Why O' Why..... Rant Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why cant some people not use the bit of grey matter between their ears.....
Im on hols this week and with the recession and all the shillings are a little scarce....So going foreign country bound was out....
Anyway ive played a bit of golf over the past few days..... Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and also i played an open singles comp at our own course today.....
With the little patch of grass that currently resides on my head it took what patience i had not to tear it out....

For 9 full holes my dad and myself were caught behind 3 of the slowest golfers iv ever had the displeasure of meeting on a golf course.....
Now i have no issues normally with slow play as long as the slow ones let you through.... I mean everybody has to learn the game at their own pace....

I wasnt playing very well....I was more concerned about getting a buffer finish as any chance of getting a place was well gone after messing a few holes on the back 9 from poor course management....My Dad on the other hand was after turning with 20 points off a handicap of 16 and playing nicely until we got held up.....

Now why is it that some people just cant use their brain and are just down right ignorant to everybody else.....
These were senior golfers and are members of our place a long time.....
It got to the point where a 2 ball that called us through on the 4th hole and who we had gained nearly 2 full holes on had caught us again by the 13th and 2 groups had caught up with them also...

Now the ironic thing here is that i had my 5 yr old son with me as i had promised to take him and as the course is usually quite i was letting him knock some balls in from 100 mtrs..... Even with him in tow we still maintained good time....

One of the group in front had put a tee shot into a bunker on our 13th par 3 and on his 3rd try out of it put it into another bunker at the far side of the green....It took 2 to get onto the green also from that which he is now playing his 7th shot from 20ft the far side of the flag....At index 2 its still not near the hole with his 7th shot......
No chance of a point even with a shot but still ambles around like he's just out for a morning stroll.....

Anyway 14 through 18 this continues for their a 1/3 the way up a fairway and we are waiting on the tee box....We are just after finishing the hole and they are still teeing off on the next....Im making eye contact but there is still no sign of a reaction..... My dad who up to 14 was flying it has now scratched 14 over them...Im trying to keep him focused as i know he has a good score going.......The even lost one of their trio on the 14th and still held us up...

I came away with 32 points....My Dad with 36 which could have been the far side of 40 if he wasnt getting so wound....
I know how worked up he gets so i said id have a quite word with them when i got to the club house....
I was fairly calm at this stage and just asked them why wouldnt they call us through.....

The reply i got was "Why should we call ye through" :angry::angry::angry:
I proceeded to tell them that Etiquette was there for a reason and that if they were not so Ignorant they'd no how to use it...... There were a few choice words thrown around also and i had promised myself not to get wound up but i just couldnt help it.....

As the argument was transpiring he just got up and walked away.....In fairness they knew they were wrong but seemed to just saunter and stroll around liked they owned the course...... It took nearly 2hrs 50 mins to play 9 holes because of them.....

I said iv met some slow people in my time but ye have brought it to a whole new level.... He was still firing obscenities at me to which i replied.... Well if i ever get to the point in my golfing career where i get to the standard of play that ye are at i will take up Knitting.......And left it at that.:sbox:

Sorry but i need to blow off a little steam to someone.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
that's what committee's are for - put it in writing and ask the committee the inocent question 'is this behaviour acceptable at their club?'

Duncan....
There are so many situations at our track with slow play everything falls on deaf ears.... We have the most laid back club i think in the country......
Its a complete waste of time and effort.....
I dont think that there is a single weekend that goes by where someone kicks up about it...... It seems like its a huge issue but nobodies doing anything about it....I think they have the attitude whereby it'll blow itself over through time......

Why is it always left to the group behind to have to ask to play through..... Its not rocket science.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
that's what committee's are for - put it in writing and ask the committee the inocent question 'is this behaviour acceptable at their club?'

Sorry, but I don't agree.
I'd write a letter, ask for an appointment with the captain/president/whoever and take the letter to him/her and explain what was in it and why it was written giving names, dates and times.
This is totally unacceptable behavior and doesnt matter a jot how old the guilty parties are or how long they have been members.
2 hours 50 for 9 holes is just unacceptable :angry:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done for handling it well on the course! Seems like you need to build a sub committee with a voice, if enough people join in and voice their opinions the club can't ignore you all!!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd write a letter, ask for an appointment with the captain/president/whoever and take the letter to him/her and explain what was in it and why it was written giving names, dates and times.
This is totally unacceptable behavior and doesnt matter a jot how old the guilty parties are or how long they have been members.

