North London Golf Courses

doubleeagle

Visit site
Hi All,

Due to work I'm moving to London shortly, one of the worst parts of the move is that I'll be leaving my home club here in ireland which i'm quite settled in and moving on.

I play off single figures and am quite keen to join a course were its easy to get out and play a few holes in the (spring/summer) evenings and able to get on the time sheet without fuss on weekends.

Im hoping to join a club in North London, here are the clubs i've put on a short list;

South Herts GC
Finchely GC
Dryham GC (although expensive)
West Essex GC

My main question is how do people rate the above courses?? And is there any other clubs in the area that I could consider taking a look at also? I really want to do proper research into this as I want to join a good club.

Unlike Ireland a lot of these clubs offer concessions to under 30 year olds which works out great being under the age.

Also being totally new to the area how long would it take to drive from Seven Sisters to South Herts gc for example, on google maps it says 22minutes but in traffic would that turn into a 45 minute drive?

Many Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 1418

One bit of advice is don't go and live in Seven Sisters!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been a while since I was in that neck of the woods but going back a few years Id have South Herts and Dyrham Park way above Finchley and West Essex, as for which of those two, probably Dyrham would be my preference but wouldnt be unhappy to be a member at either, certainly like to have those options here

doubleeagle

Visit site
Been a while since I was in that neck of the woods but going back a few years Id have South Herts and Dyrham Park way above Finchley and West Essex, as for which of those two, probably Dyrham would be my preference but wouldnt be unhappy to be a member at either, certainly like to have those options here

Thanks a mil for that, moving to london and the last thing I want to do is give up golf! Going from their websites Dyrham and South Herts both look very nice, better than the other two if thats anything to go by.

In comparsion to irish memberships (dublin based) their actual not a bad price, which might be a suprise to some on here. Although I'm not sure of the price of Dyrham, it doesnt say on their website.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They used to use South Herts for regional qualifiers for the Open, always had the best greens in the area (5 yrs or so ago) and is a decent test. Id expect Dyrham Park is the dearer of the two, though probably less of a members club (Ill try and ask my dad later as he will have played matches against both this year and has friends at S Herts).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you can get there I wouldn't over look Stanmore or Sudbury. Not amazing, but not bad by any means.

Oh, and forget driving in North London. Not going to happen.

doubleeagle

Visit site
Oh, and forget driving in North London. Not going to happen.

You serious? Dont tell me its that bad, its not great in Dublin but you can still get about in the evenings, away from rush hour times. So would the tube generally work out best?

doubleeagle

Visit site
Just wondering does anyone have any more info on the above courses?

Also I looked at Hadley Wood, seems like a quality course too....

sidneyb

Visit site
Alright gents - first post on here.

I'm duty bound to recommend my club, The Shire London in Barnet. Very friendly, not stuffy at all and for a new course the conditioning of the course is really good.

One of the very few downsides being the par 3 first which requires a nice hit to an island green - bit of a nerve jangler for the first shot of the day when all the members are queing up to tee off!

doubleeagle

Visit site
Alright gents - first post on here.

I'm duty bound to recommend my club, The Shire London in Barnet. Very friendly, not stuffy at all and for a new course the conditioning of the course is really good.

One of the very few downsides being the par 3 first which requires a nice hit to an island green - bit of a nerve jangler for the first shot of the day when all the members are queing up to tee off!

I would look at it in another light, par the first and your off to a flyer! Although its another story when your standing on the 1st tee!

How much are the fee's in The Shire?? When I called no one answered and they aren't on the website.

sidneyb

Visit site
I believe it's around £30 weekday £45 weekend but I know there are some really good winter fourball deals where you get some food thrown in.

My subs are around £1200 for the year.

Did I mention that water features prominently on 12 holes?! If the weather is like last year though that's fine as there's lots of new creative shots to manufacture off the ice!