Olympics

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
DA-S needs (at least seems to need) races/competition to inspire her to perform. Covid restrictions have meant that these have been greatly restricted, so the incentive to train has been missing too. It's all about finding the 'best' incentive and hers has been forcibly removed! That said, it's great to see Daryll Neita qualified for the Final - even though i don't expect her to feature except as an 'also ran'. A Jamaican 1-2-3 seems, to me, quite likely, but Neita could well become UK's best female sprinter quite soon.
The best incentive is to be injury free. She's running with a hamstring problem, which is why I'm surprised she's competing in the relay.
As for the best British runner, don't write Dina Asha Smith off just yet. ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Agreed, but had she been injury free she would have at least had a chance of a medal.

Michael Johnson said, before anyone knew of Asher-Smith’s injury issues, that for her to medal she would have to run a season’s best. That seemed a fair assessment at the time.

Not quite at the races I’m afraid, injury or no injury.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...She's running with a hamstring problem, which is why I'm surprised she's competing in the relay.
Injury? Or 'niggle' that simply reduces her speed! If the latter, she's still better than possible (if there are any!) alternatives.

D-S

Visit site
Michael Johnson said, before anyone knew of Asher-Smith’s injury issues, that for her to medal she would have to run a season’s best. That seemed a fair assessment at the time.

She would have needed to have run an all time personal best just to ge5 bronze - 3rd place was 10.76 seconds vs her PB of 10.83.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
From her interview she isn't currently injured rather than short on specific training prior to the games as she recovered and lost valuable time.

So she's not likely to be competitive at the 200m but possibly still a strong option in the relay.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

That's a bit of a contradiction. Your saying MJ's assessment is fair before he knew of her injury and then you say, not at the races with no injury.
I stand by what I said, DAS is quite capable of a medal if she's injury free.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That's a bit of a contradiction. Your saying MJ's assessment is fair before he knew of her injury and then you say, not at the races with no injury.
I stand by what I said, DAS is quite capable of a medal if she's injury free.

Not really a contradiction. I’m agreeing with MJ, who made his observation BEFORE the injury was made public - Asha-Smith isn’t quite good enough to be medalling at these Olympics, regardless of the injury.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, is she injured or just not race fit? The information seems to be contradictory.

Roger Black this morning suggested she wouldn't win a medal in the 100m but there was a genuine chance in the 200m. It's a shame that we won't get a chance to see if he would have been right.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really a contradiction. I’m agreeing with MJ, who made his observation BEFORE the injury was made public - Asha-Smith isn’t quite good enough to be medalling at these Olympics, regardless of the injury.
Yes, I agree with MJ's opinion too, she could have medalled had she been fully fit and injury free. She is certainly good enough to better her PB.
So let's just agree to disagree.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If you accept the premise that the Olympics is a chance to showcase golf (not saying I do!), why would the director/producer of the content think showing 45 seconds of people walking is a good idea? Baffling.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you accept the premise that the Olympics is a chance to showcase golf (not saying I do!), why would the director/producer of the content think showing 45 seconds of people walking is a good idea? Baffling.

Watching and imagining it through the eyes of someone who never watches or plays golf but loves the Olympics...I'd turn over and say "what's that sport all about...standing around doing nothing for ages"!