Pat Perez Flying PXG Head

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you see or has someone said whether it was a shaft breakage or an epoxy failure.

I have had several epoxy failures over the years.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Because you can’t see what brand of shaft it is !!! The shaft snapping has nothing to do with PXG, people are only going on about it because it’s PXG.

Of course its something to do with PXG. PXG sourced the shaft, and I assume a damned good shaft. PXG are responsible for the product, irrespective of where the components where sourced from. PXG would be contractually obliged to the buyer if Joe Public had one that snapped. No doubt there's been some discussions behind the scenes with their supplier but outwardly its a PXG issue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course its something to do with PXG. PXG sourced the shaft, and I assume a damned good shaft. PXG are responsible for the product, irrespective of where the components where sourced from. PXG would be contractually obliged to the buyer if Joe Public had one that snapped. No doubt there's been some discussions behind the scenes with their supplier but outwardly its a PXG issue.

I still don't see it. Say for arguments sake it was a KBS shaft, it is that that has failed and whether that is down to the shaft itself or an issue with the epoxy, the head of the club itself isn't the problem. The issue would like either with KBS and the quality of that shaft or the fitter. If it's the latter then yes it would be a PXG issue as I imagine their guys put the club together and there may be a discussion as to what happened but other than that I don't see the fuss. Imagine the meltdown if it was one of the M5 or M6 drives and DJ or another of their poster players that was pictured with the head flying!!!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a PXG issue because he is a PXG staff player, and his driver head has just seperated from the shaft in full view of everyone, on the range at an event.
Will be PXG be more concerned about the head seperating from the shaft or the bad PR they will be picking up over this...... I know what I think;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still don't see it. Say for arguments sake it was a KBS shaft, it is that that has failed and whether that is down to the shaft itself or an issue with the epoxy, the head of the club itself isn't the problem. The issue would like either with KBS and the quality of that shaft or the fitter. If it's the latter then yes it would be a PXG issue as I imagine their guys put the club together and there may be a discussion as to what happened but other than that I don't see the fuss. Imagine the meltdown if it was one of the M5 or M6 drives and DJ or another of their poster players that was pictured with the head flying!!!
You're only looking at from your perspective. To the layman, 90% of golfers or people with only a passing interest who don't even play, they are looking at that video thinking nothing more than "his PXG driver just broke in his hands". It's that simple really.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone who plays the game knows this happens.
In very hot weather the expoy can give way.
But it’s not good PR , PXG would be better just making an explanation and end the speculation.
Without blaming anyone.

D

Deleted member 18588

You're only looking at from your perspective. To the layman, 90% of golfers or people with only a passing interest who don't even play, they are looking at that video thinking nothing more than "his PXG driver just broke in his hands". It's that simple really.

The layman, as you call him, probably hasn't got a clue what clubs PP plays or who PXG are and what marketing claims they may make.

The only people bothered seem to be a bunch of saddoes occupying a golf forum and who are never likely to be buying PXG products in any event.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

^^^ correct.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The layman, as you call him, probably hasn't got a clue what clubs PP plays or who PXG are and what marketing claims they may make.

The only people bothered seem to be a bunch of saddoes occupying a golf forum and who are never likely to be buying PXG products in any event.

Hobbit is absolutely correct that it is PXG's problem even if the it was a shaft problem.

If you or I bought a PXG club from a PXG fitter, or Mizuno from a Mizuno fitter or whatever. Even if they do no not manufacturer the shaft you are buying the club as a whole. PXG or whoever are guaranteeing the quality, and you will have the Consumer Rights Act on your side where an item bought by a consumer has to be of sufficient quality.

Yes if it is a shaft problem PXG will go back to KBS or Nippon or whoever and recover the costs or find out if it was a one off or a batch error. But from a consumers point of view PXG are at fault. So when they see a video of a PXG club breaking, most people know that if that happens to their clubs then the manufacturer is responsible therefor PXG are at fault

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This thread is just classic internet.

My big question is why some people build up such commitment/love for certain brands? Rightly or wrongly, this is a negative for PXG and I'm surprised that anyone can argue against that part.

It's like seeing road accident footage where a BMW just suddenly loses control due to a tyre blowout. It may well be Pirelli/Continental/etc's fault, but people will relate that negative footage back to the BMW brand.

D

Deleted member 21258

Things break, that's life. Things don't last forever <./.>

Wouldn't be bad for the brand, only if it happens a lot or is considered a fault.

D

Deleted member 1147

FollowFollow @pxg
More
Replying to @[B]kelpe_davis[/B]
Hi Davis! No you should not. That was a shaft issue - the shaft was not tightened correctly in our driver head. You have nothing to worry about
1f60e.png
^B

This guy clearly thought there was an issue with the club - thus making it look bad for PXG (unless you go by the old no news is good news adage) - (I don;t know how to link to a Twitter posting)

D

Deleted member 18588

Hobbit is absolutely correct that it is PXG's problem even if the it was a shaft problem.

If you or I bought a PXG club from a PXG fitter, or Mizuno from a Mizuno fitter or whatever. Even if they do no not manufacturer the shaft you are buying the club as a whole. PXG or whoever are guaranteeing the quality, and you will have the Consumer Rights Act on your side where an item bought by a consumer has to be of sufficient quality.

Yes if it is a shaft problem PXG will go back to KBS or Nippon or whoever and recover the costs or find out if it was a one off or a batch error. But from a consumers point of view PXG are at fault. So when they see a video of a PXG club breaking, most people know that if that happens to their clubs then the manufacturer is responsible therefor PXG are at fault

Don't think Pat Perez will have a claim against PXG!

My point is, Who cares?

As far as I am aware PXG haven't denied responsibility and I am sure that, like all manufacturers they would treat any customer fairly in the event of a similar failure.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't think Pat Perez will have a claim against PXG!

My point is, Who cares?

As far as I am aware PXG haven't denied responsibility and I am sure that, like all manufacturers they would treat any customer fairly in the event of a similar failure.

But people generally associate what they see with personal experience. No one knows what it's like as a tour pro, but everybody has had something break which they've tried to remedy.

Who cares, well no one really, not here anyway. But it's a discussion forum so we discuss things.

In my opinion, given PXG's price point and marketing as the best researched and made clubs around this publicity will affect them more than say TaylorMade.

My point about the CRA and claim is that the club manufacturer is responsible for the whole club not just the component they directly manufactured. So from a publicity point of view from which I am coming from is that this could hurt PXG. The average punter cares not what bit failed, they have just seen a club fall apart, a very expensive club at that. It may not be a conscious problem, but when shopping for a new driver I wonder how many people will have a subconscious bias against PXG because of this

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Its a PXG club, its that simple. If you look at many clubs you will see, for example, KBS shafts/Lamkin grips etc. But if that club broke or the grip twisted which manufacturer would you contact, the club manufacturer or the component manufacturer? And if you were taking it back to American Golf, who would they contact? I don't doubt that the head is (probably) 100% ok.

The damage is to PXG's reputation, not KBS's.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it happened during a competition round he can replace it’s long as it is deemed accidental, damaging it by slamming it into the ground in temper or something else you can’t repair it and can’t use it.

You might like to get up to speed with the revised rules in this area....basically this is wrong regarding using it, wrong regarding repair (if the original shaft, grip and head are used) and wrong regarding replacement unless MLR G-9 is in play.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a bit of a witch hunt really.

The old saying goes there is no such thing as bad press. PXG is in the news, being talked about and in the long run that is only good for them.