Perceived forgiveness.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
maybe if you played more forgiving clubs that are designed to help you, you may lose the high handicap? :confused:

Dude, he is the reason young people do not take the game up, he is the reason golf is not cool... don't fight him on it. As time goes by one hopes that the old guard and old attitudes die off and golf becomes for everyone not just the snobs. OMG thank you that I do not come in contact with people like this in the real world of golf!!!!

Thought you weren't posting any more....;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dude, he is the reason young people do not take the game up, he is the reason golf is not cool... don't fight him on it. As time goes by one hopes that the old guard and old attitudes die off and golf becomes for everyone not just the snobs. OMG thank you that I do not come in contact with people like this in the real world of golf!!!!

Personally Al' I think he makes some very good points. He has, and is rightly entitled to, his opinion. In the same way that I am and have mine.

'Some' people will buy a club, or set of clubs, simply because they look good/shiney/cool/desirable. Of this I have no doubt and agree 100%

....... I'm not one of them however :D

A

Alex1975

For me though the points are totally overshadowed by the fact that he is trying to make a fool of you.... You little high handicapper you...

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For me though the points are totally overshadowed by the fact that he is trying to make a fool of you.... You little high handicapper you...

I'm not trying to make a fool of anyone, I've pointed out the ridiculousness of claiming there's little room for improvement in a player playing off 14.

As for snobbery? LMAO, I'm not the one advocating playing blades. Perhaps you should stop trolling if you have nothing positive to add, which it seems you don't. Advocating playing GI clubs is old school is it? You'll have to explain that one. Advocating making the game easier is uncool is it?

I'm not in the least bit worried about being cool, I'm on the committee of a club that does everything it can to encourage youngsters. The last thing in the world I'd be advocating to these youngsters is playing clubs that massage your ego, but murder your game.

Perhaps instead of being a [Mod Edit] you might try the same?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow, that escalated quickly.
Alex1975 is showing as a guest, has he been banned or cancelled his membership? Shame, I liked that guy.

I started lessons with a new pro last week. I was looking at some G25 irons in the shop after and mentioned to him that I was thinking of something more forgiving. He said no way, the way you strike your irons stick with what you have.
I'm off 17.
There, that should keep things going... ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I started lessons with a new pro last week. I was looking at some G25 irons in the shop after and mentioned to him that I was thinking of something more forgiving. He said no way, the way you strike your irons stick with what you have.

Can I ask what made you think you needed more forgiveness?

D

Deleted member 18121

Can I ask what made you think you needed more forgiveness?

Because I have sinned, oh praise the lord!

On a serious note....I've had Nike VR Pro Combo CBs for a few months now. The CB on the Mid > low irons definitely gives me more leeway to be a numpty, but the more blade like short irons go really nicely. I guess we're more likely to strike a short iron better as there is less room for it to go wrong.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You've got a lot of sweetspot hits there..... surrounded with a lot of miss-hits :D

Have you thought about a set of Dunlops? :whoo:

Can I just clarify that the above post was pure sarcasm (hence the smileys) I think that clubface dispersion is pretty darn good in Gareth's pics (probably better than my own) I like to see worn sweetspots on clubs, up to a point of course (don't want the grooves to be too worn out!).

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You'd like the hosels on my clubs then!! :whoo:

Obviously missed all of the abusive stuff that seems to have gone on

Nothing too abusive mate. Just good debate regarding the need for Mid/High handicappers to use GI clubs. Fairly resonates with me at the moment as my lay off has negatively affected my ability to consistantly hit the sweetspot on my blade type clubs. Which is why I'm currently on the lookout for some Ping G15/G20's to use next year...

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can I just clarify that the above post was pure sarcasm (hence the smileys) I think that clubface dispersion is pretty darn good in Gareth's pics (probably better than my own) I like to see worn sweetspots on clubs, up to a point of course (don't want the grooves to be too worn out!).
Agreed. Worn sweetspots are what we should all be aiming for, not that that is what we are seeing there. A pro's worn sweetspot will be the size of a 10p piece. Now I'm not saying you need to be that concentrated to hit blades, but I am saying the pics on show were a long way from it.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting post and I agree. Golf can be more about how good your bad shots are. Clubs dont need t be fogiving if you it them out of the screws all the time.

Here's a great post. It's as much about your bad shots as your good. And what helps the bad shots? Well FORGIVING clubs would be a start.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coming from somebody that has crossed swords with Mr Jars on more than one occasion concerning CF, i'd like to to eat some crow and congratulate him for his input on this thread.
There really are some deluded golfers on this forum, and the phrase "all the gear no idea" really does typify this place at times.
Bad advice from somebody who isn't qualified to offer advice, is exactly that, no matter how well intended.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Here's a great post. It's as much about your bad shots as your good. And what helps the bad shots? Well FORGIVING clubs would be a start.

As I said previous, it depends on what your bad shot is.

If your bad shot is hitting the ball fat, how is more forgiveness going to help?

If your bad shot is hitting the ball thin, how is more forgiveness going to help?

If your bad shot is topping the ball, how is more forgiveness going to help?

Now, If your bad shot is, non of the above but you have an inconsistent strike pattern, I.E If you hit 100+ balls with a club, and there are marks all over the face with no clear concentration in a specific area, then, yes more forgiveness can help, but how much?

I know from previous experience between my Taylormade R7 irons and MP63/32, the distance between two similar mis-hits is less than 10 yards, with the GI clubs being the further of the two.

As I said before, if you're hitting the ball all over the club face, with no decernable pattern, then GI clubs will help. However, if your strike dispersion isn't terrible, you can play a 'better players' iron.

Just my opinion.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I said previous, it depends on what your bad shot is.

If your bad shot is hitting the ball fat, how is more forgiveness going to help?

If your bad shot is hitting the ball thin, how is more forgiveness going to help?

If your bad shot is topping the ball, how is more forgiveness going to help?

Now, If your bad shot is, non of the above but you have an inconsistent strike pattern, I.E If you hit 100+ balls with a club, and there are marks all over the face with no clear concentration in a specific area, then, yes more forgiveness can help, but how much?

I know from previous experience between my Taylormade R7 irons and MP63/32, the distance between two similar mis-hits is less than 10 yards, with the GI clubs being the further of the two.

As I said before, if you're hitting the ball all over the club face, with no decernable pattern, then GI clubs will help. However, if your strike dispersion isn't terrible, you can play a 'better players' iron.

Just my opinion.

Gareth, i'm interested whats your bad shots?

I'm sure you hit the ball fine, but i have come to the concusion that we all needs a bit of help.

I played MP62 for the last 3 years and i hit them well most of the time, but bad shots went nowhere, so i switched to GI irons, sure they are fugly looking things imo, but they are far easier to hit and go 10 yards further, shure the lofts are i bit dodgy, but who cares.

I'm playing crap at the moment but still managed 4 birdies on Sat in a team comp, i doubt i would have got 1 with the MP's

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth, i'm interested whats your bad shots?

I'm sure you hit the ball fine, but i have come to the concusion that we all needs a bit of help.

I played MP62 for the last 3 years and i hit them well most of the time, but bad shots went nowhere, so i switched to GI irons, sure they are fugly looking things imo, but they are far easier to hit and go 10 yards further, shure the lofts are i bit dodgy, but who cares.

I'm playing crap at the moment but still managed 4 birdies on Sat in a team comp, i doubt i would have got 1 with the MP's

My bad shot is, and has always been, a pull. No amount of high C.O.R numbers will help that

I take the ball cleanly, with a divot after the ball. When it all goes well, I get the ball starting straight with a gentle fade as it begins to fall. When I get it wrong, I get the pull.

I still take the ball as previous when I hit the pull, but with the clubface mirroring the path (left) I get a straight pull, 10-15 yards left of my target. Purely a swing path/club face issue.

As I say, would moving to a set of G25, JPX825, Slingshots or A.N other GI club slove that issue for me? No, as the fault is purely down to swing path/club face. Not how the ball is struck.

Of course I don't find the middle of the face all the time, but I find it often enough, as evidenced by the pictures on this and previous threads, to make the irons useable.

When I was fitted earlier in the year, the club fitter had me hit an amount of balls ith some impact tape on the face. The results were similar to the picture above. The main concentration being in and around the middle, with a smattering of slightly off-centre strikes thrown in for good measure. He was confident I could use the irons effectively an the numbers on the monitor suggested so too.

I suppose it comes down to confidnce.

I'm confident using the irons I have. They go in the direction where I want them to go most of the time, and, the required distance, again most of the time.

I have no issue with people using GI clubs. You're clearly a much better player than me Patrick, and, if you feel that the GI rons give you a little more confidence to shoot better scores when you're not swinging well, great. No doubt the more I progress, my mind set may change, but for now I'm confident in my current set.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth, I agree with Gareth....and HJ :D

I agree with HJ that more forgiving irons could benefit everyone. But there is no way on earth I am using an ugly golf club. Maybe that attitude is at the detriment of my game but I am happy to forgo a bit of forgiveness to use a club I like the look of. I think I have proved that I am good enough to use the clubs I do and am prepared to accept that when I'm not on my game, I may not get as much forgiveness as I would with an ugly (I mean GI) club. On the flip side, I know that when I've played well it's because I played well and not because the clubs masked some of my issues.