This is where im slightly backed into a corner Bob..... Their names were not on the time sheet.... And our usual man thats in the club shop is off for the week and one of the younger lads were looking after it.... I got a name but he wasnt 100% sure...... Kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A regular topic, so what part of the situation is to blame for your Dad (and countless others inc me) flunking the score & going off on one?

The added physical time?
The poor etiquette of not being called through?
Admitting to ourselves that our ability to manage our own game is mince?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A regular topic, so what part of the situation is to blame for your Dad (and countless others inc me) flunking the score & going off on one?

The added physical time?
The poor etiquette of not being called through?
Admitting to ourselves that our ability to manage our own game is mince?

Yes to no.1
Yes to no.2
And for no.3 i would think that i was managing my own game pretty well.....Its others that need to start managing Their Game...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Notwithstanding the fact that they should have let you through - as you were quicker. letting their slow play get to you was your problem.

Holding up quicker player is pretty much inexcusable, but it's not something to attempt to solve, yourself, out on the course! Phoning in and requesting a Marshal to sort it out is one way to relieve an 'acute' instance. Chronic slow play can only be resolved by management devoting some resources to it - or applying some sanctions.

Stableford comps should point out the benefits of picking up!

i would think that i was managing my own game pretty well.....Its others that need to start managing Their Game...

I'd respectfully suggest there's an area of your game (handling the slow play of others) that needs attention

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not inviting groups through is what's unacceptable.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Notwithstanding the fact that they should have let you through - as you were quicker. letting their slow play get to you was your problem.

Holding up quicker player is pretty much inexcusable, but it's not something to attempt to solve, yourself, out on the course! Phoning in and requesting a Marshal to sort it out is one way to relieve an 'acute' instance. Chronic slow play can only be resolved by management devoting some resources to it - or applying some sanctions.

Stableford comps should point out the benefits of picking up!

I'd respectfully suggest there's an area of your game (handling the slow play of others) that needs attention

Foxholer.....If you read my post fully you would see that i held my patience until the clubhouse..... I was trying to get back in the buffer on the course and all i needed was a par on 18.....I pushed my drive OOB so that nobbled me......

And i dont care how much patience anyone has ( For the record im one of the most patient people i know ) but 2hrs 50 mins for 9 holes would test the patience of a saint if he were playing golf......

You know as well as i that if your rhythm in your swing is out then you'll hit bad shots... Its the same with the rhythm of a round.... When everyone is keeping pace with the group in front everything is fine..... When the dont is when things get complicated.....

Its fine phoning in a request but when a club lacks resources then your pretty much out of ideas.....
Like i said earlier...Its either catch the problem at the root....Or have it fall on deaf ears......

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could you tell how far in front of them the next group was?

Also, just playing devil's advocate, but I'm curious to know from the rules experts if trying to keep your dad calm would be classed as helping him?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could you tell how far in front of them the next group was?

Also, just playing devil's advocate, but I'm curious to know from the rules experts if trying to keep your dad calm would be classed as helping him?

They lost nearly a hole and a half by 14 Region..... And by the time we were at the tee box on 15 the 3 in front were 15 yards in front of us and the group in front of them were walking off the 17th......

No idea about that ruling in a stableford Pal.....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wasnt playing very well....I was more concerned about getting a buffer finish as any chance of getting a place was well gone after messing a few holes on the back 9 from poor course management....My Dad on the other hand was after turning with 20 points off a handicap of 16 and playing nicely until we got held up.....
I know how worked up he gets so i said id have a quite word with them when i got to the club house....
First paragraph - specially the bold bit - confused me.

Change 'your problem' to 'your Dad's ptoblem'.

Their reaction in the clubhouse woud seem wrong. Golf should never result in a shouting match!

I've had that thought a couple of times on the course too!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not inviting groups through is what's unacceptable.

Ok, I'll rephrase.
Being forced to take 2 hours 50 for 9 holes because of the ignorance and inability of some people to follow the guidelines laid down on what to do when players are holding up quicker players and should allow quicker players to play through is unacceptable.
Better?

People shouldn't have to 'handle the slow play of others'
The slow players should be able to understand what to do when they're holding up quicker players.
Why should people have to tolerate golfers who don't follow the guidelines and clearly don't know how to behave as in the OP

The reply i got was "Why should we call ye through"

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
First paragraph - specially the bold bit - confused me.

Change 'your problem' to 'your Dad's ptoblem'.

Their reaction in the clubhouse woud seem wrong. Golf should never result in a shouting match!

I've had that thought a couple of times on the course too!

No harm done Pal.... I wasnt having a go.... Maybe i could have worded it a little better.:thup: