% of NRs in a comp?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played in my 3rd ever comp yesterday. Was going along well until i had a disaster on one of our par 5s. Lost my first drive, then my 3rd (or, more accurately, 5th) shot disappeared into the trees. Spent a few minutes looking for it, but no luck. Gave up on the hole at that point as there was people waiting behind us, played the rest of the round with my mate, but didn't bother putting my card in as it was incomplete.

Anyway, got the text from HDID this morning saying I had come 46th. Logged on and saw that out of 64 competitors, no fewer than 21 had NR'd.

That struck me as a very high figure, particularly as it was a nice day with very little wind.

It is normal for a third of players to NR?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, but many courses will have huge growth this time of year and if it's not kept fully in check (many dont) you get lost balls and no returns.

Especially true of brambles, nettles and bracken in and around trees...

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No wouldn't say so, reckon its somewhere around 15% at our place, at least in my division. There aren't many places to lose balls though so that might be a big part of it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
why didn't you put your card in ???

TBH that should be a DQ for not returning a score and 0.1 anyway.

if you had just put NR on the hole you didn't finish and scores on the rest ( reduced to Double bogey)you could have still been cut

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No that's a pretty high number I think. Our place just had captain's day as the most recent example, there were 80-something entries and 11 of them were NR. So only around 13%.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
why didn't you put your card in ???

TBH that should be a DQ for not returning a score and 0.1 anyway.

if you had just put NR on the hole you didn't finish and scores on the rest ( reduced to Double bogey)you could have still been cut

didn't know that, have only just started playing in comp and not 100% clear on the etiquitte. my playing partner is in the same boat.

I did get a 0.1 for NRing according to HDID.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We must have the world record for the number of trees on a golf course.

Must be contending with ours, just happens that nothing grows under them so you find it everywhere. Hear horror stories from older members about how there used to be Rhododendrons everywhere making it essentially unplayable.

D

Deleted member 16999

didn't know that, have only just started playing in comp and not 100% clear on the etiquitte. my playing partner is in the same boat.

I did get a 0.1 for NRing according to HDID.
If you didn't put your card in and you got a .1 back that will be for not returning your card, not for NR'ing a hole, how would the system know you NR'd a hole if no score was entered, that could be the same for the high numbers of NR's

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We probably lose 5-10% to NR but we are quite an open course so losing balls is less likely apart from a few holes. I would suggest next time do as already has been mentioned, write NR on that hole but then continue playing the comp as though nothing has happened. Still sign the card, enter it on the computer. My club is starting to suspend players from the next comp if they simply rip up their card as it is happening too often with players throwing a hissy fit.

No issue with a NR based on the odd hole, I had a similar experience to you a few weeks back and NR a hole but I filled in the rest of the card. My h/c stayed the same. (I did not know how to fill in the card at the time, I ended up asking on here after the event, so put a line through it on the day. I'm wiser now)

I do find in golf that these types of things are rarely explained to golfers new to comps. People are expected to know things straight away that others have spent years learning. Lots of innocent mistakes made. A few guidelines to newbies would be very helpful, I'm sure some clubs do that already before someone chips in but lots do not.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you didn't put your card in and you got a .1 back that will be for not returning your card, not for NR'ing a hole, how would the system know you NR'd a hole if no score was entered, that could be the same for the high numbers of NR's
I think on Howdidido there's no distinction between the two. i.e. it just says NR on there for people who didn't hand their card in, as well as those who did hand it in but with an NR hole or two.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I do find in golf that these types of things are rarely explained to golfers new to comps. People are expected to know things straight away that others have spent years learning. Lots of innocent mistakes made. A few guidelines to newbies would be very helpful, I'm sure some clubs do that already before someone chips in but lots do not.

Agree with this, shouldn't be too hard to make a little 2 pager to put by the noticeboard. Ideally 1st item would be always hit a provisional if there is the faintest whiff it might be lost along with other pace related stuff. None of this "it bounced so it should be ok" nonsense (not that this is at all limited to those new to comps). Then pointers on how to fill out the card, where to submit it etc.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No issue with a NR based on the odd hole, I had a similar experience to you a few weeks back and NR a hole but I filled in the rest of the card. My h/c stayed the same. (I did not know how to fill in the card at the time, I ended up asking on here after the event, so put a line through it on the day. I'm wiser now)

I also had a similar last week playing a stroke play event - started off well, had a total mare on the 5th (5 off the tee and then lost another ball further down) but then played ok for the rest. Wasn't going to win the comp but when i looked at the score, would have had 37 points if it was stableford and got a small 0.3 cut - 1 hole doesn't have to kill the round

D

Deleted member 16999

I think on Howdidido there's no distinction between the two. i.e. it just says NR on there for people who didn't hand their card in, as well as those who did hand it in but with an NR hole or two.
There will be a difference as to how the system handles the cards entered with an NR on one or more holes and a card Not Returned

I was backing up Patricks point that he still could of buffered or been cut and his card plus the others could affect the CSS

Last edited by a moderator:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also had a similar last week playing a stroke play event - started off well, had a total mare on the 5th (5 off the tee and then lost another ball further down) but then played ok for the rest. Wasn't going to win the comp but when i looked at the score, would have had 37 points if it was stableford and got a small 0.3 cut - 1 hole doesn't have to kill the round

Same here, got cut after taking 9 on one hole in a medal :D

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The annoying thing is Beez, I would have won the medal if I had been able to no worse than double bogie the hole - you have to laugh, don't you

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with the comments about failing to return a card with just one Nr on it.

We often 'have a go' at players who do that our course.

I would say that about 10-15% is quite common in medal round where I play.