Olympics

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I fully get what you are saying but is not staying on the board a basic element, like staying upright on skis, skates, not sinking in a boat, rowing straight, staying on the beam, bars etc in gymnastics, divers making a decent entry and so on. Athletes push themselves and the odd one will fall off but when every competitor falls off that is pretty poor. It doesn't matter that it is hard, it is meant to be hard at elite level. To win medals we, the spectators, want to see something special. If the competitors can't do that then maybe the sport (I say that very, very loosely for skateboarding) is not ready for the Olympics.

I could stay on a board for hours just going along but the tricks they are pulling off are very impressive.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, imagine if you watched the 110m hurdles and every single runner tripped over at least one hurdle and hit the deck, had to get back up and drag themselves to the end and only two people finished. :LOL:
I think my personal ‘record’ is 54.6s because I stalled 3 times.
In show jumping (one of those horse sports) it’s a DQ, in athletics it is just embarrassing.
The things you do to get your team a single point, even in a league you can’t get relegated from ;-)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like the way he's not pc in a world where being pc is now nearly compulsory.
The BBC would never employ this big mouthed Brit.

It's more his arrogance and how he shouts over people not letting have their say that I don't like.

Agree with his stance on Markle but not the US gymnast. How does he know she is not on suicide watch?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could stay on a board for hours just going along but the tricks they are pulling off are very impressive.
No doubt but as a spectator I want to see them pull them off and stay on the board. Analogies are always tough but if we take gymnastics for example, you want the medalists to stay on the parallel bars, stay on the horse etc when doing ridiculously difficult stuff. That is what the best in the world should be about. Doing a trick and then falling off is only going to work for hard core boarders. The rest will switch over.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I know the X-Games, see post 231.

I'm guessing it is the same athletes who compete in the X-Games though, and I imagine they still fall off?

Yep. They could all do tricks or routines where they don't fall off. But that's not the way scoring works.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really enjoyed the mixed 4x100 relay - looked like a really good fun event that the swimmers enjoyed

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This could have been on random irritations but it's about the Olympics so I'll keep it here. Co commentators, former competitors, who shriek throughout an event ruining it for the watcher. I saw repeats of the bmx finals this morning, no spoilers, and the co commentator, sat in a studio in Salford, barely said a coherent word throughout and just shrieked over the commentator. It happens in other sports as well but today was the worst.

I'm sure it will be excused as 'passion' ? but it is just painful.

Anyway rant over ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
This could have been on random irritations but it's about the Olympics so I'll keep it here. Co commentators, former competitors, who shriek throughout an event ruining it for the watcher. I saw repeats of the bmx finals this morning, no spoilers, and the co commentator, sat in a studio in Salford, barely said a coherent word throughout and just shrieked over the commentator. It happens in other sports as well but today was the worst.

Anyway rant over ?

I actually thought it was really sweet as she was beside herself and just like us shouting at the TV "go go go pedalpedalpedalpedal" - ok that's not her job but she got swept up in the moment...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually thought it was really sweet as she was beside herself and just like us shouting at the TV "go go go pedalpedalpedalpedal" - ok that's not her job but she got swept up in the moment...
But there lies in the point. Her job is to give insight before, during and after the race as a former competitor. Be excited, particularly at the end, but if you lose it throughout then you are no use. Once would have been excusable but she did the same for both finals.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

Anyway rant over ?
I said it before. Just because someone is or was great at a particular sport doesn’t necessarily qualify them to present a sport.
Any sport, not just the Olympics. Match of the day, London Marathon, F1, Wimbledon, … They all use some people that just don’t come across well.
A qualified presenter with passion and knowledge of the sport would be my choice most of the time, like Vernon Kay in American Football.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I said it before. Just because someone is or was great at a particular sport doesn’t necessarily qualify them to present a sport.
Any sport, not just the Olympics. Match of the day, London Marathon, F1, Wimbledon, … They all use some people that just don’t come across well.
A qualified presenter with passion and knowledge of the sport would be my choice most of the time, like Vernon Kay in American Football.
Sadly it doesn't seem fashionable to use a professional journalist / presenter any more. The move towards the ex-pro seems unstoppable. Some work very well, cricket and golf have produced excellent ones for example, but so many are just not smooth enough and it jars. In the Olympics it makes it worse when you sit an ex athlete next to Claire Balding or Dan Walker for example, it just amplifies the difference.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Anyway rant over ?
Oh Lordy Lordy, don't be such a stick in the mud! ?.
We need some passion from commentators, it's no different from football commentators when they scream at a great goal, except that it only lasts for a few seconds, remember Agueeeerrrrrrooooo! It's exciting when they compete for a very close finish as in the BMX heats!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh Lordy Lordy, don't be such a stick in the mud! ?.
We need some passion from commentators, it's no different from football commentators when they scream at a great goal, except that it only lasts for a few seconds, remember Agueeeerrrrrrooooo! It's exciting when they compete for a very close finish as in the BMX heats!
He didn't shout 'go Sergio, go Sergio, go Sergio, run, run, run' for 2 minutes ?. Lose it in the home straight not from 20 seconds on ?