Oldest age to turn professional

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
I was having a conversation with someone about turning professional in sport and how for some sports the cut off is very young (for example if you are not a professional footballer at say 21, you probably never will be) and how for some sports you can turn professional later in life.

It got me thinking, what do you think is the oldest someone can turn professional golfer?
Also can you think of any examples of golfers who have turned professional later in life?

By professional I am talking tour level, either European Tour or Challenge Tour, someone whose job it is to travel the world playing tournament golf.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm 38 and hoping to be a tour player by the and of the year need to work on my 24 hc first 😁
I don't think there is an age limit in golf as long as you can compete, your skills doesn't really diminish with age (tom Watson)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think a lot of it is to do with the competition in that sport.

Football is incredibly hard to ever play to a decent standard unless you have had a ball at your feet from before you could walk and played every day of your life. You are competing against billions of other people.

Now a niche sport...the competition is far far less, so you have a much better chance of getting to the current elite standard...especially sports that don't require elite genetics.

I don't know much about Curling, but this seems like a pretty niche sport, if you live next to a facility and dedicated a lot of hours to it...Maybe you could take the game up quite late in life and get to an elite standard.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think there are two scenarios in which that can happen:
a) you have been a very good amateur golfer for most of your life and played in high level competitions, just never had the means, time or desire to turn pro, because other things were more important, but now you feel like you can make it happen
b) you have been or worked towards becoming a professional athlete in another sport like hockey or football, but can't continue on that path due to an injury or the like

I don't think someone will pick up a golf club for the first time at the age of, let's say, 35 and become a playing pro later.

Also, I think it is more unlikely to happen today than it was maybe 50 years ago, because the game has become so much more athletic.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Assuming that that you have the genetics/physical qualities required to play to a professional standard then the only blocker would be mental. If you think you can and think you can't you are probably right (Henry Ford) but to play to that sort of standard would require an immense time investment and how many of us (say 40+) would be willing/able to pay the price to put in the sort of time and investment required to get to the standard required.

It would take one hell of a lifestyle adjustment and I know Mrs Jasonr would not be that keen for me to give up my job and go live in a caravan so that I can play golf every day.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a) you have been a very good amateur golfer for most of your life and played in high level competitions, just never had the means, time or desire to turn pro, because other things were more important, but now you feel like you can make it happen
b) you have been or worked towards becoming a professional athlete in another sport like hockey or football, but can't continue on that path due to an injury or the like

I don't think someone will pick up a golf club for the first time at the age of, let's say, 35 and become a playing pro later.

Also, I think it is more unlikely to happen today than it was maybe 50 years ago, because the game has become so much more athletic.

Agree although if you're a +4 or 5 handicap amateur approaching 50 there's nothing stopping you turning Pro and having a go on the Senior Tours.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site

You nailed it. Which also implies that the answer to the original question is "whatever the age, you need to start playing golf in your early teens". The only way to play to a +2/+3 handicap is to have played, a lot, whilst very young. If one maintains this level through his 30s/40s, then turning pro and making it even in the late 30s/40s is feasible, at least in theory.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You nailed it. Which also implies that the answer to the original question is "whatever the age, you need to start playing golf in your early teens". The only way to play to a +2/+3 handicap is to have played, a lot, whilst very young. If one maintains this level through his 30s/40s, then turning pro and making it even in the late 30s/40s is feasible, at least in theory.

I disagree that you need to start young. I think Starting young helps a lot, as it is clearly scientifically proven that learning and strength development is easier and faster at a young age. However, I believe adult learners can become just as good but don't because of the approach they take, primarily:

1. Most adults will want to primarily play at least socially or competitively rather than practice.
2. Most adults consider practice to be just bashing loads of balls on the range, or repeatedly hitting lots of short game shots or putts.
3. Most adults get caught up playing golf swing, rather than golf.
4. Most adults focus on technique, rather than developing their skills to control that technique.
5. Most adults are not in great physical condition for golf and have no interest in changing this.
6. Most adults are not strong but are relatively strong compared to a child. This means they can manipulate the club through bad positions and try to hit at the ball whereas most kids learn to swing a club that is generally heavy for them so they get used to swinging the heavy club so develop a fluid motion.

However to be fair adults often have other external disadvantages too, like having to work for a living, having other things to do like family life etc..

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Are you aware of the Dan Plan at all?

a bloke who never really played golf before decided at the age of 30 to quite his job and dedicate his life to becoming a pro golfer. With the thinking that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to master something.

