Parkland courses in England

Status
Not open for further replies.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to get out & play some, makeup your own mind. Maybe you’ll get some invites from here 🤣🤣🤣

D

Deleted member 21258

That explains a lot.

I thought you played on a parkland course yourself, I know Loch Lomond definitely does not drain well and I played it in the middle of this hot summer:eek::ROFLMAO:, but surely your other course doesn't necessarily drain well over winter as well ?

Is your course not on clay ? and suffer from bad drainage being parkland ? or is it one of those parkland courses were drainage isn't to bad ?

Coming from clay based areas myself(Essex especially), parkland generally gets muddy in winter tbh and as LQ says not the prettiest in winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played nearly every course in Dorset, lots of the courses in Hampshire/Wiltshire and a lot of the courses in West Devon and my answer would be no.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No courses near me look great at the moment. We have just come out of a heck of a drought, and yep, the fairways look a bit dead. They will bounce back, but not really until next spring. Judging now is ridiculous.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh yeah, my dull boring parkland course was designed by Old Tom Morris, with bunkers put in by 5 time open champion J H Taylor. The back 5 had to be moved, so H S Colt got involved, and then it was all given a polish by Alister Mackenzie.

Obviously these 4 guys just loved designing goat tracks. They clearly know zip about course design, because who has ever heard of any of them?

D

Deleted member 1418

Oh yeah, my dull boring parkland course was designed by Old Tom Morris, with bunkers put in by 5 time open champion J H Taylor. The back 5 had to be moved, so H S Colt got involved, and then it was all given a polish by Alister Mackenzie.

Obviously these 4 guys just loved designing goat tracks. They clearly know zip about course design, because who has ever heard of any of them?

Yeah your place is ok I suppose.......😂😂😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of fabulous parkland courses around that don't need bells and whistles to make them exciting. In fact, lots of members clubs, not top end by any stretch are good to play. I'll pluck one that some on here have played, Cuddington. Friendly club, good test of golf and looks a picture at this time of year with the leaves changing colour. Equally stunning in full leaf too. I think there can sometimes be an air of disdain towards parkland courses, with everyone waxing lyrical about links or heathland.

D

Deleted member 1147

A bit like my “rubbish “ English parkland course.
Original design by Braid, with additional work by Colt, Morrison, DJ Russell & McKenzie & Ebert.
If only there were some good designers available for English parkland courses.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I recall when fairway were introduced up here 20+ years ago, folk were up in arms about It, that was until the next season and they seen the benefit it had to the courses, also possibly explains why so many YouTube golf vlogs from down south seem to be playing off scabby fairways, who knows.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I recall when fairway were introduced up here 20+ years ago, folk were up in arms about It, that was until the next season and they seen the benefit it had to the courses, also possibly explains why so many YouTube golf vlogs from down south seem to be playing off scabby fairways, who knows.
More rubbish. I think you'll find the summer conditions and the fact that many courses don't have fairway watering will have contributed to that.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
More rubbish. I think you'll find the summer conditions and the fact that many courses don't have fairway watering will have contributed to that.

What part was rubbish ?

That fairway mats in winter have benefited the fairways come the season ?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Fairway mats would have been no protection for the damage caused by the droughts especially in the south

That's not what I said though is it ? I said..

I recall when fairway mats were introduced up here 20+ years ago, folk were up in arms about It, that was until the next season and they seen the benefit it had to the courses, also possibly explains why so many YouTube golf vlogs from down south seem to be playing off scabby fairways, who knows.

I made no reference to the drought in the south, you did (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.