Why O' Why..... Rant Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
People shouldn't have to 'handle the slow play of others'

Occasional/temporary slow play does need to be handled imo. But permanent slow play should not be tolerated.

The slow players should be able to understand what to do when they're holding up quicker players.
Why should people have to tolerate golfers who don't follow the guidelines and clearly don't know how to behave as in the OP

Agree 100%

But it's a problem the Club should be addressing, not individual players. That only breeds resentment and other bad feeling.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If you have no faith in your committee as their all possibly pally with the/those seniors anyway, get the required amount of members needed and call an EGM to raise the matter formerly and state that a vote of no confidence could be recorded if they don't take complaints seriously.

Might gee them up a touch. :mmm:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand you are in a spot with the names, but they are members and surely they must be known around the place. Unless you put it in writing and make an appointment to see the captain or powers that be there is nothing going to get done. Sometimes it takes someone to put their head above the parapet

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
And by the time we were at the tee box on 15 the 3 in front were 15 yards in front of us and the group in front of them were walking off the 17th......

I think seeing as they couldn't be bothered to cordially invite you thru you should have asked at this stage.

"Can we play thru please?"

"We've nearly finished now so there's no point"

"Well seeing as you don't know golfing etiquette can you please speed up as you're holding us (and the other 3 groups behind us) up"

:thup:

I'll add... i don't normally expect to get invited thru after the 13/14th as no one is really going to save more than an extra 15/20 minutes anyway (unless people carve balls into the cabbage).

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why cant some people not use the bit of grey matter between their ears.....
Im on hols this week and with the recession and all the shillings are a little scarce....So going foreign country bound was out....
Anyway ive played a bit of golf over the past few days..... Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and also i played an open singles comp at our own course today.....
With the little patch of grass that currently resides on my head it took what patience i had not to tear it out....

For 9 full holes my dad and myself were caught behind 3 of the slowest golfers iv ever had the displeasure of meeting on a golf course.....
Now i have no issues normally with slow play as long as the slow ones let you through.... I mean everybody has to learn the game at their own pace....

I wasnt playing very well....I was more concerned about getting a buffer finish as any chance of getting a place was well gone after messing a few holes on the back 9 from poor course management....My Dad on the other hand was after turning with 20 points off a handicap of 16 and playing nicely until we got held up.....

Now why is it that some people just cant use their brain and are just down right ignorant to everybody else.....
These were senior golfers and are members of our place a long time.....
It got to the point where a 2 ball that called us through on the 4th hole and who we had gained nearly 2 full holes on had caught us again by the 13th and 2 groups had caught up with them also...

Now the ironic thing here is that i had my 5 yr old son with me as i had promised to take him and as the course is usually quite i was letting him knock some balls in from 100 mtrs..... Even with him in tow we still maintained good time....

One of the group in front had put a tee shot into a bunker on our 13th par 3 and on his 3rd try out of it put it into another bunker at the far side of the green....It took 2 to get onto the green also from that which he is now playing his 7th shot from 20ft the far side of the flag....At index 2 its still not near the hole with his 7th shot......
No chance of a point even with a shot but still ambles around like he's just out for a morning stroll.....

Anyway 14 through 18 this continues for their a 1/3 the way up a fairway and we are waiting on the tee box....We are just after finishing the hole and they are still teeing off on the next....Im making eye contact but there is still no sign of a reaction..... My dad who up to 14 was flying it has now scratched 14 over them...Im trying to keep him focused as i know he has a good score going.......The even lost one of their trio on the 14th and still held us up...

I came away with 32 points....My Dad with 36 which could have been the far side of 40 if he wasnt getting so wound....
I know how worked up he gets so i said id have a quite word with them when i got to the club house....
I was fairly calm at this stage and just asked them why wouldnt they call us through.....

The reply i got was "Why should we call ye through" :angry::angry::angry:
I proceeded to tell them that Etiquette was there for a reason and that if they were not so Ignorant they'd no how to use it...... There were a few choice words thrown around also and i had promised myself not to get wound up but i just couldnt help it.....

