Olympics

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know you feel good about calling her “he” but you really shouldn’t.

By the way, I agree that she shouldn’t be allowed to compete in this event as her musculature and bone structure was formed when she was a man but I also recognise her right to be known as a woman.

It's a bit presumptive to say that you know he feels "good" about calling her "he"

D

Deleted member 1147

It's a bit presumptive to say that you know he feels "good" about calling her "he"
It's ok, we're all used to his holiness and his holier than thou posts - they are on ignore by a lot of posters I believe

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It's ridiculous that's he's allowed to compete in a strength event, but Semenya has to reduce her testosterone levels to run the 800 metres.

Not with you on this one James. If it’s her natural testosterone level, she should be allowed to compete in any event. Maybe there should be a height limit for basketball players or a speed limit for sprinters. In each case it is the body’s natural attributes which has allowed them to develop.

I think it’s abhorrent to artificially alter someone’s natural growth attributes to make them conform. Taken to its limits would see everyone set the same time.

Until there is a third category that recognises, not discriminates, a different(natural) classification she should be afforded the right to compete.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a tough one for sure as she must also be taking medication to suppress testosterone levels BUT to compete in a strength event, having had the advantage of many years of testosterone levels that would have her fellow competitors banned is plain wrong and unfair on the rest of the field.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not with you on this one James. If it’s her natural testosterone level, she should be allowed to compete in any event. Maybe there should be a height limit for basketball players or a speed limit for sprinters. In each case it is the body’s natural attributes which has allowed them to develop.

I think it’s abhorrent to artificially alter someone’s natural growth attributes to make them conform. Taken to its limits would see everyone set the same time.

Until there is a third category that recognises, not discriminates, a different(natural) classification she should be afforded the right to compete.
I think Semenya should be able to compete, without having to change anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching BBC and can clearly see no rapport between Claire Balding and Alex Scott.

Cant stand Alex Scott !
I thought I was the only one based on other posts previously. The BBC have clearly earmarked Alex Scott but she is poor as a presenter, completely wooden. I end up muting the tv when she is on.

Claire Balding can do no wrong for me, one of the best and most professional sports presenters out there. The Olympics where she and Mark Foster covered the swimming was an absolute joy. If you can't dovetail with Claire then time to go.

I'm trying my hardest to soften with Sam Quek. Still wooden, not quite as wooden. Train the heck out of her and she may do okay in the end.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know you feel good about calling her “he” but you really shouldn’t.

By the way, I agree that she shouldn’t be allowed to compete in this event as her musculature and bone structure was formed when she was a man but I also recognise her right to be known as a woman.
Pretty much my opinion as well. By all means have a sex change and live your life as a woman, but I can't believe she's been allowed to compete at weightlifting of all things. As you say, there just HAS to be some skeletal and muscular advantages to being born male, even with the testosterone suppressants.

It will be very interesting to see how she does (if it hasn't happened yet, I don't know what time it was scheduled for). If she doesn't place in the medals then I'm sure the chat will all go away, whereas if she smashes it out the park for gold the controversary will be higher than ever.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought I was the only one based on other posts previously. The BBC have clearly earmarked Alex Scott but she is poor as a presenter, completely wooden. I end up muting the tv when she is on.

Claire Balding can do no wrong for me, one of the best and most professional sports presenters out there. The Olympics where she and Mark Foster covered the swimming was an absolute joy. If you can't dovetail with Claire then time to go.

I'm trying my hardest to soften with Sam Quek. Still wooden, not quite as wooden. Train the heck out of her and she may do okay in the end.

I dont know Sam Quek so can't comment but Alex Scott appears to be the "face of BBC sport" and is taking over everywhere. I see they've even dumped Sue Barker for her on Question of Sport and she's going to do Football Focus too, she is now on TV more than ever, and almost as irritating than Rio Ferdinand ??. At least Claire Balding understands the various sports she presents and it's clear to me Alex Scott doesn't, and all I see is Claire Balding looking at her with disdain when she is gabbling on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont know Sam Quek so can't comment but Alex Scott appears to be the "face of BBC sport" and is taking over everywhere. I see they've even dumped Sue Barker for her on Question of Sport and she's going to do Football Focus too, she is now on TV more than ever, and almost as irritating than Rio Ferdinand ??. At least Claire Balding understands the various sports she presents and it's clear to me Alex Scott doesn't, and all I see is Claire Balding looking at her with disdain when she is gabbling on.
Alex Scott didn't get Question of Sport in the end. It's Paddy McGuinness, bizarrely.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sam Quek does the early stint with Dan Walker.

Do you think BT might come in for Alex Scott? They like collecting awful pundits / presenters :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do GB have any medal prospects in the Track and Field. So out of touch with athletics that I am not sure if there any events this time to keep an eye on.

D

Deleted member 1147

Do GB have any medal prospects in the Track and Field. So out of touch with athletics that I am not sure if there any events this time to keep an eye on.
Asher-Smith would have been, but is injured.
Laura Muir in 1500 is a possible outsider
No others I can think of