Although he never succeeded as his back gave out some 6000 hours into his project he did manage to get down to a handicap of 2.6 at one point.

Of course natural talent is a huge bonus, but I suppose it's not impossible for someone who is naturally gifted to have the time to allow him to play and practice as much as he wants. But the chances of such a person are slim.

In reality I think you need to be playing as a young child. I think Faldo was 15 when he took up golf and that was seen as very late

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of it is to do with the competition in that sport.

Football is incredibly hard to ever play to a decent standard unless you have had a ball at your feet from before you could walk and played every day of your life. You are competing against billions of other people.

Now a niche sport...the competition is far far less, so you have a much better chance of getting to the current elite standard...especially sports that don't require elite genetics.

I don't know much about Curling, but this seems like a pretty niche sport, if you live next to a facility and dedicated a lot of hours to it...Maybe you could take the game up quite late in life and get to an elite standard.

Is curling even a professional sport?!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Although he never succeeded as his back gave out some 6000 hours into his project he did manage to get down to a handicap of 2.6 at one point.

Which is an amazing feat, no doubt, but it is miles away from the level of a playing pro.

Also, apart from playing ability, I think the tour life requires a lot of energy and stamina in it's own right. Not saying you can't do that once you are over a certain age, but I think it is a lot harder to get into the lifestyle. I know that things like jetlag, lack of sleep, foods I am not used to, rapid changes in climate etc. all affect me way more now than they did when I was in my twenties. And when you are competing at the maximum of your ability pretty much every week, then those factors matter.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site

a bloke who never really played golf before decided at the age of 30 to quite his job and dedicate his life to becoming a pro golfer. With the thinking that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to master something.

Of course natural talent is a huge bonus, but I suppose it's not impossible for someone who is naturally gifted to have the time to allow him to play and practice as much as he wants. But the chances of such a person are slim.

In reality I think you need to be playing as a young child. I think Faldo was 15 when he took up golf and that was seen as very late

I am aware of the Dan plan and the guy getting down to 2.6. While his achievements are respectable, is a loooooooong way from even being a lousy pro. To have a shot at being a Tour Pro, one needs to play at least off an hcp of +2/+3. That's the minimum required level. And there is absolutely no way to be that good if one doesn't play through his teenage years.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And there is absolutely no way to be that good if one doesn't play through his teenage years.

I think someone could absolutely get to +2/+3 starting golf in their 20's.... I also think that, depending on the courses that person plays... much different being a +2/+3 on a home course, than being comfortable being a +2/+3 travelling on most courses... Then much different again being good enough to earn a living playing golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said there have been a number of amateurs who have not turned pro until shortly before their 50th birthday and a quite a few club pros who never played on the tour until they reached 50.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
About four years ago I played quite a few times and became friends with a New Zealander who was a professional rugby union player, a fly half. A superb athlete, beautifully conditioned and who could effortlessly hit the ball a mile. Not only that his accuracy was there as well. He was in his early 30s and had decided that the time had come to give up rugby and his ambition was to turn to pro golf. He returned to NZ and we kept in touch. Despite real dedication and effort he didn't succeed.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
About four years ago I played quite a few times and became friends with a New Zealander who was a professional rugby union player, a fly half. A superb athlete, beautifully conditioned and who could effortlessly hit the ball a mile. Not only that his accuracy was there as well. He was in his early 30s and had decided that the time had come to give up rugby and his ambition was to turn to pro golf. He returned to NZ and we kept in touch. Despite real dedication and effort he didn't succeed.

Did he set himself a time limit? Seems a bit harsh to say he didn't succeed if it has only been a few years, he has another 15 or so left yet.

What strikes me here is saying he put in a lot of dedication and effort. Despite what people may be taught, the effort won't really help, unless it is applied in the correct way. Adding effort is like the person who puts in 12 hour days at the office, maybe it will get them ahead, but more likely it will just grind them down. Sometimes working hard is good, but usually working smarter is better.

The other interesting thing is that clearly, this guy is a gifted athlete, however, is he so used to a team sport, and just being told what to do by coaches that working as an individual is alien to him?

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site

Aware of this and I do wonder what handicap he may have got to if he had been able to do the other 4000 hours he was planning on.

A friend of mine was going to give the dan plan idea a go but apply it to darts 'His reasoning being that darts would be easier to master than golf and was something he could do whilst the kids were in bed and something he could easily afford financially'. Life got in the way and he didn't do it but it was an interesting idea.