Footjoy Lee Westwood Day at Royal Wimbledon - Pics as well

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right then, straight out of the box, a huge thanks to Golf Monthly, Footjoy and also Lee Westwood! Great day!

Soooo. Drove down the M6 car park on Monday (few beers near Guildford) as was an early start.

Tuesday morning arrives and I thought I'd rather be earlier than later, so expecting "southern" traffic I gave myself a good 90 mins to get there. Took 35. Still, I was met by the pro (really nice chap) who showed me where to get a brew. Must admit, Royal Wimbledon is a great set up. Club house is a wonderful mix of the historical side of the club, yet mixes it with a very modern feel.

Rob (winner from Twitter) and Dave (Curls) also rocked up quite early so we had chance to meet each other before the day really started.

We were soon off the see the Footjoy lads (and Mike, tip tapping away on his lapi, wondering why he follows Everton rather then the mighty non-league Charnock Richard FC, but that's another thread entirely :) ) Anyway, back on point.

The shoes. Spikeless. I hold my hand up, don't think I've ever been a fan. Fail to see how they can offer the stability and grip of normal spiked shoes. Well, that opinion got thrown out of the window after we'd also played 18 holes. Mike mentioned that they are his main playing shoe, I can understand why. Very solid (if that's the right word) feel on the course, with great grip and were comfy from the first step.

We also got fully kitted out with the Footjoy apparel, all outfits fully colour coordinated with mine being a white / green look with blue trousers. Look good play good. Know what I'll be wearing for our Presidents Prize this weekend!

058.jpg

Once we'd been suited and booted, it was of to the range for a golf clinic with "Westy". First surprise was seeing a Tour player carry his own bag. Even for just a few yards buggy to range tee. Billy had better watch out. Quick few wedges to warm up and then he got stuck in. It was a nice, relaxed clinic. Westy went through set up, alignment, ball position. All the time he was answering any question from the group that was thrown at him. Played shots to order, including sticking a drive, into wind, straight over the trees at the end of the range. This lad can play! He even gave a few tips for where amatuers go wrong in these area's and how to improve your game (PRACTISE!)

Managed to get a few pics including the now standard selfie.

066.jpg
067.jpg
068.jpg
069.jpg

Once that was done, we left Westy to do some other filming stuff and Rob, Dave and me headed out for our 18 holes of golf. Royal Wimbledon is a really nice track. The greens were perfect, fast and true and the general condition of the course was top notch. We even saw, this is no word of a lie, one of the green keepers tidying up some scruffy grass on the 1st fairway with hand scissors!!! Rob played well and managed to get a few birdies in. Dave, again very steady. Personally I played like a drunken octopus, 1 good hole, 1 bad kind of thing. Company was great though and we pretty much managed to miss the expected rain apart from one very brief downpour.

071.jpg
073.jpg
080.jpg

After a great day we all departed, in fact the only downside was that I get stuck in the traffic for the coach fire on the M40, fortunately no one injured, so only got back in at 10pm.

Small price for a day that money couldn't buy! Loved every minute of it!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
All dolled up for the day and you forgot to put your hair on! :lol:

Glad you had a great day!

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Awesome write up Adam! great pictures too! No doubt you be buzzing for weeks after that experience and hopefully lee's tips will show through in your next medal :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice write up. Looks like there's been a lot of nice weather from all that parched ground.

Glad you guys had a nice day.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks for sharing followed quite a bit of the evnt on twitter /FB sounds a great day and a nice outfit to boot.

did you miss the sign smash challenge then? guess that was done away from the main clinic afterwards.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Beat me to it Adam!!! What a fantastic day.

What I learned
1. Royal Wimbledon is a top class facility with great staff, I very much doubt I’ll ever be a member at such an exclusive club but it was fantastic to experience it for a day. Here’s an action shot of the very tidy golfer Rob approaching.

WDo.jpg

Despite Adams self-assessment he played some really good stuff particularly on the front 9, I think we all tired towards the end – the wind was really strong and we battled it all day, there are a lot more hills there than my local and we had burned a lot of adrenaline with the excitement of the clinic earlier! Excuses made. :)

2. Footjoy apparel is not something I would have previously considered but I can see myself browsing already, and like Adam my mind has been completely changed on the spikeless shoes. We were given the Dryjoy Comfort and comfort is the word! Also gave us FJ socks, again something I probably wouldn’t have bought, but I’m straight down to the shops to get another pair this weekend. Who remembers Paul O Hagan?! He’s an FJ ambassador now, and both he and Leo Cutler made sure we were looked after. Unfortunately someone thought I was a Medium (no I don’t speak to the dead, as in the shirt, jumper and belt were a little big) – but straight away Leo gave me his card and said they’d send Small versions in the post – beat that! Proper customer service. I’ve been fit for FJ shoes before so knew my size and as per usual they were comfortable out of the box, no wearing or discomfort despite a fairly good work out over hilly terrain, and never lost traction despite really getting into a few drives. A few of them even went where I wanted them to. As for the others, I believe there are a number of ProV1s on the M25 if anyone can be bothered to look. ;)

