Non Qualifiers

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In Nov when the fairways become difficult to define our Parkland course goes to Non-Q Comps & 'Exceptional Winter Rules' ie. Pick-n-place on short mown & clean & drop from knee height in the rough. We also utilise Winter H/caps which are adjusted using CONGU rules.... unfortunately playing too many singles in my view.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no problem with that, my only issue is in the different advice I appear to get from my county advisor and E.G. and the advice you are able to give. I'm not suggesting either is wrong but it's not very consistent.
It may be something to do with exactly how the question or discussion is worded and exactly how the response is worded.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much shorter? It depends on the reduction as to whether it should be a non qualifier.

A good 100yds, maybe more. Its a shame as it turns a good risk/reward par 5 into a short by par 4 standards hole, but thats what you've got to expect if you want a good putting surface in the summer

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good 100yds, maybe more. Its a shame as it turns a good risk/reward par 5 into a short by par 4 standards hole, but thats what you've got to expect if you want a good putting surface in the summer
If its over 100 yards the SSS must be reduced by 1

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no 'it is' about it.
The committee has designated them not to be. That is their prerogative. As I have said twice now, there is no compulsion from CONGU to make every conforming competition a qualifier. The regulation makes that clear.

Surely that is at odds with:

17.3/1 Adjustment of Handicaps in Non-Qualifying Competitions
Q. The Handicap Committee in our club has taken the decision to make competitions Non
Qualifying for the duration of the preferred lie period. Resulting from this decision a number of
competitors who played below the course SSS in such competitions are seeking a reduction in
their Exact Handicap. Is this permitted?
A. It is a fundamental tenet of the UHS that handicap adjustments can only be applied in Qualifying
Competitions when handicaps are adjusted, upwards and downwards as appropriate, in relation
to the CSS. To create a situation where handicaps can only be reduced, would distort the
balance on which the system is based. To reduce the handicaps of those players scoring below
the SSS in Non-Qualifying Competitions is considered to be an unacceptable abuse of the
system. To permit the UHS to operate as intended, all competitions should be run, whenever
possible, as Qualifying Competitions
. A number of dispensations for winter play have been
granted by CONGU® to encourage this, including preferred lies and use of artificial mats.

I know it says "should".