Par 71

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Post no.68

That's why I say I like to get within a certain distance before choosing to either go for it or not. again the conditions will help me make the choice of the next shot. If its dry I might be able to get some run up so that opens up the possibly of playing it slightly lower and having it chase. If there is a big wind off the right I may take on the risky approach as the wind will move it away from most of the danger.

It may be a saying settle for a bogie but I don't really do it. I do try to make par by pitching. I know the stats say I have more chance the closer I can get so I would very rarely lay back over 100 yards unless I was hitting out from behind a tree.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob - it wouldn’t be a harden fast rule - I would judge it on the day in all honesty - I can say one thing now and do something different but the overriding thought would be a net par ( 2 points ) I would be happy walking off with
I think that's exactly what he's saying is wrong. Whether it's a par 3 or par 4, if you can make a 3 on it then you should do that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob - it wouldn’t be a harden fast rule - I would judge it on the day in all honesty - I can say one thing now and do something different but the overriding thought would be a net par ( 2 points ) I would be happy walking off with

Interesting.
The par or SI would not interest me in the slightest. I would hit driver every single time.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that's exactly what he's saying is wrong. Whether it's a par 3 or par 4, if you can make a 3 on it then you should do that.

But it’s not “wrong” - there is no right or wrong people will just have different ways of doing it

And the game isn’t as easy as “if you can make 3 then do that” - and I reckon I would make three more times hitting to a wedge distance and then single putting than I would going for the green with a driver.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But it’s not “wrong” - there is no right or wrong people will just have different ways of doing it

And the game isn’t as easy as “if you can make 3 then do that” - and I reckon I would make three more times hitting to a wedge distance and then single putting than I would going for the green with a driver.
In that case, that's what you should do every time then.

(That's not me telling you what to do, I'm just approximating Bob's thinking which I've found interesting in this topic.)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with Phil, there is no right or wrong way.
It depends on your skill with a driver, if you're any good out of bunkers, what your distance control is like, what stage of the round you're at, stroke/match play etc etc.

The reason I'd hit driver all the time is that my short game isn't too bad so I'd feel confident getting up and down from around the green but more importantly if I do hit the green I'm putting for a 2. I'm not going to make many 2s by laying up.

Edit
I may not go for the green if the flag is at the back of the green, I'm not brilliant at the 40yd bunker shot.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting.
The par or SI would not interest me in the slightest. I would hit driver every single time.

Don't know if you've played the Kernow course at St Mellion but the 10th is like that, it's a 220 yard par 4 down hill, but with a lake in front of the green, you can lay up or obviously go for it.

Like you say I didn't care that it was a par 4, I knew I could hit the green so went for it. Stuck it within 6 feet and walked off with an eagle.

Each to their own I guess but I don't understand why anyone would lay up just because it was a par 4. Just do whatever you need to do to get the lowest score should be the obvious answer.

If that's coming out sideways from a bunker or going for the pin, going for a par 5 in 2 or laying up it doesn't matter. You have to decide at the time what shot will give you the best chance of coming away with the lowest score.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Either because I know for a fact that in the course conditions I face at that moment it's not within my capability to do so, or because there are significantly more downsides to failure than upsides associated with success.

Never because I get a stroke at the hole!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This does seem a little in conflict with the Nick Faldo, course management way of playing or am I understanding it incorrectly? (not any one post, the method being suggested by Bob)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This does seem a little in conflict with the Nick Faldo, course management way of playing or am I understanding it incorrectly? (not any one post, the method being suggested by Bob)

I haven't seen what Faldo says but I would say bad course management is trying to hit a shot you may not be capable of hitting.
eg 3 wood out of thick rough, a long shot over water, trying to hit a draw when your natural shot may be a slice etc.

What I'm talking about is not even trying a shot that is reasonable because you've got a shot on the hole, eg hitting three 7 irons at a long par 4 trying to make bogey because you have a shot or playing a hole differently because of it's par eg laying up at a short par 4 instead of trying to make 3 with a reasonable tee shot, or trying to protect a good score on the last few holes by playing safe and making a mess of it.

Golf should still be fun, a challenge to improve your game, but by settling for net pars based on your handicap, you'll never get better.