Online dating, anyone done it.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I met my wife on a dating app when she 'supposedly' only joined because she was goaded into it by a mate. And she was lucky to meet me!! We have been together 6 years (2 years married) with a wee gem of a 1 yr old boy.

Before I met my wife, I have always had great experiences with dating websites/apps. I always talked and swapped pictures for a long time before meeting up - always been a good laugh. Had one weirdo who sent me pics of another woman but I figured that out quite quickly!!

If you are vigilant and have patience getting to know someone by talking to them over the phone for a while you could always know if they were right for you or not.

PS: If only I had know of golf dating sites as someone has brought up previously lol Mrs hates golf and with a lil nipper in tow I may have to shelve it for a bit when I have to ferry him around the place so he can follow his hobbies.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the days of going into town on the pull aren't what they used to be. Getting dressed-up and trying to find the club with the most women. Building-up the courage to try a dodgy pick-up line, or trying to work-out whether a bird was single or not. I was never stupid enough to buy people drinks, but I saw many a mate spend a fortune on a bird's drinks, only for her to jump in a taxi and bail, without not even as much as giving a number.

On dating websites you can find someone with the same intentions as you, and the same interests quite quickly. You kind of know where you stand. Yes, there are the few weirdos, but the large majority are there just to meet people with the same intentions. I know it takes away the thrill of the chase, but you can quite literally meet your partner from the sofa. It is very convenient. You could say an efficient way to meet a partner. Cheaper than going out, less time-consuming, and your instantly matched-up with someone who has something in common with you.

I read an article about the theory behind the big dating apps. One theory was that the sites put the most swiped-right people at the top of the pile for a new member. That way the new member sees the most attractive people first, which gets them hooked and wanting more.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I read an article about the theory behind the big dating apps. One theory was that the sites put the most swiped-right people at the top of the pile for a new member. That way the new member sees the most attractive people first, which gets them hooked and wanting more.

That isn't a theory, in Tinder it's absolutely true. New members and paid members also get bumped nearer the front of the queue.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, been doing it for 6-7 years now.

Been with people from all over the UK, men and women, some old and some barely legal. Also had the pleasure of doing it in groups, which can be fun. I've tried to talk the missus into it, but she doesnt fancy it just yet. Met some who are very straight-laced and some who are downright wierdoes, but life is a Minestrone........
We are taking about GM forum arent we - internet dating for golfers, as Junior's missus calls it.

You caught me out there !!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My 24yo son is a big user of Tinder, last weekend he was out 3 nights running with 3 different girls. He has absolutely no interest in a long term relationship, he only wants a bit of "action" and seems to be getting plenty.

He was telling me about a new app which is like Tinder, but with this one, the girl makes the initial contact. He loves that, because he knows they are interested from the get-go.

All a bit sordid I suppose, but if I was young, free and single, I'd be out there filling my boots!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Met my missus ages ago in a "chat room" when they were all the rage. We "chatted" for a couple of months I guess before swapping phone numbers, arrange to meet and the rest, as they say, is history.
Been together now for 17 years, married for 10. Couldn't be happier.

StuartV

Visit site
I have a short story how I met my wife. It was 12 years ago, I searched dating apps and sites, find some good ones but it was not what I was expecting of them. I practiced a lot in dating, so I know that some apps don't work how they should and the same thing is with sites. To have some guaranty you need to buy premium or other things, and if you're using a free app or simple account you miss a lot. But one of my friends showed me some great site which is free and simple. I used to go to hookup dating and met there my wife, but now I recommend it to you because maybe you will meet someone in which you'll fall in love.

Last edited:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Met my wife on one 18 years ago so I consider myself a trailblazer.

Still together. Not a bad for a £5 investment and all done on a dial up modem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Met my missus 11 years ago the old-fashioned way - via a friend of a friend in a dive boozer. Since I was only 23 at the time I hadn't ever resorted to internet dating. And that was before Tinder etc came about, was only website ones back then. I'm not sure it would be for me anyway - feels like too much pressure to make a good first impression. I'm more of a slow-burner I think. :LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ah the good ole days, love at first sight in a pub over a shared scampi and chips basket meal With a sachet of Tartae sauce.

i've offered to buy a few womens a drink , but never used the line fancy and scampi and chips, drizzeled in a white tangy sauce, i supect that wouldn't have worked:ROFLMAO:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
i've offered to buy a few womens a drink , but never used the line fancy and scampi and chips, drizzeled in a white tangy sauce, i supect that wouldn't have worked:ROFLMAO:

Might be cheaper if it don’t work, cost me 40 yrs hard labour, and 35 yrs marriage. Gotta be the most expensive scampi and chips ever.???