Paul Runyan - chip and run method...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The simple chip and run is a shot that has evaded me all my life. Could not play it for toffee. Till now.

I had tried everything you could think of and even most parts of this technique apart from one vital ingredient. This is the grip. Hugely important as it locks the wrists and won't let them hinge.

To play it ...

Super weak left hand position
Pretty strong right hand position
Raise the handle so heel is off the ground. Shaft a lot more vertical (allows for less arc, more straight back and thru stroke)
Ball back in stance (around back foot)
Hands ahead.
Basically putting stroke, slightly descending.

I could never play this as I had far too strong left hand. I always hinged too much and was forever sticking the leading edge into the turf. Duff.

Spent just over an hour at the putting green trying this and was blown away. Played a few holes with my mate after and showed him. Both loving it.

This works even better from light semi rough greenside as the toe picks the ball lovely. Gets the ball rolling at the hole and you feel you can hole the chip.

This is absolutely massive for me. No more high chips when it isn't necessary.

Videos to follow for those interested.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;EistB62E6pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EistB62E6pw&t=210s[/video]

First video I watched on it. Describes it really well.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;PEcuqPF1DM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEcuqPF1DM8[/video]

The man himself explaining how and why he came up with this technique.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;-MSlQECpRos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSlQECpRos[/video]

Me having a go at it @ the putting green. 7 iron.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I had a short game lesson and was taught this method and it has been good so far. I've also sort of adapted it to use with my wedges from about 40-50 yards but that's still work in progress.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;ImMVti-BNdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMVti-BNdM[/video]

Short video. Doesn't fully explain it but worth a quick duke if short on time. Doesn't explain the grip or hands ahead.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a short game lesson and was taught this method and it has been good so far. I've also sort of adapted it to use with my wedges from about 40-50 yards but that's still work in progress.

There was a great Jim furyk video showing him play this with everything from 4 iron to wedges but it seems to be deleted. He only said to use your putting grip. He didn't say to go super weak left and strong right unfortunately or I would have sussed this out years ago.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;_-ES9EBKG1k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ES9EBKG1k&t=321s[/video]

Essential viewing. :thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drives home the key points of good chipping.

I agree with a lot of it, actually pretty much all of it. The guy talks sense.

I think the same can be achieved without a lot of the adjustments, I always think back to bobmac's shaft on two range baskets. Try to chip the ball under the baskets and it will go over them.

It does seem good solid chipping technique, I just couldn't adopt what I see as over complications.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see a lot of merit in it. I'll stick with linear but if it works then why not. Watched the videos and it's actually something someone once showed me and I did use it a few years back for a short while

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Drives home the key points of good chipping.

I agree with a lot of it, actually pretty much all of it. The guy talks sense.

I think the same can be achieved without a lot of the adjustments, I always think back to bobmac's shaft on two range baskets. Try to chip the ball under the baskets and it will go over them.

It does seem good solid chipping technique, I just couldn't adopt what I see as over complications.

The adjustments are vital. The raised handle is something I was wary of. I just couldn't see how this would work well. It does. The raised handle allows for a straighter stroke. This in turn hits the ball unbelievably straight. Without this, you have too much of an arc with the face opening and closing. Trust me, this works an absolute treat.

Not forgetting the grip. Some people will have a natural weak left hand. Others like me won't. This is game changer. Locks those wrists.

NB: I tried this with the club in normal position (not heel raised) and it doesn't work well. The heel catches the ground on too many shots.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

The adjustments are vital. The raised handle is something I was wary of. I just couldn't see how this would work well. It does. The raised handle allows for a straighter stroke. This in turn hits the ball unbelievably straight. Without this, you have too much of an arc with the face opening and closing. Trust me, this works an absolute treat.

Not forgetting the grip. Some people will have a natural weak left hand. Others like me won't. This is game changer. Locks those wrists.

NB: I tried this with the club in normal position (not heel raised) and it doesn't work well. The heel catches the ground on too many shots.
Didn't Karen(FairwayDodger) post something similar a while back about lifting the heel to help with chipping (apologies if I've got confused)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was showing you the merits of this shot 3 years ago, but no, you had to go billy big time with your lovely spinning Pro-V check shots......:D

I dont do the raised handle bit, but to me the secret is keeping the club close to the ground in the take away for as long as possible.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Didn't Karen(FairwayDodger) post something similar a while back about lifting the heel to help with chipping (apologies if I've got confused)

The raised heel is nothing new to me. It just doesn't work well for me if I have my normal super strong left hand as I hinge the club too much on way back.

Liverbirdie tried his best to teach me and bump and run shot but for the life of me I couldn't master it due to that left hand.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was showing you the merits of this shot 3 years ago, but no, you had to go billy big time with your lovely spinning Pro-V check shots......:D

I dont do the raised handle bit, but to me the secret is keeping the club close to the ground in the take away for as long as possible.

Speak of the devil. :rofl: you did tell me I had a strong grip. :rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You are actually a perfect example of someone who naturally holds the club slightly weak left, stronger right.

Give this a go big man. With the raised heel and even weaker left and stronger right. Unbelievably straight chips.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I still use my normal grip.
i find this method helps you stay taller. I think a lot of my issues were caused by slouching.

D

Deleted member 16999

The raised heel is nothing new to me. It just doesn't work well for me if I have my normal super strong left hand as I hinge the club too much on way back.

Liverbirdie tried his best to teach me and bump and run shot but for the life of me I couldn't master it due to that left hand.
One thing I noticed between the first video and the Paul Runyan one, Runyan didn't mention the straightening of the shaft, also you didn't straighten the shaft in your video as much as the first one, did you try it more upright, if you did, did it change the result?