Almost a catastrophic mistake!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Played in one of our last honour board competitions on Saturday, foursomes, myself (off 9) and a friend off 22, combined handicap was 16.

We start net birdie then par for 5 points after two holes.

Third is a par 3, 125 yards, narrow green but long left to right, me to tee off.

I go long and right, not the place to put a 22 handicapper but he finds the putting surface, leaves me a 30 footer straight down hill that just shaves the edge of the cup but rolls a good 6 feet past (arrgggghhhhh)

SI of the third hole is 16!

He now has a putt for 4.

He rolls it just passed the hole and in my disappointment at my bad tee shot and over ambitious putt and the fact that I never get a shot on this hole on my own, I quickly calculate a 5 is no good and say to him "pick it up".....(arrggghhhhh)

He does, to which our playing partners then reply, "That was a shot hole for you guys, a 5 would have still got you a point" (arrggghhhhhhhhhhhh)

The walk to the 4th tee was a blur, what a pair of Muppets, could that be the point that costs us our first honour board competition!

We steady the ship and come the 17th tee we're on 31 pts, a quick check of the Live Scoring on HowDidIdo and there are only two scores to come in, ours and our playing partners, who are not in the running, top score currently is 35 pts.

We need two pars to finish, 3 on the 17th (no shot) and a 4 on the last with a shot. My turn to tee off on the 17th and I put us on the green with a steady 7 iron over the water, 20 feet from the hole, my partner lags the putt, short, no chance to drop and a knee knocker left which I stroke in.

So to the 18th, knowing we need a par to win, my partner who had massively sliced his last drive on 16 stands up to play his shot, will he cope with the nerves.

He does "fade" it, but not too bad, misses the fairway right, but it's pick and place everywhere so I know I'll get a decent lie with no mud-ball.

133 yards to go, slightly uphill, can't quite see the bottom of the flag but it's right side of the green. 8 iron I think and a smooth one, ball is not travelling, spots of rain still in the air, getting quite cold now as it's almost dark.

I aim at the flag knowing my normal shape is a little draw, but the ball holds up against a little breeze and continues on it's straight path, pitches just off the green but finishes on the green exactly pin high and just 9 feet away.

I'm hoping my partner holes it, but he runs it to the side of the hole, a 6 inch tap in for the win and the calamity on the 3rd hole a distant memory as we walk off the 18th with our first honour board competition in the bag.

What a relief!!!!

What have I learned, just finish the hole and work out the stableford points later!

Competition was also the qualifier for a Daily Mail Foursomes, so we're in the draw come February.

What a weekend as my two football teams also win, Forest Green Rovers and Liverpool.

D

Deleted member 3432

Why on earth would you check live scoring?

Talk about putting yourself under pressure.

Anyway, well done on the win.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Why on earth would you check live scoring?

Talk about putting yourself under pressure.

Anyway, well done on the win.

Why on earth would you not :)

Knowing we needed a par to win gave us a big advantage, imagine being 8 feet away knowing you have to hole the putt to win or if you can two putt - you'd approach the putt differently, no?

Anyway, that's a whole other debate, an interesting one though.

Gave us a big advantage to be drawn in the last group I think.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played in one of our last honour board competitions on Saturday, foursomes, myself (off 9) and a friend off 22, combined handicap was 16.

We start net birdie then par for 5 points after two holes.

Third is a par 3, 125 yards, narrow green but long left to right, me to tee off.

I go long and right, not the place to put a 22 handicapper but he finds the putting surface, leaves me a 30 footer straight down hill that just shaves the edge of the cup but rolls a good 6 feet past (arrgggghhhhh)

SI of the third hole is 16!

He now has a putt for 4.

He rolls it just passed the hole and in my disappointment at my bad tee shot and over ambitious putt and the fact that I never get a shot on this hole on my own, I quickly calculate a 5 is no good and say to him "pick it up".....(arrggghhhhh)

He does, to which our playing partners then reply, "That was a shot hole for you guys, a 5 would have still got you a point" (arrggghhhhhhhhhhhh)

The walk to the 4th tee was a blur, what a pair of Muppets, could that be the point that costs us our first honour board competition!

We steady the ship and come the 17th tee we're on 31 pts, a quick check of the Live Scoring on HowDidIdo and there are only two scores to come in, ours and our playing partners, who are not in the running, top score currently is 35 pts.

We need two pars to finish, 3 on the 17th (no shot) and a 4 on the last with a shot. My turn to tee off on the 17th and I put us on the green with a steady 7 iron over the water, 20 feet from the hole, my partner lags the putt, short, no chance to drop and a knee knocker left which I stroke in.

So to the 18th, knowing we need a par to win, my partner who had massively sliced his last drive on 16 stands up to play his shot, will he cope with the nerves.

