One Course In Leeds

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our golf trip this years takes us to Leeds. We play one on the way there, one when there and one on the way back. So with a possibility of two courses to play in the Leeds area, as we like to get close to our destination for the first one, where would you play? We're coming up from Cheshire, and staying SW of Leeds centre. I fancy Headingly some lovely holes looking at their website. Oooo Not bonkers expensive either.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Alwoodley is a fantastic course, designed by Alistair MacKenzie (who designed Augusta National) . In the Top 200 (if not Top 100). Moor Allerton is also a good course, designed by Robert Trent Jones Snr. 3 loops of 9, all of good quality. Moortown, also designed by Alistair MacKenzie (who designed Augusta National) hosted the first Ryder Cup match on British soil.

None of them are cheap, though, and all are in the North east of Leeds, as is Headingley.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All of the above are great shouts. For some reason you can get Moor Allerton at a very decent price at certain times that make it an absolute bargain. Don't confuse bargain with not very good, it is a really good course and the one I would go to if you are having to balance costs. None are bad options though.

Leeds / Harrogate are fabulous places for golf trips, so many top choices.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing Sand Moor in a couple of weeks time on a winter deal that's been extended because of the weather for £30 inc 1 course meal. Absolute bargain. Such a lovely course.

Your spoilt around that area with more expensive courses like Alwoodley and Moortown, then course's like Moor Allerton, Leeds (Wyke Ridge), Oulton Hall and maybe chuck Rudding Park in the mix. Howley Hall is a nice course but imo not a patch on the other's mentioned. Another course near Headingley is Horsforth which is a decent course, next to the airport and not expensive either.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Are deals to be had at Oulton Hall, although the course is a bit hit and miss, Plus can be very slow given a resort course. Nice clubhouse and range facilities though!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Moorallerton is great, especially in the wet. Tashyboy & I played there last year after driving through a non stop torrential downpour. The course was perfectly dry. 27 interesting holes, dirt cheap & quiet.

This, 👍 A lovely clubhouse to sit and have a few beers as well.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My old club. if you get the choice of which holes to play I would suggest 10-27, although 1-9 & 19-27 is also an excellent combo.

Slowhand think that is the 18 we played 1-9 and 19-27. 27th hole is a par 5 playing over the water on the approach. Can imagine that hole has wrecked a few cards.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Huddersfield Golf Club @ Fixby is no more than 10mins from the M62 and a great course, one of the best in the area.

This is your course if looking for somewhere near Huddersfield.

In North Leeds, Headingly is 3rd behind Alwoodley & Moortown...... then Sandmoor & MoorAllerton though the latter suffers badly from the wet as does Scarcroft & Wetherby.
You'll get a very good deal at Wike Ridge (Leeds Golf Centre) which is as good as the rest...... we're spoilt for good golf in N Leeds :fore:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it's looking like Huddersfield on the way up and Moor Allerton when there. I'll look for something close by for the return (although I like Pike Fold and may go for that).
Now then, pubs to frequent when there. Any suggestions? Oh and by pubs I mean proper pubs, with dart board, pool table and good beer. This last bit is a MUST.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
So it's looking like Huddersfield on the way up and Moor Allerton when there. I'll look for something close by for the return (although I like Pike Fold and may go for that).
Now then, pubs to frequent when there. Any suggestions? Oh and by pubs I mean proper pubs, with dart board, pool table and good beer. This last bit is a MUST.

I usually frequent The Darcy, on Harrogate Road. No dartboard or pool table butt the beer is pretty good and there's a quiz on a Sunday & Tuesday which is good for a laugh. The Dexter used to be OK but I haven't been for a while. further afield from the golf clubs there are a couple of pubs on Street Lane (The Roundhay Fox, Deer Park and Thomas Osbourne). Not sure what they are like though.