Non Qualifiers

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Little advice please.

Does anyone play at a club that has a qualifying / non-qualifying season as such?

We run qualifiers year round, but was discussing with a committee member as most go to non qualifiers through temp greens, he would like to have more social events through the winter.

However he believes the county insist on a medal each month. If you do have a season at your club do you still have events if so what kind?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Once our qualifiers finish in late Oct we then have a run of Xmas comps which are pairs, lots of different formats then after Xmas not a lot on so pro runs a pro shop comp, pairs again .

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
However he believes the county insist on a medal each month. If you do have a season at your club do you still have events if so what kind?

First time I've ever heard that a county have insisted on a medal each month, in fact why do they think that they can dictate what comps a club plays. Not the case with any county I have dealt with.

All they should be insisting is that you play your qualifiers under the rules and guidance set out by CONGU.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
obviously I'm in Scotland so may be different. But none of the clubs up here (North District) run qual comps between Oct and March/April. We have nothing except a few fun things over the Christmas/New Year.

D

Deleted member 16999

We finish qualifiers last weekend of Oct and start them again the first weekend the following April.
All comps are then non-qualifiers, mix of single and 4BBB Comps, winners deducted 15% of Handicap, Runners-Up 10%, official handicaps reinstated for first comp in April.

DCB

Visit site
obviously I'm in Scotland so may be different. But none of the clubs up here (North District) run qual comps between Oct and March/April. We have nothing except a few fun things over the Christmas/New Year.

The same in sunny Edinburgh :)

Clubs down the coast may well play qualifiers, but, inland parkland courses will have suffered badly over the past week of freezing temps. Some will be closed this weekend as a result I'm sure.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Providing the clubs run sufficient qualifiers so that members have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of QualifyingCompetitions in a calendar year there is no specific requirement to run them through the winter.
Many clubs will have decided that winter weather and course conditions would not allow players to return scores reflecting their ability or cause players not to enter.
CONGU recognises this by permitting preferred lies and fairway mats. But there is no 'must' do.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time I've ever heard that a county have insisted on a medal each month, in fact why do they think that they can dictate what comps a club plays. Not the case with any county I have dealt with.

All they should be insisting is that you play your qualifiers under the rules and guidance set out by CONGU.

I know sounds odd to me, however I do remember a while ago turning up for a stableford and it had been amended to a medal because the course had been closed when we should've played the medal. When I questioned it I was told there had to be a medal every month, i did not ask who said.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We run qualifiers throughout the year, every fortnight, alternating between Medal and Stableford. The only difference in the winter is the medal comps are replaced with Stableford, so we have two Stableford qualifiers a month. Not sure where the myth that you have to have a Medal qualifier every month comes from.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our comps are qualifiers all the while we play on a full course. Once the 9th goes to a temp its non quali as the course becomes too short, the 9th being the wettest part of the course and always the first green to be closed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our comps are qualifiers all the while we play on a full course. Once the 9th goes to a temp its non quali as the course becomes too short, the 9th being the wettest part of the course and always the first green to be closed.
How much shorter? It depends on the reduction as to whether it should be a non qualifier.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of our comps are qualifiers throughout the whole year unless we do not meet qualifying comp requirements e.g. Too many temp greens.

We have a measured course certificate for our temp tees so we continue even when we go to these.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We only have non qual because of large hole but please can we not start on that......

With Scotland does lack of light mean you have the non qualifiers and 4BBB games more?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We stop qualifiers at the end of October and play mostly pairs / team comps through until March.

Not universally popular and being a resort style operation the management are not keen to have periods when the course is deemed not good enough for qualifiers.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Same here. I thought the above was pretty much standard. Never heard of a qualifier through the winter

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes. I have played for the last few years, 50mph winds a couple of years ago.

The comp has been running for a very long time I believe.

Hogmanay is not what it used to be!

we have a fun comp on new years day .. i don't know anyone that plays in it or would be sober enough to play let alone drive to the course.... i doubt i will be able to do that till the 2nd or 3rd:rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

The county has no right to tell you that you must play a medal a month or even any medal

As long as the club provides another qualifying competitions for the members to keep their HC active then that’s it - they can all be Stableford comps if you do wish.