Parkland courses in England

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fairway mats would have been no protection for the damage caused by the droughts especially in the south
Don't think anyone's suggesting using fairway mats in the summer but they are in use at many clubs up north throughout the winter. For the first time in a long while my club has dispensed with them this winter - will be interesting to see what condition the fairways are in come spring (usually near perfect)

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Nobody here complains about the fairway mats now, much like the coring and sanding of greens, once folk realise the benefit it has to the greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't think anyone's suggesting using fairway mats in the summer but they are in use at many clubs up north throughout the winter. For the first tome in a long while my club has dispensed with them this winter - will be interesting to see what condition the fairways are in come spring (usually near perfect)
I understand the use of fairway mats, primarily in the north and in Scotland and get why they are used. My point is a club could have taken all the precaution it liked to try and protect the fairways ready for the new season, but unless it had fairway watering and the money to pay for excessive amounts to be used (and I'd suggest permission as well) then it was at the mercy of the weather and drought conditions and so many will have been patchy.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I understand the use of fairway mats, primarily in the north and in Scotland and get why they are used. My point is a club could have taken all the precaution it liked to try and protect the fairways ready for the new season, but unless it had fairway watering and the money to pay for excessive amounts to be used (and I'd suggest permission as well) then it was at the mercy of the weather and drought conditions and so many will have been patchy.

It's only you that has mentioned drought conditions, yet you stated what I posted was...

More rubbish.

:unsure:

Wolf

Visit site
Plenty of good parkland course in England that aren't goat tracks, just the same up and down type course or inferior to North of the border.

The Op States its a genuine question then doesn't like when people question reasoning..

Simple fact is there are great courses that are parkland, heathland Links etc and then are some of all types that are crap, but as always only the negative really gets the real focus of opinion.. Could easily ask are there boring courses north of the border of course there is but one man's opinion is another man's reason to shout someone down for trolling...

It's winter no course is at its flourishing best

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Plenty of good parkland course in England that aren't goat tracks, just the same up and down type course or inferior to North of the border.

The Op States its a genuine question then doesn't like when people question reasoning..

Simple fact is there are great courses that are parkland, heathland Links etc and then are some of all types that are crap, but as always only the negative really gets the real focus of opinion.. Could easily ask are there boring courses north of the border of course there is but one man's opinion is another man's reason to shout someone down for trolling...

It's winter no course is at its flourishing best

You really need to read all the replies if you think I don't like people question reasoning.

I said are all parkland courses like those that I have seen in yt vids, I named 3 yt courses I'd seen, all up and back, and certainly 2 of the 3 were pretty scabby, I then went on to say, after I posted the clip, I then noticed it was posted in late December, yet read some of the replies and you'd think they were replying to something completely different.

Going on about Old Tom etc :ROFLMAO:

I asked the question based on what I'd seen, some subsequently reply like I'd personally tore their own specific course to shreds :sleep: I get it though, they see the poster than the post, no worries, it's cool but you and others need to stop making things up, look at the perfect example of homer.

Wolf

Visit site
You really need to read all the replies if you think I don't like people question reasoning.

I said are all parkland courses like those that I have seen in yt vids, I named 3 yt courses I'd seen, all up and back, and certainly 2 of the 3 were pretty scabby, I then went on to say, after I posted the clip, I then noticed it was posted in late December, yet read some of the replies and you'd think they were replying to something completely different.

Going on about Old Tom etc :ROFLMAO:

I asked the question based on what I'd seen, some subsequently reply like I'd personally tore their own specific course to shreds :sleep: I get it though, they see the poster than the post, no worries, it's cool but you and others need to stop making things up, look at the perfect example of homer.
I've read them all thanks, doesn't change my opinion on what I've written or am I not allowed to write my opinion as you don't like it. If it's irrelevant to you then so be it but it's still my opinion on what you've posted and how you generally post..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You post mentioning old tom, so I assume you are having a pop at me. Fine. I was the one who brought him up. Not necessarily in defence of my home course, it's just an example of a parkland course, that is not badly designed, boring, built in a swamp golf course.
It was designed by well established course designers, operating within the constraints of budget, machinery available, and land.
Is it RCD? No. It can't be. You pretty much can't get further from the sea than Watford. Is it a well designed test of golf? Yes. For sure. Are there others near by? Yes. Berkhampstead, Sandy Lodge, Moor Park, to name a few.
All of these are solid golf courses. Some even Open qualifiers.
Google open qualifiers, google top parkland courses, open your eyes, see what is about, before jumping in with a sweeping statement that just makes you look a troll.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You post mentioning old tom, so I assume you are having a pop at me. Fine. I was the one who brought him up. Not necessarily in defence of my home course, it's just an example of a parkland course, that is not badly designed, boring, built in a swamp golf course.
It was designed by well established course designers, operating within the constraints of budget, machinery available, and land.
Is it RCD? No. It can't be. You pretty much can't get further from the sea than Watford. Is it a well designed test of golf? Yes. For sure. Are there others near by? Yes. Berkhampstead, Sandy Lodge, Moor Park, to name a few.
All of these are solid golf courses. Some even Open qualifiers.
Google open qualifiers, google top parkland courses, open your eyes, see what is about, before jumping in with a sweeping statement that just makes you look a troll.

Why did you not come away with that in the first place then ?

A sweeping statement you say, I have never played golf in England, I see a few vids on yt that are parkland courses, are up and back design (from what I see on the vids) and they all look pretty heavy going, I then ask the question, based on what I've seen. If it was a sweeping statement I'd have said it as a matter of fact rather than asking the question, no ?

I wasn't having a pop at anyone in particular, I seen the comment, I had no idea who made it when I referenced it, but if you see that as having a pop at you personally, so be it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So you haven't watched the golf on telly recently. Close House, Walton Heath, The Grove, Woburn Marquess, for the British Masters, and Wentworth for the PGA.
None of which fit your description of English golf.
A quick google of the top 100 courses in the UK, wow, shock, some of them are parkland. Next 100, yep, some of them too.
There are a load of average courses out there, for sure, and loads of sub average too (that's maths for you!), but there are in every country. But looking at the geography of the UK, and the size of it, there are going to be massive variations in soil type, elevation, scenery , course type, design, budget (yep, this affects course design and maintenance), and so on.
A general comment of are all English golf courses boring swamps is not going to elicit any other response than an accusation of trolling.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A general comment of are all English golf courses boring swamps is not going to elicit any other response than an accusation of trolling.

So it's now all English golf courses I said now :ROFLMAO: comedy gold the way you lot make things up I've said.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So it's now all English golf courses I said now :ROFLMAO: comedy gold the way you lot make things up I've said.

Most? Or all? Are you going to pick out a couple of ok courses to make a point? There are 1000s of golf courses, and your opening post implies they are all rubbish. I think you are trolling. Big time.

D

Deleted member 1147

You’re the Donald Trump of the forum...talk rubbish and then change/deny what you actually said!

You asked if most English parkland courses were the same!

No, they clearly aren’t, to any one with the ability or inclination to look beyond a couple of useless YouTube videos.

Wolf

Visit site
You’re the Donald Trump of the forum...talk rubbish and then change/deny what you actually said!

No, they clearly aren’t, to any one with the ability or inclination to look beyond a couple of useless YouTube videos.
Donald Trump of the forum😂

He doesn't watch golf on big course as he admitted, just sits there watching crap on YouTube to be able to suit his side of the argument... Or is that just Fake News 😂

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Most? Or all? Are you going to pick out a couple of ok courses to make a point? There are 1000s of golf courses, and your opening post implies they are all rubbish. I think you are trolling. Big time.

I asked about parkland courses, is that all ? or is that most ? or is that actually some ?

So not only are you saying I said something I didn't, you're now suggesting I was implying something I hadn't, a new first, even for this place.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

What have I denied I said ? I certainly didn't say All English courses, and you're saying I'm Donald Trump :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.