Olympics

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Games really are different, the Tae Kwon Do team are already back in the UK. Guess it is turn up, compete, head home. No staying around until the closing ceremony.
The condom suppliers will be gutted. The village is usually very 'active' after people have finished their events :oops:.

Joking apart, it is a real shame that the experience is not the same. Such are the times.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The condom suppliers will be gutted. The village is usually very 'active' after people have finished their events :oops:
Haven’t you heard about the special anti mingling beds they use this time? They are supposed to break if more than one athlete is bouncing on them.

Of course, 2 gymnast are possibly lighter than 1 weight lifter, but in principle they are supposed to stop the spread of Corona by stopping athletes to ‘mingle’

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Games really are different, the Tae Kwon Do team are already back in the UK. Guess it is turn up, compete, head home. No staying around until the closing ceremony.

Flight home within 48 hours of competition involvement ending..

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haven’t you heard about the special anti mingling beds they use this time? They are supposed to break if more than one athlete is bouncing on them.

Of course, 2 gymnast are possibly lighter than 1 weight lifter, but in principle they are supposed to stop the spread of Corona by stopping athletes to ‘mingle’

What about Jason and Laura Kenny who are married and both competing? poor them! :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flight home within 48 hours of competition involvement ending..

Out of interest, I wonder whether anyone actually asked the athletes whether they would rather have the Olympics this year in empty stadiums with bubbles and straight home after or postpone it again to allow the full experience next year. Assume that their opinions do not matter but would be interested to hear the real thoughts as opposed to the media safe replies that will be given out.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What about Jason and Laura Kenny who are married and both competing? poor them! :ROFLMAO:
Personally I would not take any cyclists to the Olympics. In previous years it turned out they all had so severe asthma that they needed to take medication (TUE), in times of COVID it’s just to dangerous to leave the house for them. After all, it’s the lungs which are mostly affected.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

That was a total myth apparently. Some athletes made videos debunking it. Apparently it took 9 people jumping up and down to break one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's plain mean :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I watched the skateboarding event live… gender didn’t occur to me. What struck me was how rubbish they were (they as in all of them, not they as in the one they).
Honestly dreadful, even with multiple attempts to ‘stick’ their chosen trick, they almost all ended up on the deck

Maybe things like youtube etc where you only ever see the huge successes or the massive fails from niche sports like this have clouded my expectation but it was a miserable spectacle

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I watched the skateboarding event live… gender didn’t occur to me. What struck me was how rubbish they were (they as in all of them, not they as in the one they).
Honestly dreadful, even with multiple attempts to ‘stick’ their chosen trick, they almost all ended up on the deck

Maybe things like youtube etc where you only ever see the huge successes or the massive fails from niche sports like this have clouded my expectation but it was a miserable spectacle
Did you watch both competitions? Is there much difference between them? Is strength important? Or could they just lob them together into one?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I felt the same way about the bit of surfing I watched the other night, nowhere near as exciting as TV and Film had led me to believe.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Did you watch both competitions? Is there much difference between them? Is strength important? Or could they just lob them together into one?

Just the first comp (luckily there's about 8 Olympic channels on our broadcaster out here so if you dont fancy something its easy to channel hop) Really thought it would be a better standard though. Some of the other sports have been great viewing

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just the first comp (luckily there's about 8 Olympic channels on our broadcaster out here so if you dont fancy something its easy to channel hop) Really thought it would be a better standard though. Some of the other sports have been great viewing
In the gymnastic I have seen 2 falls. One GB athlete on the pommel horse and the Japanese older guy who did his last Olympics on the bar. In skateboarding I have seen one guy who didn't fall off, he won silver.

Maybe it's just that these modern sports have a judging system us old people are not familiar/happy with.
It's the Olympics, you have one shot, every jump counts, ... . That's what we know. Oh the outcry when the 1st false start led to DQs a few years back.
These modern sports are very inclusive. You have a go, ... . Fell off, try again. And people from 4th place down get a sticker.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I saw one round of the mens comp the other day and it was very much the same. They pretty much all did the same routine and all bar 1, I think, fell off at some point. Not that great is it? I suspect on youtube and the like we see take 37 or an edited version that is perfect and that is how we think. Reality is clearly very different. Disappointing.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
In the gymnastic I have seen 2 falls. One GB athlete on the pommel horse and the Japanese older guy who did his last Olympics on the bar. In skateboarding I have seen one guy who didn't fall off, he won silver.

Maybe it's just that these modern sports have a judging system us old people are not familiar/happy with.
It's the Olympics, you have one shot, every jump counts, ... . That's what we know. Oh the outcry when the 1st false start led to DQs a few years back.
These modern sports are very inclusive. You have a go, ... . Fell off, try again. And people from 4th place down get a sticker.
Presumably you'll be entering the next skateboarding event to show us all how easy it is?