One tip that changed your game?

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t take advice from anyone on how to play a course, practice it and learn it yourself.

You know your own game better, just because the hole ‘isn’t a driver’ hole for them, doesn’t mean it isn’t for you.

I recently joined a new club and was told most of the holes were not driver holes. Well I hit my driver pretty straight and avoid danger, there’s only one hole where I don’t hit driver where I could.

YandaB

Visit site
1) that your score is measured in strokes, not whacks, not wellies, not bashes, not knock the living daylights out of it but gentle strokes
2) Open your mouth when swinging, you can’t tense your neck very easily with an open jaw

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On this, I presume all are aware Nick Dougherty does a tee time tip on Instagram daily - really good stuff. Now been put as a sky show for those wanting to catch up but I pay less attention when they're coming at you in bulk.

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
For me this winter it was the feel of the takeaway, a tennis ball between the wrists and the shoulders doing all the turning initially (although the rest of you does start to move). With the driver feel the head swinging down to the ground before swinging up. Less heeled driver shots and 'Sherman tanks' this summer.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a higher handicapper, if you take 5 strokes per hole, then you've just shot 90.
Undoubtedly I will not always make the par 5's, but 4 on the 3's makes up for that.

A mental tip, but I have found that it has helped me keep my round going.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
No tip can change your game for long. It might work one day but it won't work the next.
The reason is because there are over 200 bones in the human body and over 800 muscles. Together they act like levers and you cannot coordinate them all in the swing.
That's why golf is 90% inspiration and 10% perspiration.
There is no right or wrong way to swing a golf club and there are no secrets or magic moves.
Tips are actually your worst enemy as they will dominate your thoughts.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't think you need to try and get your irons level at the top of your backswing - someone facing should see your left arm at 10-10:30 of the clock - it might feel like a half-swing - but it's not.

D

Deleted member 21258

Always believing the next shot will be your best shot ever.

Just wish I could get my son to think like that, he so often follows one bad shot with the next, due to not having that belief and taking one shot at a time.:p

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, you could also try "Don't worry, be happy" or whistle "Always look on the bright side of life", but I found "Feeling groovy" is the one that triggers the least aggression in my playing partners :whistle:

Funny you say that - but for the last 40 yrs when I find myself getting het up - rushing my shots and rushing between shots - I sing to myself 'Slow down - you move to fast - you got to make the morning last - Just kicking down the cobblestones - Looking for fun and feeling groovy…'

And that slows me down - and calms me down :)