Equipment can make a difference it seems

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Using the Cleveland Classic driver, I've kind of struggled to work with it. A lot worse than when I owned the Titliest 983K and 975D before it. If it wasn't a low fade off the tee, it was a high push slice, and it was starting to get me down. Coupled with not being able to use the Taylormade Rescue 3 wood hybrid I felt I was doomed.

A trip to the driving range at the weekend was meant to be a session of curing these hiccups, and it was met with a "Do you do trade-ins for clubs?" Yes the man replies. Come and have a look. I explained my new found love for golf after a long spell and what I had to offer. A Cleveland Classic 9 degree driver in mint condition. He pulled out a PING G15 10.5 degree regular shafted driver and said to go melt a few with that and come back as this was his fave driver.

OMG

After about 60 balls I was sold. I didn't hit the Cleveland again. It's not the Draw version but for some reason I can now Draw the driver whenever I wan't. I did work on a posture change over the week too using some drills so it's maybe a combination of both.

I also managed to source a PING G15 3 wood too and that hits amazingly well too. Bought that right away.

PING G15 Driver £50
PING G15 3 Wood £40
Both with headcovers.

The guy also mentioned that the irons I'm using could well be inconsistent as they were aimed at low handicappers. No reason not to trust it and he certainly didn't try to sell me anything else. I got the driver regripped with a midsize multi compound grip too. Made such a difference. He gave me 50 extra balls to try the grip out afterwards.

It's made me think what other treasures are out there that could well turn this game into a much more pleasing journey. I looked at the G15/G20 irons, however, they look a bit beast and that massive soleplate is offputting.

Anyway, I'm still amazed that I've found a great set of long clubs, that I can draw too. Actually drawing it seems a lot easier than trying to hit it straight.

Thought I'd share my wee adventure.

Cheers,

Paul

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Using the Cleveland Classic driver, I've kind of struggled to work with it. A lot worse than when I owned the Titliest 983K and 975D before it. If it wasn't a low fade off the tee, it was a high push slice, and it was starting to get me down. Coupled with not being able to use the Taylormade Rescue 3 wood hybrid I felt I was doomed.

A trip to the driving range at the weekend was meant to be a session of curing these hiccups, and it was met with a "Do you do trade-ins for clubs?" Yes the man replies. Come and have a look. I explained my new found love for golf after a long spell and what I had to offer. A Cleveland Classic 9 degree driver in mint condition. He pulled out a PING G15 10.5 degree regular shafted driver and said to go melt a few with that and come back as this was his fave driver.

OMG

After about 60 balls I was sold. I didn't hit the Cleveland again. It's not the Draw version but for some reason I can now Draw the driver whenever I wan't. I did work on a posture change over the week too using some drills so it's maybe a combination of both.

I also managed to source a PING G15 3 wood too and that hits amazingly well too. Bought that right away.

PING G15 Driver £50
PING G15 3 Wood £40
Both with headcovers.

The guy also mentioned that the irons I'm using could well be inconsistent as they were aimed at low handicappers. No reason not to trust it and he certainly didn't try to sell me anything else. I got the driver regripped with a midsize multi compound grip too. Made such a difference. He gave me 50 extra balls to try the grip out afterwards.

It's made me think what other treasures are out there that could well turn this game into a much more pleasing journey. I looked at the G15/G20 irons, however, they look a bit beast and that massive soleplate is offputting.

Anyway, I'm still amazed that I've found a great set of long clubs, that I can draw too. Actually drawing it seems a lot easier than trying to hit it straight.

Thought I'd share my wee adventure.

Cheers,

Paul

It's always great when something like that happens!

I'm a big fan of the older Ping drivers, I had a G5 for ages and when I got rid of it I regretted it big time. It wasn't until I got my current RBZ that I was happy with my driver again.

That's a good price you got on those I'd say.

In my opinion, finding the right head / shaft combo in a driver and three wood is a bigger deal than irons (others may disagree) so I wouldn't necessarily switch your current irons straight away, however, why not give a few sets a go?? It'd be rude not to....

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes I will over time. Just a matter of fitting it in. This was a rare opportunity and when my gut talks I tend to listen. A lot more forgiving even when I knew I toed it. Usually you get the wobble, which caused a slight over Draw but much better than the previous failed shots.

Fairway Accuracy on Game Golf at the moment is sitting at 47% so it will be interesting using a combination of both clubs how much I can get this down.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I will over time. Just a matter of fitting it in. This was a rare opportunity and when my gut talks I tend to listen. A lot more forgiving even when I knew I toed it. Usually you get the wobble, which caused a slight over Draw but much better than the previous failed shots.

Fairway Accuracy on Game Golf at the moment is sitting at 47% so it will be interesting using a combination of both clubs how much I can get this down.

47% is pretty good already - better than mine I'm sure.

Be warned though, it's the universal rule of new clubs, they're the best clubs ever until you've bought them, that's when the misbehaving starts....

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The G15 driver is a good one. No doubt. I'm just about thinking of trading up, but finding it hard to justify cos Im stil lhitting mine quite well.

Regards the irons, it's true chap, the G15s are great little clubs. Well, they're shovels actuallly, they're great big beautiful shovels. Sure maybe the good ones dont feel as sweet out of the middle, but when you miss the middle as often as we do you'll be glad of the forgiveness they offer you. I'm not in the market for new ones.

Not tried the more recent versions but I'm sure you'd notice a difference in coming up to something from this range.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should try the G-range of irons. I tried the G30's before I bought my Coverts and they were great. Performed very similar to the Coverts, but as the Coverts were cheaper, I went with those. They age well too, Westwood was still using the G10 driver last year!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nothing to do with magic dust folks. Driving range Sat morning and Sun afternoon (250 balls in total) kind of confirmed to me that I had indeed found a more forgiving and better club for me. Alot more consistent shots that when set up, flew in the way I expected. From what I can gather, this club was designed for folk like me. The i15 for the better player. It's no surprise I'm feeling it's a better hit than a 9 degree 290CC driver.

Factor in the one hour drills each night last week with more basic moves in the takeaway and I think it's good work that paid off. I did try the new Callaway Big Bertha driver too for kicks and giggles, and it just ballooned straight up in the air not even reaching the 250y marker. Falling well short. I knocked a good few balls over the back fence at Bishopbriggs and the fence is not far after the 250y marker.

Not really a fan of the PiNG irons in the way they look over the ball. Remind me of my mates Peter Alliss irons. Heavy headed and clunky. The Titliest AP1 714 or 712 seem more my style of head. Keen to continue to use mine for now to see how it goes.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely!

I went from using a rusting starter set to some second hand mizunos and from a starter set driver to the ping g15 and dropped over 4 shots!

I later did the opposite to you and went from the g15 to the cleavelnd classic xl custom, best descison as the Cleveland is an amazing club, very low spin and perfect ball flight.

Lessons also played a huge part but I ended the equipment to deliver those improvements.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting. The Classic XL is a lovely driver. If my local pro would bother to get back to me about availability on lessons I'd be on them.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad to hear you've found yourself a winner! I should stop reading these threads, my bank balance can't take it. Plus I've managed to loosen the head of my hand-me-down Titleist 5w at the range today after hitting it fairly well for once...it's a sign from above to get a hybrid! Must....Resist...:mmm:

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My good lady is happy I'm playing golf. It's far less expensive than buying white Canon lenses at £4000 a pop, and bodies at £2000. I've bought memory cards more expensive than the clubs I've bought recently. Happy not to be in pro photography anymore. Less stressful playing golf than it is photographing it.