Odd Shouts On A Golf Course

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday at Lancaster golf course I was searching for my partner's ball when I heard a very loud buzzing noise. i turned to my right to see a huge swarm of bees. There were hundreds of them. They were heading straight towards a group on a green, so I shouted four. They didn't move so I shouted again very loudly FOUR....BEES!!!!!!!. All four turned to see the swarm just in time and ducked then had to lay flat to the ground to avoid them. After the swarm passed over they stood up and shouted their thanks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A new academy member I was out with fired a very stray shot towards another fairway and hollered very loudly BALL. Asking why he had so called he replied because that is what he had heard others call out. Yes…….🤔

I adjusted his understanding.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was playing with a long-hitting 6-or-so handicapper once, years ago. We were on a short par 4, about 280 yards and was just about driveable for him. He decided to tee off even though some fellers were putting out still, he said in the unlikely event he hits it perfectly he'd just shout fore. I was confused, but as it turns out, he did strike it perfectly and it was heading straight for the green, so he yelled out "FORE THE GREEN!" I've heard 'fore left' and 'fore right' but never heard 'fore the green' before, or since. :ROFLMAO: (In his defence, the ball only just about rolled onto the front or might have stayed just short, I can't quite remember now but I know the guys were not in any real danger, he was just making sure.)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our 7th hole runs alongside a bridle path..
Although it's the other side of the trees you can still hear the occasional "Fire on the Path"
Not that anyone on the path is likely to understand what's about to happen but at least you've done your bit....

D-S

Visit site
A new academy member I was out with fired a very stray shot towards another fairway and hollered very loudly BALL. Asking why he had so called he replied because that is what he had heard others call out. Yes…….🤔

I adjusted his understanding.
That's what they shout in France, or rather 'Balle!', always good to know what to shout or what is being shouted at you abroad. I assume it is 'Bola' in Spain.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what they shout in France, or rather 'Balle!', always good to know what to shout or what is being shouted at you abroad. I assume it is 'Bola' in Spain.
Well there you go…I never knew that - though his explanation was specifically - or so it seemed - what he’d heard from other members. Either way…he needed correcting for British ears.😊

D

Deleted member 18121

I was playing with a long-hitting 6-or-so handicapper once, years ago. We were on a short par 4, about 280 yards and was just about driveable for him. He decided to tee off even though some fellers were putting out still, he said in the unlikely event he hits it perfectly he'd just shout fore. I was confused, but as it turns out, he did strike it perfectly and it was heading straight for the green, so he yelled out "FORE THE GREEN!" I've heard 'fore left' and 'fore right' but never heard 'fore the green' before, or since. :ROFLMAO: (In his defence, the ball only just about rolled onto the front or might have stayed just short, I can't quite remember now but I know the guys were not in any real danger, he was just making sure.)

I've had similar a couple of times with a mate of mine that's a long hitter... Group ahead is 300+ yards away and he catches one.. followed by a shout of "fore up the middle".

It's a difficult situation as when courses are busy and others are catching you up, do you just make them wait or hit a long iron for speed of play.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday at Lancaster golf course I was searching for my partner's ball when I heard a very loud buzzing noise. i turned to my right to see a huge swarm of bees. There were hundreds of them. They were heading straight towards a group on a green, so I shouted four. They didn't move so I shouted again very loudly FOUR....BEES!!!!!!!. All four turned to see the swarm just in time and ducked then had to lay flat to the ground to avoid them. After the swarm passed over they stood up and shouted their thanks.
I know exactly what you mean.
Playing in a society a while ago I'd hit a poor drive, about 100yds.

My playing partners left me to it, no problem. All of a sudden I noticed a dark cloud, then the noise, I quickly realised what it was, a swarm of bees. I very quickly dropped down flat, the noise was deafening as they buzzed over me.

I got up, brushed myself down and my playing partners noticed as I got up and said, "You alright Chris".
Not having a clue at what I'd just experienced!
Bloody frightening!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing that makes me laugh the most is people not knowing their left from their right. We have one hole with a tee left and a tee right of the green (as well as one behind it) we often hear the wrong shout about direction.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing that makes me laugh the most is people not knowing their left from their right. We have one hole with a tee left and a tee right of the green (as well as one behind it) we often hear the wrong shout about direction.
I never take any notice of the left or right element. It can be left of the person taking the shot, on the right of the person in danger. Any shout will do, then take evasive action 👍

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've never shouted "left" or "right" merely one almighty "FORE".

Pretty well everyone on the course ducks. Playing partners get an old Flamborough Head experience.
They've thought about using me on the clubhouse roof for a shotgun start.
Brian Blessed was my hero.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in the Tassie, at Carnoustie last month, on the Buddon and was on the par 3 4th putting when cyclists shouted across " Bird on your bag " Crows have a habit of trying to steal food etc

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Well there you go…I never knew that - though his explanation was specifically - or so it seemed - what he’d heard from other members. Either way…he needed correcting for British ears.😊
To be fair to him if he's come from other sports then "Ball!" Is quite commonly used across other sports in the event of a wayward ball heading towards a group.

Indeed it was the only word I could get out as I smashed a cover drive straight into my mates temple as a 13 year old and he was doing some catching practice with another group.