He does "fade" it, but not too bad, misses the fairway right, but it's pick and place everywhere so I know I'll get a decent lie with no mud-ball.

133 yards to go, slightly uphill, can't quite see the bottom of the flag but it's right side of the green. 8 iron I think and a smooth one, ball is not travelling, spots of rain still in the air, getting quite cold now as it's almost dark.

I aim at the flag knowing my normal shape is a little draw, but the ball holds up against a little breeze and continues on it's straight path, pitches just off the green but finishes on the green exactly pin high and just 9 feet away.

I'm hoping my partner holes it, but he runs it to the side of the hole, a 6 inch tap in for the win and the calamity on the 3rd hole a distant memory as we walk off the 18th with our first honour board competition in the bag.

What a relief!!!!

What have I learned, just finish the hole and work out the stableford points later!

Competition was also the qualifier for a Daily Mail Foursomes, so we're in the draw come February.

What a weekend as my two football teams also win, Forest Green Rovers and Liverpool.

What I've learned is to know your stroke holes and pick up if your not in the hole. Quicker for the whole field!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll never understand why anybody wouldn't just tap the ball in the hole and ask questions later. What have you lost if you do? A valuable 4 seconds?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well played and congrats on win ..

Just curious Is it fair to have live scoring ?ive never played in comp that did it .. maybe ye guys are more honest than some of the people round here ha

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Just curious Is it fair to have live scoring ?ive never played in comp that did it .. maybe ye guys are more honest than some of the people round here ha

I'd say it's grossly unfair.

Why our club has decided to run competitions giving later tee time players this advantage I don't know.

When I'm not playing in the competition, but have mates who are I do enjoy seeing their scores come in.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are having a similar debate at our club over live scoring

On one side being able to see the scores gives you an advantage of knowing what you need to do, on the other side of the coin it can put extra pressure on you

Personally I'm in favour of it, on our course the walk from our 15th green to 16th tee takes you past the clubhouse and practice putting area. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been told "oh there's 44 points in" or something similar.

Whatever happens, you still have to play the shots

YandaB

Visit site
It does seem to be how the professionals do it, I think that we should aspire to play like them.

YandaB

Visit site
90% of numpties that play club level golf play as slow as them! Why not slow it down even further by all checking our phones after going 6 ,5, 9, 4 just in case!!!!
Mmm, fair point, that could well be a massively bad unintended consequense! It obviously could be done with no impact at all to speed by those that are applying common sense but we know how rare that can be.

Swango1980

Visit site

I certainly don't see it as unfair, I mean the professionals are able to know the scores of people around them. In fact, in pretty much all sports you know the score of your opponent(s). I do agree with Jacko though, it wouldn't be great if it took ages to access the score on the app, and you basically had players on every tee (or even before every shot) constantly checking their phone to see what the situation is. So, although not unfair, definitely not an assistance in speeding the game up.

Personally, I wouldn't want to know the other scores. I don't need anything to add to the nerves if I'm on a good score. Besides, my main goal it really to shoot as well as I can against my handicap, if I end up winning that is just a nice bonus (especially as I've won absolutely nothing this year)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies to my post . One of my gripes is the guy who going ok looks at scores reckons he cant win so pulls up because he wont take cut unless he wins .. unfortunately . I know a good few who would do it . Got reported to a committee member (unofficaly) a few yr back for refusing to sign a card ..
Personally i play to get cut so id never bother checking it anyhow . ..

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice win, well played. The fact you knew what you had to do made it more exciting too. As for those who say "everyone checking their phones on every tee..." etc, its not going to happen guys, stop being doom and gloom merchants. Sure, people will check their phones, but nowhere near everyone and likely people do anyway as they are playing, to check latest sports scores etc, messages, fantasy football score... I've never seen anyone hold up play, it's usually while walking to the green or their next shot, or after they've played and waiting for others to play.

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

Swango1980

Visit site
Nice win, well played. The fact you knew what you had to do made it more exciting too. As for those who say "everyone checking their phones on every tee..." etc, its not going to happen guys, stop being doom and gloom merchants. Sure, people will check their phones, but nowhere near everyone and likely people do anyway as they are playing, to check latest sports scores etc, messages, fantasy football score... I've never seen anyone hold up play, it's usually while walking to the green or their next shot, or after they've played and waiting for others to play.

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

Golfers are looking up sports scores, text messages and even their fantasy football scores? No wonder there are concerns about slow play, when do they have time to play a golf shot?

We definitely don't need to be getting them to check the live leaderboard itf that is the case, just another delay in the long list of other mobile phone related distractions. Maybe we need to ban phones altogether, unless we need an ambulance. They do that in our county golf league, no mobile phones allowed otherwise DQ. Although, that was mainly brought in because apparently in the past, early groups used to text their mates behind them to tell them what club to hit.