Petrol and diesel prices.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been reported that its at a 8 year high. Whilst driving down south some of the prices are eye watering. I nearly always fill up at a supermarket. But how can a petrol station charge 6p a litre more than a supermarket. I stopped on the M5 on the way down, the prices are shocking. So do you shop around or not.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been reported that its at a 8 year high. Whilst driving down south some of the prices are eye watering. I nearly always fill up at a supermarket. But how can a petrol station charge 6p a litre more than a supermarket. I stopped on the M5 on the way down, the prices are shocking. So do you shop around or not.

Worst is the motorway services. Day light robbery

I had to fill up the juggernaut this week for first time in ages as had a few long trips with family and golf planned

1.34 I think I paid per litre .. £35 to cover the 179 miles it had done. Sickening

Motorway services on way to Southampton ...1.53 a litre (both BP the price above and that)

Doesn't add much to cost services . Easy to get tankers there.. just know people who use them are desperate

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is all about the price they can get away with, nothing more. We have a good number of Morrisons up here. They will price match, or beat, their nearest competitor (in terms of distance). That means they can have wild swings within Morrisons own stations withing a 10-15 mile radius.

I believe that the OPEC countries agreed to increase production in August so we should start to see a drop in prices in the next few weeks. Can't come quickly enough.

@bobmac don't do it, don't do it :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
During lockdown one we were down to nearly a pound a litre round my way, back up to nearly £1.30 now. As mentioned above, guess production was cut during the global lockdowns and is now being pumped up again.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is all about the price they can get away with, nothing more. We have a good number of Morrisons up here. They will price match, or beat, their nearest competitor (in terms of distance). That means they can have wild swings within Morrisons own stations withing a 10-15 mile radius.

I believe that the OPEC countries agreed to increase production in August so we should start to see a drop in prices in the next few weeks. Can't come quickly enough.

@bobmac don't do it, don't do it :LOL:

Until the gov stop seeing motorists as a cash cow you will never see a proper drop

Vat on fuel is disgusting when it's already taxed for example.. it's tax on tax

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
During lockdown one we were down to nearly a pound a litre round my way, back up to nearly £1.30 now. As mentioned above, guess production was cut during the global lockdowns and is now being pumped up again.

local pump here is mid 140s :eek: def have to shop around

oil at 70 bucks a barrel and in no rush to pull back it seems, prices going to be staying high for a while youd think

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Until the gov stop seeing motorists as a cash cow you will never see a proper drop

The current variations are not tax increases though, it is supply, demand and opportunism.

I don't think govts will ever stop seeing motorists as a cash cow, they are a captive market and that makes them pefect for taxation.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The current variations are not tax increases though, it is supply, demand and opportunism.

I don't think govts will ever stop seeing motorists as a cash cow, they are a captive market and that makes them pefect for taxation.

Yet with every increase in the cost of oil tax rises due to vat , should be removed

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are right, that is a fair point. It gets a double increase due to the VAT (y)

I've drastically cut my milage in the juggernaut and it's really noticeable.

Used to do 12000 a year in it

Now won't do over 5000 if that this year and 12000 In the Corsa it really makes difference

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sainsbury's always seem to be 5p a litre cheaper near us.

Lot of people won't touch supermarket fuel due to them being "substandard" on research it seems they don't put in additives BP put in

I was told if you use it just have BP petrol once say every 5 tanks and it will keep your engine fine

But Sainsbury's did have an issue few years back where someone got the chemicals wrong at the factory and it ruined cars ..

Can happen to anyone but it stuck

Personally I never had an issue with any super market fuel

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
ASDA and Tesco are generally the cheapest in town, but my local Morrisons on my doorstep is a penny more at worst, and not worth the additional distance or time to save a penny a litre. The petrol stations up closer to the city centre are usually close to 10p a litre more expensive

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Supermarkets are also loss leaders. You’ll go buy their produce while you’re there.

Very true, I believe their margins on fuel is 1p or something stupid like that as you say they gamble you will do your weekly shop at same time

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
So much price-fixing round my way, Hungerford has 2 petrol stations, both at 140.9! Head east to Newbury and its down to 135.9, yet out of town is 2-3p cheaper, further east to Reading and it is the high 120's!! Although Chieveley Services (M4 J13) is 156.9 today!!! LOL

Does my nut in, luckily I am in Reading quite a bit, so always top up there.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh and people not buying supermarket fuel makes me laugh. There are seven petrol refineries in the UK. Sainsburys do not make their own fuel, yes they may decide on the additive packs or 'the blend' but the standards are that tight, there is little difference between one standard unleaded and another (even less now with the whole E5/E10)

One of the big deciding factors on where you buy your fuel is how much do they sell? This will factor how long the fuel sits in the tanks underground, your local village station that sees a tanker once a month, their tanks will be full of gunk and debris, Tesco which is having a tanker a day is fresh as you like! The industry is that tightly regulated, the standards cannot be low.

PS. My dad worked for Esso/Exxon for 45 years in their R&D labs in Milton and Fawley, so I know a little bit about petrol...

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

With a £300bn fiscal deficit last year and another large one coming up and debt of over 2 trillion of government debt, not the time for a cut in petrol taxes! I would rather extra taxes on things deemed luxury or at least, in many cases, discretionary. We have a large hole to plug. Taxes are going up and I would not be surprised if they hit fuel taxes again. There is also a growing problem that electric cars are increasing so the proportion of taxes through fuel is going down. This trend will accelerate massively. So I also do not see any other option than road taxes on a pay-as-you-use basis coming in within the next few years

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
So what if prices have risen. They always do when it's driving season in America.
At least you can get fuel. I've known a time when you struggled.
That was 1973 and the petrol crisis. Fuel was rationed and we were given coupons.
There were queues at service stations with many motorists just there to top up their tanks.

Read Old Moor's Almanac for this year.
It forecast fuel prices to rise then fall.
Last year it forecast a pandemic.

Let's not discuss what it got wrong.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
With a £300bn fiscal deficit last year and another large one coming up and debt of over 2 trillion of government debt, not the time for a cut in petrol taxes! I would rather extra taxes on things deemed luxury or at least, in many cases, discretionary. We have a large hole to plug. Taxes are going up and I would not be surprised if they hit fuel taxes again. There is also a growing problem that electric cars are increasing so the proportion of taxes through fuel is going down. This trend will accelerate massively. So I also do not see any other option than road taxes on a pay-as-you-use basis coming in within the next few years

All the more reason to walk or cycle! (if possible)