As the argument was transpiring he just got up and walked away.....In fairness they knew they were wrong but seemed to just saunter and stroll around liked they owned the course...... It took nearly 2hrs 50 mins to play 9 holes because of them.....

I said iv met some slow people in my time but ye have brought it to a whole new level.... He was still firing obscenities at me to which i replied.... Well if i ever get to the point in my golfing career where i get to the standard of play that ye are at i will take up Knitting.......And left it at that.:sbox:

Sorry but i need to blow off a little steam to someone.

Hey matey I thought you were going to stop moaning.:)
This time im with you,it sounds totally unexeptable.
However,i would have 100% asked nicely if you could have played through.
If then they gave you grief,then you could have done argued.
It amazes me how many people don't ask to go through,of course they should have realised
but some just don't,or they wont let you through.
Just asking and explaining whats happening behind you can help.
2hours 50 for 9 is just crazy,i probably wouldn't have let it go that far.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think seeing as they couldn't be bothered to cordially invite you thru you should have asked at this stage.

"Can we play thru please?"

"We've nearly finished now so there's no point"

"Well seeing as you don't know golfing etiquette can you please speed up as you're holding us (and the other 3 groups behind us) up"

:thup:

I'll add... i don't normally expect to get invited thru after the 13/14th as no one is really going to save more than an extra 15/20 minutes anyway (unless people carve balls into the cabbage).

I made that point outside the clubhouse James......As well as making the point to them of 9,10,11,12,13,and 14th tee's.......

They just didnt give a Fiddlers......
The upside is iv not come across them on Sunday Medals....Thank God....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey matey I thought you were going to stop moaning.:)
This time im with you,it sounds totally unexeptable.
However,i would have 100% asked nicely if you could have played through.
If then they gave you grief,then you could have done argued.
It amazes me how many people don't ask to go through,of course they should have realised
but some just don't,or they wont let you through.
Just asking and explaining whats happening behind you can help.
2hours 50 for 9 is just crazy,i probably wouldn't have let it go that far.

Sorry Pal.... I had to let fly just this once.:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I'd expect to be invited thru up to about 15, but there's no point from 16 on imo - unless searching for a ball.

Earliest opportunity i my approach. Having folk up my backside puts me off more than being behind slow players.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Once in the OPs situation I eventually wandered up to the group in front as they eventually cleared the green and said 'guys - you're enjoying your game and as we are playing as little quicker than you and we don't want to push you it'll be OK if we play through...' A grudging 'Ok - go on then' was given.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was actually told to play through today...

Yep - that's right "TOLD" to.

Well, the words were actually "Do you mind playing through, we're both feeling a bit tired"

I kid you not.

They'd only held me up for, what, 10

holes!!!

Then they almost demand that I play through as they wanted to have a rest.....

Peasents.....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was actually told to play through today...

Yep - that's right "TOLD" to.

Well, the words were actually "Do you mind playing through, we're both feeling a bit tired"

I kid you not.

They'd only held me up for, what, 10

holes!!!

Then they almost demand that I play through as they wanted to have a rest.....

Peasents.....

Brilliant Murg..... Thats a Gem that one...:clap::clap:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There was a bit of a stushie on our place last year when a fouball (one new member plus three guests) had a right go at a foursomes match playing behind them. Accordoing to the 4ball the foursomes match was 'pushing' and 'pressurising' them continuously making the fourball's round a miserly. The fact that one of each pair of the foursomes was walking ahead and it was this that was freaking out the fourball - slow as the 4ball nonetheless was - and that this was what a foursomes match would often do didn't register - neither did fact that they could have let the foursomes through many holes before. Abusive and aggresive language from the member resulted when one of the foursomes match asked if they could play through. Pity that the new member didn't realise that he was having a go at one of the most respected long-standing members of the club - and committee member to boot. New member got a good talking to from the Secretary.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Kid

sounds like it's time for you to join a new club if your current one won't do anything about slow play :(