PCC adjustment

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure whether there is an exact definition but should like clarification how it is calculated.

There is 0.1 difference between slope and par at our Club.

Difficult conditions on Saturday when 126 played in a medal. 4 players bettered par.

Around 3% of the field.

Would some of the more knowledgeable people on here be good enough to explain why there was no adjustment?
Thank you

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that it is a proprietary 'black box' and you have to take it on trust that it works.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Review all your competition results vs the amount of players who broke nett par and it will indicate whether it’s being used or not.

wjemather

Visit site
Not sure whether there is an exact definition but should like clarification how it is calculated.

Difficult conditions on Saturday when 126 played in a medal. 4 players bettered par.

Around 3% of the field.

Would some of the more knowledgeable people on here be good enough to explain why there was no adjustment?
Thank you
Average scores are 3-4 over handicap, so it is expected that general scoring is a few strokes worse than nett par (36 points).

If you want to get a rough feel for when PCC will kick in you need to look at the proportion of the field returning scores of at least one or two strokes worse than the expected average, in relation to the proportion scoring close to handicap or better.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Average scores are 3-4 over handicap, so it is expected that general scoring is a few strokes worse than nett par (36 points).

If you want to get a rough feel for when PCC will kick in you need to look at the proportion of the field returning scores of at least one or two strokes worse than the expected average, in relation to the proportion scoring close to handicap or better.
But to do this a person would need to know what the expected statistical scoring distribution of each handicap is. Without this information there is no way that one can guess when PCC might kick in and by how much.

wjemather

Visit site
But to do this a person would need to know what the expected statistical scoring distribution of each handicap is. Without this information there is no way that one can guess when PCC might kick in and by how much.
Not at all - 3 to 4 strokes over handicap will do just fine for a rough estimation.

Most people struggling to understand why PCC isn't kicking in are only looking at how many people played to or beat their handicap when the benchmark is several strokes worse than that, and are clouded by their own perception of how difficult it was.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not at all - 3 to 4 strokes over handicap will do just fine for a rough estimation.

Most people struggling to understand why PCC isn't kicking in are only looking at how many people played to or beat their handicap when the benchmark is several strokes worse than that, and are clouded by their own perception of how difficult it was.

Just looked again at scores following WJEM's comment.
19 were 3 over, 15%
34 were 4 over, 27% in total

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The issues with PCC, rather than the previous CONGU adjustment for conditions, include the following

1. Calculation includes all scores returned that day, not just single competition field.
2. Calculation compares all scores with expected, normal, scoring distribution. Previously only the scores to the right of the normal distribution curve were considered and it was a lot easier to get a feel for things with a snapshot of the % players playing to buffer (as was).

The commonality is, as has been indicated already, that the number of players scoring better than 'par'/ CR etc isn't in itself important.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

And what proportion (or however it's denoted) effects a change from zero? If you see what I mean...

This is an excellent illustration of the difficulty of deploying "a new way!" No one actually needs to know this, but the human condition makes us want to. :)

We could wait till the following morning and just look at the app! :eek: Nope, we're in the bar after the round saying, "ooh it was windy, PPC must have changed" And of course, that's dodgy ground!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And what proportion (or however it's denoted) effects a change from zero? If you see what I mean...

This is an excellent illustration of the difficulty of deploying "a new way!" No one actually needs to know this, but the human condition makes us want to. :)

We could wait till the following morning and just look at the app! :eek: Nope, we're in the bar after the round saying, "ooh it was windy, PPC must have changed" And of course, that's dodgy ground!
Exactly. I have never heard PCC mentioned at the club but seems to really worry people on this forum.

wjemather

Visit site

Much like CSS, you kind of get a feel for it, but in order to get that, you have to be looking at an appropriate benchmark and many aren't - they are looking at nett par/36 points, which is probably at the top end of (or even better than) expected scores.

Almost no-one knew "the old way" either, but many still speculated on whether it would shift in the bar after the round (until and unless software predicted it for them in real time).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ah, your course is getting everyone else's adjustments! :)

Either that or most of the seniors section are heading the wrong way fast with their handicaps so they can't actually play to them.

Which of course the PCC would equate to difficult conditions.
(Incidentally, conditions weren't the best)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Around 3% of the field.

Thank you

One the things that may have been missed mentioning by others is that the PCC calculation is based upon all scores recorded that day not just those playing a comp.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In my last 20 qualifying scores there were two instances of +2 PCC and one +1 PCC.
The two +2 were at my home club and my two scores were garbage.
The +1 PCC was an away course with CR of 1.4 over par and a SR of 139. A score of 8 over par gave me a SD of 4.6 which will be in my best 8 for its duration.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is that 31 competitions without a PCC , you must have very consistent scorers are your club who can play in any conditions
More GP than comps but I'll often play on a day when I don't enter a comp for whatever reason
Plus we get somewhere in the region of 30 or 40 GP cards per day when there isn't a comp on.