Losing Spikes!

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Ecco golf shoes use "fast twist tri-lock" spikes. These are secured by a quick twist and so are very easy to put in but, unfortunately, they can come out during a round due to the foot twisting on the ground. After each round, I find that I have lost one or two. I don't mind replacing them but, if I walk too far with a missing spike, especially on paths, there is a risk that the mount in which the spike sits will become damaged and unusable. Therefore, it would be good to apply something to the spike before fitting it in order to minimise the chance of it coming out ... but clearly gluing them in would be too permanent! Has anyone got any clever ideas - perhaps from their own experience - of what substance might be used to increase the hold? Cheers.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a pair of Ecco shoes with Tri-loc spikes and was dogged with the left shoe losing a spike as it only took a twist of about 45 degrees to undo which happened when I swung through. I took this up with Ecco and they have stopped using that particular fitting of spikes now.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love my eccos, but they have similar issues.
Probably exacerbated by the fact that I use metal spikes and there are a few places on our course where you have to walk on hard surfaces.
I'm toying with changing to soft spikes to see if the flexibility reduces the impact on the screw. At the moment I just walk very gingerly across the hard stuff.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Had this problem with 2 pairs of ECCO Biom. On both pairs it got to the point where you can't get a replacement spike in because the mount is damaged. Ridiculous really given the cost of the things!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I love my eccos, but they have similar issues.
Probably exacerbated by the fact that I use metal spikes and there are a few places on our course where you have to walk on hard surfaces.
I'm toying with changing to soft spikes to see if the flexibility reduces the impact on the screw. At the moment I just walk very gingerly across the hard stuff.
I have the same problem with a pair of FJ DNA. The soft spikes they came with just crumbled so I replaced them with Champ metal spikes which are great but two on the left shoe twisted out. I glued the replacements in as I figured that the spikes would last as long as the shoes but the twisting motion that loosened them actually snapped the spike off the locking mechanism . It remains in the shoe and cannot now be replaced.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't they have a final"locked" position you have to twist them quite hard to get to?
They do, and mine definitely lock in (for now)...
I've also had problems with my previous pair (some sort of footjoy) which is why I assumed it might be my use of spikes.
It'll be very sad if they stop working, as they are very comfortable and the uppers have plenty of life left in them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They do, and mine definitely lock in (for now)...
I've also had problems with my previous pair (some sort of footjoy) which is why I assumed it might be my use of spikes.
It'll be very sad if they stop working, as they are very comfortable and the uppers have plenty of life left in them.
When I wore FJ’s with soft spikes I seem to remember having the same issue until I started to put a dab of Vaseline on each thread when installing new spikes whicy allowed the spike to go past the second locking point and stopped me losing them. It also made removal of the spikes a lot easier.
Now I wear Ecco spikeless so it’s not an issue

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've not worn a pair of ecco shoes with Spikes in since last march, just the spikeless type, but had the same problem with my last lot of Biom G2, losy the same two spikes almost every round. in the end i just chucked them as they were getting on a bit had them 5 years or so. even tried some superglue in those two, but they still came out

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Puma ones are so secure the show around them is falling apart before the cleats even look like coming loose! I thought one had fallen out but it’s actually the shoe breaking! Quick bit of superglue sorted that out.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. No, there is definitely not a further position if one tries to twist harder ... mind you, they do have the crappy system of tightening with two pins going into two holes in the spike. We can put a man on the moon, but we can't devise a decent for fixing spikes in golf shoes!

It was a long shot, but I was hoping that someone might have found out from experience that a dob of marmite, yoghurt, nail polish, cat's poo or some other substance kept them secure without making them impossible to remove later on when required. Oh well, it's back to the lost spikes, I guess.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to find the same with football boots: as soon as a stud was lost and had to be replaced then it was never possible to get one to stay in. Design flaw or planned obsolescence...

Last edited:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loctite thread lock (blue) might help. It's non-setting so designed to allow undoing. It is however meant for metal to metal so, if the cleats are plastic, who knows?? Might be worth an email to the manufacturers??