Petrol and diesel prices.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh and people not buying supermarket fuel makes me laugh. There are seven petrol refineries in the UK. Sainsburys do not make their own fuel, yes they may decide on the additive packs or 'the blend' but the standards are that tight, there is little difference between one standard unleaded and another (even less now with the whole E5/E10)

One of the big deciding factors on where you buy your fuel is how much do they sell? This will factor how long the fuel sits in the tanks underground, your local village station that sees a tanker once a month, their tanks will be full of gunk and debris, Tesco which is having a tanker a day is fresh as you like! The industry is that tightly regulated, the standards cannot be low.

PS. My dad worked for Esso/Exxon for 45 years in their R&D labs in Milton and Fawley, so I know a little bit about petrol...
Not knowing a great deal about petrol, I will usually get mine at the local Sainsbury's, as it's the closest petrol station for me but is getting the super unleaded a bad idea if you don't have a high performance car, as I will occasionally treat the car with super instead of regular?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Say what you will, but I never fill up at motorway services or supermarkets.
They will be taxing your toaster soon to recover the lost revenue from reduced combustion engine taxes.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t drive enough to bother shopping around. I mostly do Tesco anyway, but last weekend we filled up at BP (I think) because it was there and we needed a full tank for a trip.
Is there a mileage at which point it makes sense? I drive a 57 plate with 29k miles on the clock. I don’t think I can save much each year.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not knowing a great deal about petrol, I will usually get mine at the local Sainsbury's, as it's the closest petrol station for me but is getting the super unleaded a bad idea if you don't have a high performance car, as I will occasionally treat the car with super instead of regular?

No point at all unless you have a high-performance car, and even then, most modern cars will be able to run their best on what you put in. Some older cars will need the 98Ron super.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The tie to current oil price is a fallacy, they use that as an excuse to hike prices. It was getting back to 70 pre Covid and petrol wasn’t this expensive. Have a look at Brent oil price and Petrol prices UK charts and you’ll see they don’t follow each other. In particular, when the oil price crashes the petrol prices don’t go down that much at all. So don’t believe that nonsense, given what it takes to find oil, pump it from 3km under the seabed, refine it and transport it to the garage it’s remarkable that it’s about the same price as fancy bottled water per litre. The government take the proverbial. With the drive to make us drive electric they’ll lose a fortune in revenue - At the moment it’s costing tax payers to allow people own £50k EVs. The numbers make no sense if you work them out. A study in 2019 reckoned the UK would lose £30 billion a year in fuel tax revenue if all cars went electric. But what would be the cost of subsidies? Many times that. And where is the power to the grid coming from? We’re already buying in huge amounts of expensive French nuclear Power through the Interconnector to prevent blackouts when the wind doesn’t blow. And Europe are scrapping nuclear plants by the new time. It’s a house of cards and all forms of energy are getting more expensive.

Anyone would think they want low earners to just stay at home.

D

Deleted member 29109

Or use public transport.

And why are people buying bigger cars?
Do they think they are safer?

Maybe because they want a bigger car?

Not everyone wants to rattle round in a Mr Man car. Some of us enjoy space and comfort. And occasionally need the space to put 4 bikes on the roof, or have 3 kids in the back and a load of football equipment. Or 4 sets of golf clubs.

Public transport is a great option. Apart from when you live somewhere that has a bus 3 times per day, that only goes to one place. And it's bloody expensive when you are already paying for a car.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I notice that people who own big cars like 4x4's are always in denial about climate change.
It's going to be their children who will be suffering catastrophic events.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I notice that people who own big cars like 4x4's are always in denial about climate change.

Sorry but your talking rubbish

I own an electric and a big diesel car ..

I know climate change is happening and doing what I can to help reduce my footprint but I will keep my big diesel car as I have 3 kids under 5 and car seats take up massive room

That's why people have big cars ... Laws have changed ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe because they want a bigger car?

Not everyone wants to rattle round in a Mr Man car. Some of us enjoy space and comfort. And occasionally need the space to put 4 bikes on the roof, or have 3 kids in the back and a load of football equipment. Or 4 sets of golf clubs.

Public transport is a great option. Apart from when you live somewhere that has a bus 3 times per day, that only goes to one place. And it's bloody expensive when you are already paying for a car.

3 times as day the luxury :) , my village has one bus in the morning, one in the evening and both only go into town and then you need another bus to get anywhere else and, as has been seen in many rural locations, the bus companies make the times of the buses awkward so as they can get evidence that they are not being used and can get out of their obligation to run the route as there is little money in rural bus routes. Public transport cannot get me to work.

D

Deleted member 29109

I have an estate that is probably longer than most 4x4s. Am I included in this?

In fact we have 2 estates. My wife's is also a 4x4. What does that make her?

Could you be any more judgmental?

D

Deleted member 29109

3 times as day the luxury :) , my village has one bus in the morning, one in the evening and both only go into town and then you need another bus to get anywhere else and, as has been seen in many rural locations, the bus companies make the times of the buses awkward so as they can get evidence that they are not being used and can get out of their obligation to run the route as there is little money in rural bus routes. Public transport cannot get me to work.

It's not been 3 times for very long. It used to be about 7.30 in the morning. Then something like 4.45 in the afternoon. Not very useful to many. They have since added a lunchtime service.
All of that is dependent on the thing actually turning up, or not breaking down part way through the journey.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

My wife has a 4x4 a she works on construction sites plus our village has been known to get snowed in over winter and so we have one 4x4 to all us to get out for essential supplies. No denial about climate change at all but sometimes you need the right tool for the right job, plus the network or rural charging stations for an electric car is not exactly massive.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We’re up to €1.48 a litre. A year ago it was €0.89 a litre. Find a garage inland and it drops to €1.33 but the tourists are getting reamed.