Northumberland Golf Course

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I should have done this much sooner, but have finally found 10 minutes to get it done.

Over the summer, I was very fortunate to be invited to play a round at Northumberland Golf Club with a mate. He and his pal were in the monthly medal, so it was off back tees for me! They play off of +3 and scratch - so I was in fair company! A fortnight or so before I played it, the course had been an Open Championship qualifying venue.

Thankfully, the weather you guys had in summer was pleasant enough to still allow a fair roll out from well hit tee shots..... if only mine weren't rolling sideways into the rough haha!

My mate had managed to source me some clubs, a set of Nike Pro-Combo irons 3-PW with S300 shafts - beautiful. A Titleist driver (I believe a 910 D2) and a Callaway 3 wood that I only pulled out of the bag twice (duck hook x2). Vokey and Cleveland Wedges and an Odyssey 2-ball putter. I was well armed, and ready to take on the course.

Practise area looked great. I managed to shank/duff/nob/thin/top/shank/miss and shank some balls in the practise net, and it's safe to say I was shaking like a dog doing it's business on the first tee. The other two had taken the 'Tiger Line' over the trees towards the green, and were both confident that they were there or thereabouts with the shots they had played.

From their practise swings, it was clear they were playing a different game to me. This was golf, real golf. My golf was more like a plastic putter and wind-ball from Woolworths in comparison. I was surprised how nervous I was, even though I was just having a casual morning knock; I reckon I was a bit anxious about nobbing my way round and holding them up more than anything.

http://www.thengc.co.uk/pages/the-course.php/

From the link above, you can see aerial views of each hole.

From the first tee, the hole falls away in front of you, dog-legging to the right. I decided to just aim for the corner, and if it sliced, i'd not be too far away. I remembered to keep my head down, and somehow managed to find the centre of the club face - hit what I would call an absolute peach over the trees. It left me about 75 yards to the green. A slightly thinned pitch, a dodgy chip and a two-putt later, I walked off with a bogey.

I had been told that the greens were quick and a few weeks previously, had been running a foot faster than the greens at the US Open. Lightning, like putting on glass. I was fully expecting a nightmare, but was pleasantly surprised at how well I putted on that first green, given the difference in speed to the ones I play on every week.

The putting nightmare wasn't too far away though, as I managed to 3 putt after a birdie attempt from 8 foot on the second....

The course is contained for the most part, within Newcastle Race Course and you find yourself hitting parralel to, and sometimes over, the race course itself. It's class, I love the way it looks. It gives the feeling that some holes are wide open, although once you see the white barrier, you know that it's not.

I did my part for the high handicappers, and managed to spray a handful of balls into race course territory, no worries there! Haha! The rough is very penal in parts, between knee and waist height. If you are lucky enough to find your ball, trying to it out can lead to some comedy shots. I played a few!

I found the lenght of the par 3's very intimidating, especially with foreign irons in my hand. The 14th was beautiful, hitting over the race course to a well protected green. This shot favours a draw, definitely. Trying everything not to slice the 7 iron in my hand, I managed to hook one wide of the left hand bunker. I had to hole a 10 footer for a double bogey... shocking.

My favourite hole was probably the 18th, and in no way due to the fact it was the only hole I managed a par on.... From an elevated tee, you hit down to the fairway parralel to the 1st, and then it's a short iron up onto the green. I slapped a 9 iron to the front of the green, and had a fortunate two putts for par. I was quite pleased, as a few regulars were enjoying a post round beer on the patio outside the bar. I almost looked like a golfer walking off, until the "So that was your first par of the day??" comment was dropped!

All in all, a fantastic day out, and I can't wait to play the course again soon, hopefully i'll be able to score much better, with a bit more care on the greens and a more thoughtful approach to each hole - rather than just lashing at it in the hope it goes straight. it was a great experience playing with such talented golfers too, as they plotted their way around each hole. Seeing the lads hit their irons really was a thing of beauty - pinched off the turf, and sent soaring.

I'm not sure if any members of the place post here, but you're very fortunate to have such a challenge every week!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never played, although it's very local to me, but have heard nothing but positive comments about the course this year, especially the greens
Curious as to who the +3 golfer was that u played with, as although there's some decent golfers play at the club (including county captain) I wasn't aware there was anybody that low as a member there.......??

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry Moogie, I had to check my digits there as I must've misheard when I was told! It's the county captain I played with mate, off +1.

Either way, different game to the golf I'm used to seeing and partaking in week in week out haha, complete education!

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He's quality mate, County & Club Champion fair play!

The greens were class mate, going back to your previous comment. It was almost 'links' style for the most part as there was very little definition between fringe and green. I'm hoping it'll be a little different in Mid-October, a slightly slower green would help me, no doubt about that!

Might even manage to hold a couple with some thinned iron approaches, who knows! Haha!