Our hardest hole..

Mandofred

Visit site
12th, Par 4, 446 yards, mostly uphill. Hawthorn hedge runs all the way down the right side with a gap in the middle of "just" trees that separate you from the 13th. Big nasty tree about 150 yards out and about 40 feet high. If I'm within 15-20 yards of that direction post I'm happy. Only been on the green or pin high a few times. Large breaks on the green, don't be above the hole. Just too old and wimpy (63 in a couple weeks) to hit it far enough.
12th tee.jpg
12th 2nd shot.jpg
12th green.jpg

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm really not sure which is the hardest hole at my place, I think it really depends on the pin locations. The par 3 11th is simple on a calm day to a front flag but a brute into the wind to a back right flag. Likewise, the par 4 13th is tricky to a front flag but easy to a back flag as the hole plays downwind, there is only a tiny area to land it short of the green so you really have to carry it all the way. The green runs towards the back so you can land it on the green and let it run out when the flag is middle or back. It's also 440yards so most people are going in with a long club.

https://www.broadstonegolfclub.com/hole_11

https://www.broadstonegolfclub.com/hole_13

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 23344

The one that I find hardest at my course is the par 4 third hole. It is stroke index 6 and 344 yards off the yellows. It has a 90 degree dogleg left, followed by a shot through a gap in the trees over a lake. If your drive is too long, you go into the rough past the dogleg and/or reduce the gap through which to place the second shot. Added to this, the green slopes significantly back to front and side to side. If I make a 6 for 2 points I am well pleased.

Flyover here: https://www.slinfoldclub.co.uk/hole3 This flyover is inaccurate in that the little lake to the left at the dogleg left turn is actually surrounded by trees, which makes cutting off the corner with your drive a bit risky.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the second is probably the hardest at ours. It's usually around 470 yards off the white and still a par 4, which I think is a bit ridiculous but it is what it is. Here's a picture of the tee shot:

hole2.jpg

That looks to have been taken from the yellow tee position though, the whites would be 15-20 yards back from there. The tee faces forward so that ditch running up the right is directly in front of you. The fairway seems a long way away, particularly in winter - and if like me you hit a fade you need to aim quite a way left to stop it cutting and rolling into that aforementioned ditch. Not too far left though or you clip that tree on the left side and kill it stone dead. Obviously that fairway is slightly uphill as well so you don't get much roll even if you hit it.

Second shot the green is unreachable for me and anyone who isn't a very long hitter, so you're hitting fairway wood or a hybrid typically, and about 40 yards short of the green there's a horizontal run of trees on the right rough, so if you slice that second shot you're totally screwed.

Here's an overview taken from Google Maps:

2ndholeoverview.png

The white tee being right at the bottom edge there between the two lines of trees.

D

Deleted member 21258

hole5-map.png

9_21.jpg

9_22.jpg

Hole 5 just over 400 yards at Beau. Stroke index one, not the hole I score worst on.

Narrow green and has 3 distinct tiers, big drop off green bunker out the back, to help finish the hole off.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I'm really not sure which is the hardest hole at my place, I think it really depends on the pin locations. The par 3 11th is simple on a calm day to a front flag but a brute into the wind to a back right flag. Likewise, the par 4 13th is tricky to a front flag but easy to a back flag as the hole plays downwind, there is only a tiny area to land it short of the green so you really have to carry it all the way. The green runs towards the back so you can land it on the green and let it run out when the flag is middle or back. It's also 440yards so most people are going in with a long club.

https://www.broadstonegolfclub.com/hole_11

https://www.broadstonegolfclub.com/hole_13

12th Is a difficult drive now with the rework done last time I was there!

D

Deleted Member 1156

12th Is a difficult drive now with the rework done last time I was there!
Are you getting holes confused? The 12th is the short uphill par 4 where everything funnels back into the fairway. The only change is the greenside bunker.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Without a doubt our hardest hole is the 17th.
437/422 of the Whites/Yellows and the fairway slopes a good 20° right to left as well as being downhill then uphill and then downhill again.
I can make the distance to the roll over the Crest but the ball always runs left towards trees.
Shorter than that and you've no way to reach the green in 2 as it goes uphill again to the green.
Get the drive right and it leaves me a 7 or 8 iron into a green that slopes away from you..bunkers short right and green side left
Subtle green - one of those that Peter Alliss would say can make good players look pretty silly..
Plays 1.44 over par on average...from the whites and the yellows
It was the last hole on the course that I managed to par and have since birdied...
But it's a tricky hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Par 4 2nd.

474yds off back tees into a rising fairway; 20deg dog-leg right at the top of rise (325yds from tee) then gentle fall to the green with OoB on LHS and close behind green - also green bunkered front left and right. Good tee shot for most is ~220-230yds. 2nd shot is then ~245-255yds blind and across the dog-leg (but don't be too tight/greedy as mature trees down RHS past the dog-leg).

And against prevailing wind.

But you will always have a level stance :)

It's SI 2...

A par is a thing to be treasured.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think Newport's 11th (SI 5) is the hardest as there's a tight tree lined drive, a pond, more trees, OB and a crocodile pit! It doesn't look that scary on the pictures either and is only 375 yards long too.

The SI 1,2 and 3 are all easy par 5's if you view it like that, but one bad shot on the 11th and you are looking at double or worse. :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
View attachment 31265

View attachment 31266

View attachment 31267

Hole 5 just over 400 yards at Beau. Stroke index one, not the hole I score worst on.

Narrow green and has 3 distinct tiers, big drop off green bunker out the back, to help finish the hole off.

Love that hole, a real risk reward hole.

If you bottle out and dont try and cut any corner off and fade it, I've gone in with a wood. I once somehow hit a high draw and only went in with an 8 iron. When the pin is at the back on its small little tier, its a great hole to par.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Without a doubt our hardest hole is the 17th.
437/422 of the Whites/Yellows and the fairway slopes a good 20° right to left as well as being downhill then uphill and then downhill again.
I can make the distance to the roll over the Crest but the ball always runs left towards trees.
Shorter than that and you've no way to reach the green in 2 as it goes uphill again to the green.
Get the drive right and it leaves me a 7 or 8 iron into a green that slopes away from you..bunkers short right and green side left
Subtle green - one of those that Peter Alliss would say can make good players look pretty silly..
Plays 1.44 over par on average...from the whites and the yellows
It was the last hole on the course that I managed to par and have since birdied...
But it's a tricky hole.

This one- although this view is from the Red Tees and you don't get the full view
17th.jpg

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The holes I struggle on are those short holes which my usual 4 iron off the tee doesn’t open up the green. Those who can get past the corner find these holes easy. It’s even worse when these are early in the round as reaching for the 3 wood isn’t a good shout!

I usually don’t mind long par 4s as the trouble isn’t usually around my landing zone as they are often geared to puns in the driver/long approach.