Panic buying fuel

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forget about waiting for drivers from the EU to arrive, get the army and RAF drivers in TODAY so that the message is that there are now sufficient drivers…so public can be reassured there is no need to top up and so can stop this panicking immediately. But actions not just words TODAY.

What a predictable solution (not from you personally) .. How many drivers does the forces have? They seem to be doing ambulance duty, running the bins round, Covid testing and now petrol tankers.. what’s next for them?

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the bright side.. Son had to be dropped off for sports this AM, Mrs has to go to work. Usually I would do the sports round. Low fuel means, she got up early, dropped him off and then went to work. Drove past vehicles queuing outside petrol stations at 7am.

On the plus side.. One less car on the road, I get a lie in, better for the environment etc etc.. where is the Brit grit..

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a predictable solution (not from you personally) .. How many drivers does the forces have? They seem to be doing ambulance duty, running the bins round, Covid testing and now petrol tankers.. what’s next for them?

Whatever is needed, one of the key purposes of the armed forces has been to support the country in whatever it needs at that moment

Unfortunately because of some idiots in charge we need support in more sectors

Thank goodness we didnt cut their numbers aswell

Oh wait

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few deliveries late, so the usual parts of the media whip it up into a crisis and the "hard of thinking " react.

In cupboards in certain parts of the country there must be tons of unused pasta, panic bought before first lockdown.

Probably the same folk.

Can we just ban tabloids? Surely this would solve 90% of issues

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At our local Tesco the queue for petrol is all the way back to the main road but they have to cross the lane of traffic exiting the main carpark. I went and got some shopping and then on the way out simply drove into the petrol station missing out all of the queue.

Bassfisher

Visit site
I’m a commercial fisherman, I buy 80L diesel from Sainsbury’s before each trip o run my boat, not this weekend , ridiculous queues everywhere, I’ll have the weekend off and watch the Ryder cup! ( if I can tolerate those shouting, booing morons)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m a commercial fisherman, I buy 80L diesel from Sainsbury’s before each trip o run my boat, not this weekend , ridiculous queues everywhere, I’ll have the weekend off and watch the Ryder cup! ( if I can tolerate those shouting, booing morons)

Why would the house of commons be at the ryder cup?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Whenever the media reports on some possible minor glitch in the supply of anything (pasta, toilet rolls, fuel, etc), there's a whole legion of intellectually challenged members of the public who will turn it into a genuine shortage.

The media needs to agree to bury this type of news to protect us all from the irrational reaction of these numpties. A kind of self-imposed D-notice for the good of the nation.

Exactly this. It may be argued that this situation could come under" National security" in it broadest terms. Thus qualifying for a D notice?
It sickened me to see the media jumping on this looming situation almost with glee. Where is their sense of responsibility-( to the nation, that is, not to themselves).?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it will be short lived? People aren’t doing extra driving (except for going out to find fuel!) there’s no long-term change in demand, just a temporary shift in buying patterns

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it will be short lived? People aren’t doing extra driving (except for going out to find fuel!) there’s no long-term change in demand, just a temporary shift in buying patterns

Well except those who left home to get fuel and then got stuck in a queue leaving their engine running

We passed 5 stations on way to wifes grandads today .. all out of fuel with queues outside

What didn't surprise me was how little people will drop their speed to use less fuel .. continue to bomb past (over the limit) then moan when they run out

Mrs said to me "I think I will have to take her swimming in this car tomorrow " (the big one) even tho it's harder for her to park I can drive the 50 mile to work on the electric and not run the big car down as we bearly use it so providing it's just our weekend usage and no work it lasts about 2-3 months on a tank (filled up last Sunday)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Exactly this. It may be argued that this situation could come under" National security" in it broadest terms. Thus qualifying for a D notice?
It sickened me to see the media jumping on this looming situation almost with glee. Where is their sense of responsibility-( to the nation, that is, not to themselves).?

The Alarmist media need reigning in. They’ve had a good run over the past few months, battering us relentlessly around the head with relentless doom and gloom about Covid. Still it goes on. ‘Plan for the worst’, wails The Mirror. ‘It’s back to panic stations!’ screeches The Mail.

They’ve positively relished it, but Covid’s become a bit of a broken record now as far as working up a sense of alarm is concerned. Our senses have become dulled, so now they’ve got to find other things in their attempts to scare us.
Various headlines I’ve seen include….

-‘Prepare for winter of discontent’; The Guardian

-‘UK energy crisis to drive up cost of living’; The i

-‘We’ll meat again: we’re set to run out of pork, lamb, chicken and turkey in just
days’; The Daily Star

-‘Energy firms will be left to collapse’; The Times

- ‘Asteroid extinction event next month: Adonis blames Brexit’; The Daily Yell (I made that one up?)

It’s eco-crisis, it’s housing crisis, it’s transport crisis, it’s NHS crisis. It CO2 crisis! No wonder so many people have mental health issues, (which itself is a crisis because of crisis of the NHS backlog caused by Covid crisis)

It’s all so exhausting I think I should go back to bed ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am very interested to see if next week we have an even bigger upturn of ridership on the tube and buses as people try to limit their use of cars..

Wouldn't surprise me.. people feel unsafe to use the network until it costs them more to use the car again

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Alarmist media need reigning in. They’ve had a good run over the past few months, battering us relentlessly around the head with relentless doom and gloom about Covid. Still it goes on. ‘Plan for the worst’, wails The Mirror. ‘It’s back to panic stations!’ screeches The Mail.

They’ve positively relished it, but Covid’s become a bit of a broken record now as far as working up a sense of alarm is concerned. Our senses have become dulled, so now they’ve got to find other things in their attempts to scare us.
Various headlines I’ve seen include….

-‘Prepare for winter of discontent’; The Guardian

-‘UK energy crisis to drive up cost of living’; The i

-‘We’ll meat again: we’re set to run out of pork, lamb, chicken and turkey in just
days’; The Daily Star

-‘Energy firms will be left to collapse’; The Times

- ‘Asteroid extinction event next month: Adonis blames Brexit’; The Daily Yell (I made that one up?)

It’s eco-crisis, it’s housing crisis, it’s transport crisis, it’s NHS crisis. It CO2 crisis! No wonder so many people have mental health issues, (which itself is a crisis because of crisis of the NHS backlog caused by Covid crisis)

It’s all so exhausting I think I should go back to bed ?
Almost makes you wonder why millions of people still buy the printed media eh?

Once again, The Media only serves up what the majority want to read/hear. They’d go out of business otherwise (except the BBC obviously). Once people stop relishing sensationalist headlines then we’ll get the Media that so many in here seem to want.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Almost makes you wonder why millions of people still buy the printed media eh?

Once again, The Media only serves up what the majority want to read/hear. They’d go out of business otherwise (except the BBC obviously). Once people stop relishing sensationalist headlines then we’ll get the Media that so many in here seem to want.
I don't think it's just the printed media, Joe Publics desire to be the first to post anything on social media is also driving it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I did get some last evening. But it wasn’t panic buying, as I actually needed some, being as I was down to 20 miles remaining & my journey today is 25 miles each way.