Patrick Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjw

Visit site
Whether he identified the ball or not, it's clear that the ball went in the first tree. I'm not sure what angle people are watching that suggests otherwise. That Sky link even shows it in slow motion for all to see - there's no way the ball, on that trajectory, goes into any of the further two trees.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The ball that reed said he thought was his until the referee said he had to be certain and so Reed changed his mind
Reed isn't alone in having a history of these shenanigans. Kuchar has a couple, his best being the drive that landed and spun back into its own pitch mark. Mickelson in Myakoba getting relief from a sprinkler that interfered with his swing. He was in shrubbery so deep and dense that the camera couldn't pick him out. He couldn't swing because of the density, but if he could have the sprinkler would have interfered with it.

My favourite is Charl Schwartzel asking for relief from a sprinkler which was at least 2 feet in front of his ball. He claimed that he could possibly catch it during the swing and potentially injure himself. By coincidence, he had a dreadful lie and relief would have allowed him to drop on the fairway.

It was total guff. The watching world, including the referee could see that there was no case for relief. Schwartzel was practically begging the ref to agree with him, which would of course have legitimised the decision, but to his credit the ref stood his ground. He just kept on repeating that if Schartzel was absolutely sure of his case then he should go ahead and take relief.

He played as it lay. He knew that without the protection of the referee's agreement he would come under serious, and deserved, scrutiny after the round.

D

Deleted member 31467

Because the Referee agreed at the time that he could see the ball in the tree.
Yes the ref agreed with Reed but we don't know if Reed told the truth. He looked into the tree with binoculars and spotted a ball.

"See that ball there with a line on it? That's my ball"

"OK Patrick, I'm happy if you are"

What he should have done is asked to see another ball out of Reed's bag to compare but who is going to question a player's integrity?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, no matter what we thought we heard, the officials statement after the round stated that the referee positively identified the ball.

Except he didn't, the referee agreed he could see the marking that Reed was describing (Reed already having looked at it himself), and Reed said "it looks like" his ball, only altering that statement after the referee told him he had to be certain.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes the ref agreed with Reed but we don't know if Reed told the truth. He looked into the tree with binoculars and spotted a ball.

"See that ball there with a line on it? That's my ball"

"OK Patrick, I'm happy if you are"

What he should have done is asked to see another ball out of Reed's bag to compare but who is going to question a player's integrity?
Apologies if I've missed it, but surely some enterprising hack is hiring a ladder and shinning up there?
Most pros have very distinctive ball markings.
Though maybe ut suits PR to keep it simple...

D

Deleted member 1147

Apologies if I've missed it, but surely some enterprising hack is hiring a ladder and shinning up there?
Most pros have very distinctive ball markings.
Though maybe ut suits PR to keep it simple...
Probably says Titleist on one half and Taylormade on the other

sunshine

Visit site
1. The ref asked if Reed could identify his own distinctive marking.
2. Reed just described the black alignment arrow on a Pro V1.
3. The ref confirmed he could see the arrow.

Essentially the ref is trusting the integrity of the golfer when he confirms that it's his ball. Golf works differently from many other sports in that it relies on the integrity of the the player. If a player is prepared to lie he will get away with it, but I'm happy for this as it works 99% of the time. This isn't football.

sunshine

Visit site
Where's the integrity in the game guys?

You're calling out multiple officials, Reed and his playing partners as being complicit in intentional cheating in order to gain an advantage. Meanwhile Rory did something incredibly similar two days ago, and nobody bats an eyelid.

The TV evidence suggests they got it wrong today, but there's no way Reed managed to engineer all those circumstances to suit himself.

This post is truly pathetic.

Four legs good, two legs bad

Status
Not open for further replies.