FJ.jpg

3. And finally to the range session with Westwood. I was lucky enough to be front and centre, and to see the contact from that close was incredible. His swing tempo is perfect with a real whip and compression through impact that I hadn’t previously appreciated. His divots were consistent, except when he showed us how to play a high or low shot, in which case they were shallower/deeper. He said most amateurs have two main issues - set up (alignement etc), and we hit from the top, once the backswing is done we lose most of their power in the transition. Guilty as charged. It’s mid season so I’m not going there now but this is the next thing I want to work on, the consistency of his strikes, the way he could shape the ball, it’s all very inspiring and of course I’ll never get anywhere close to that level but it’s something to aspire to, to be able to control the ball like that. I only videoed three swings because I didn't want to miss it behind a camera, plus it was be filmed by Sheilds et al anyway so Im sure you'll see a proper version soon! The guys were talking about when Rory used the range and hit a bunker on the 15th fairway (about 300 yards away), over the trees at the back. As in they said "there are two bunkers there", he said which one will I go for, and proceeded to hit it. Hence the reference to Rory at the end by someone.

https://youtu.be/2kbloTvVpYk

Nailed. It.

What more is there to say but a huge thank you to Golf Monthly, Footjoy and everyone involved for putting on such a great show. In a word it was inspiring. Finally the day was spent in the absolute best company, Rob and Adam are top guys and we had a thoroughly enjoyable round – thanks lads!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Beat me to it Adam!!! What a fantastic day.

What I learned
1. Royal Wimbledon is a top class facility with great staff, I very much doubt I’ll ever be a member at such an exclusive club but it was fantastic to experience it for a day. Here’s an action shot of the very tidy golfer Rob approaching.

View attachment 15997

Despite Adams self-assessment he played some really good stuff particularly on the front 9, I think we all tired towards the end – the wind was really strong and we battled it all day, there are a lot more hills there than my local and we had burned a lot of adrenaline with the excitement of the clinic earlier! Excuses made. :)

2. Footjoy apparel is not something I would have previously considered but I can see myself browsing already, and like Adam my mind has been completely changed on the spikeless shoes. We were given the Dryjoy Comfort and comfort is the word! Also gave us FJ socks, again something I probably wouldn’t have bought, but I’m straight down to the shops to get another pair this weekend. Who remembers Paul O Hagan?! He’s an FJ ambassador now, and both he and Leo Cutler made sure we were looked after. Unfortunately someone thought I was a Medium (no I don’t speak to the dead, as in the shirt, jumper and belt were a little big) – but straight away Leo gave me his card and said they’d send Small versions in the post – beat that! Proper customer service. I’ve been fit for FJ shoes before so knew my size and as per usual they were comfortable out of the box, no wearing or discomfort despite a fairly good work out over hilly terrain, and never lost traction despite really getting into a few drives. A few of them even went where I wanted them to. As for the others, I believe there are a number of ProV1s on the M25 if anyone can be bothered to look. ;)

View attachment 15998

3. And finally to the range session with Westwood. I was lucky enough to be front and centre, and to see the contact from that close was incredible. His swing tempo is perfect with a real whip and compression through impact that I hadn’t previously appreciated. His divots were consistent, except when he showed us how to play a high or low shot, in which case they were shallower/deeper. He said most amateurs have two main issues - set up (alignement etc), and we hit from the top, once the backswing is done we lose most of their power in the transition. Guilty as charged. It’s mid season so I’m not going there now but this is the next thing I want to work on, the consistency of his strikes, the way he could shape the ball, it’s all very inspiring and of course I’ll never get anywhere close to that level but it’s something to aspire to, to be able to control the ball like that. I only videoed three swings because I didn't want to miss it behind a camera, plus it was be filmed by Sheilds et al anyway so Im sure you'll see a proper version soon! The guys were talking about when Rory used the range and hit a bunker on the 15th fairway (about 300 yards away), over the trees at the back. As in they said "there are two bunkers there", he said which one will I go for, and proceeded to hit it. Hence the reference to Rory at the end by someone.

https://youtu.be/2kbloTvVpYk

Nailed. It.

What more is there to say but a huge thank you to Golf Monthly, Footjoy and everyone involved for putting on such a great show. In a word it was inspiring. Finally the day was spent in the absolute best company, Rob and Adam are top guys and we had a thoroughly enjoyable round – thanks lads!

Great write up. Was Paul O Hagan the guy that used to do the bit in the mag where they explained what all the technical guff that golf companies come up with meant? I used to really like those, very informative. Still if you are getting paid to be an ambassador by Footjoy then well done and fill your boots. But I would question the impartiality of this in light of that news http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/reviews/shoes/footjoy-hyperflex-review ;)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great write up. Was Paul O Hagan the guy that used to do the bit in the mag where they explained what all the technical guff that golf companies come up with meant? I used to really like those, very informative. Still if you are getting paid to be an ambassador by Footjoy then well done and fill your boots. But I would question the impartiality of this in light of that news http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/reviews/shoes/footjoy-hyperflex-review ;)

Hahaha, very good, I can speak from my own experience and say the Hyperflex are excellent!

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site

sorry to dampen your bonfire Nick - I know you love a good conspiracy theory when it comes to us and golf equipment but Paul produced that video when he was our technical editor
he went off to work for FJ a couple of months ago and is their marketing manager rather than ambassador

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Excellent write up boys and if I wasn't jealous before ( I was), then I am now.

PS, did you say heyup me duck to Lee for me.