Par 71

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's cheating, you added an edit, ha ha. I get your point but as a coach would you not say, even in medals, to break down your round into small chunks or targets? To do that you need something to aim for and that is the par for each hole.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do
But you can change your approach to playing each hole.

If you get a new captain at your club and he changes all the par 5s into par 4s, what difference would it make to the course?

It would make it harder in every golfers head. It would remove more of the fun. No one wants their handicap to go up, it is how we are all measured.

For this to work properly you would need every golfer to be rewired.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In medal play, I am more aware of my score to my handicap than I am against gross par. On my own course, I know what holes I can perhaps press at if I need a par (net birdie) if I'm adrift and which holes are a case of keeping it in play off the tee, take net par and move on. Of course in the real world, the technique doesn't always align to the sensible thinking but that's why I'm off what I am

Is it not possible that the bold bit may actually be why you're off what you are?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You want to be single figures right?

But you think like a 15 h/capper (No offence meant to 15 hcps}

Do you think many sf golfers settle for a net par on the tee?

Fair comment, and I get what you're saying. How would you change the mindset then, bearing in mind as a mid-handicapper, technique may not be as consistent as I'd like. I can see where being more positive can help, but where do you draw a line between that and making poor decisions and pushing too hard that leads to a card wrecking hole?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair comment, and I get what you're saying. How would you change the mindset then, bearing in mind as a mid-handicapper, technique may not be as consistent as I'd like. I can see where being more positive can help, but where do you draw a line between that and making poor decisions and pushing too hard that leads to a card wrecking hole?

Well settling for bogey because it's a shot hole before you've even hit your drive wont help.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the par of the hole has nothing to do with your score
Of course it makes a difference. Someone who is 18 handicap gets a shot every hole, irrespective of stroke index. So if he does the hole in five, the par dictates whether he scores 2 or 3 points doesn't it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course it makes a difference. Someone who is 18 handicap gets a shot every hole, irrespective of stroke index. So if he does the hole in five, the par dictates whether he scores 2 or 3 points doesn't it?

I should have mentioned earlier I was talking about medal play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well settling for bogey because it's a shot hole before you've even hit your drive wont help.
Most people recognise their limitations though. If it's a par 4, 480 yards, stroke index 1, and you know you can't drive more than 240 yards, then you have absolutely zero chance of reaching it in two, and you have no choice but to think in the terms Homer described. Obviously the goal is to get near the green and then up and down to make your par, but you're still going to accept bogey / net par given the distance.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Most people recognise their limitations though. If it's a par 4, 480 yards, stroke index 1, and you know you can't drive more than 240 yards, then you have absolutely zero chance of reaching it in two, and you have no choice but to think in the terms Homer described. Obviously the goal is to get near the green and then up and down to make your par, but you're still going to accept bogey / net par given the distance.

How would you approach the hole if it was a par 5?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How would you approach the hole if it was a par 5?
I think in that situation you feel more comfortable because you can easily reach the green in three. It doesn't feel like a really difficult hole in your mind so the pressure is less. For example, if you still have 90 yards to go with your third shot, and the pin is in a tricky area, if you're playing it as a par 4 you might feel like you have to go for the pin, whereas with a par 5 you'd maybe take the easier shot to the middle of the green as you know you can two putt for par.

Obviously my mindset is not going to be that of a low handicapper since I'm not one. Perhaps you're suggesting that the low handicapper mindset is to pretty much always go for the pins irrespective of par, and I guess I can understand that being the case.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll rephrase the question
If you get 2 shots at the hole, how would you approach it as a par 5
Well it depends on the hole and how it's set out, but I'd happily go with a comfortable mid-iron on my second shot, if I know I can leave a comfortable short iron on the third shot to get to the green.
If it was a par 4, I'd be thinking I need to hit a longer club on my second shot to get as near the green as possible.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well it depends on the hole and how it's set out, but I'd happily go with a comfortable mid-iron on my second shot, if I know I can leave a comfortable short iron on the third shot to get to the green.
If it was a par 4, I'd be thinking I need to hit a longer club on my second shot to get as near the green as possible.

Why would you not hit the longer club for your 2nd shot if the hole was a par 5?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because my long irons are crap!

Ha ha. I have picked up on this mornings back and forth and smiled. I could see where Bob was going and your answers would be similar to mine. This one was the cherry on the cake.

Pushing your long iron / rescue because it is on or beyond your limit is when things collapse. Relax, take 2 x mid iron and the result will be much better. Some times, us high h/c have to just suck it up and take the shots on offer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The point I was trying to get to and to answer the OP is the par of the hole/course has no affect on your medal score whatsoever.

Your handicap is based on the CSS not par and to alter the way you play a hole dependant on what the par is is just daft and limiting your potential score.

Of course there are times when you have to play safe or lay up but that should be determined by the situation not the par of the hole.

If you are off 20 and you shoot 90 and the CSS is 70, you've played to your h/cap irrespective of if the par is 69,70 or 71

Play every shot/hole the best you can no matter what the par is.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You want to be single figures right?

But you think like a 15 h/capper (No offence meant to 15 hcps}

Do you think many sf golfers settle for a net par on the tee?

If I am honest I tend to do so on our very difficult par 4 SI 2 second (and it should be SI 1 but in wrong place on the course). Yes of course I'm always looking to see if I can get a 4 and I know that if all goes well that I can - but as I have too many 7s, 8s and even a 9 I'll take a 5 nett 4 all day long.