Non Qualifiers

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Rulefan and Liverpoolphil have posted; there is no requirement to run any medal competitions in a year whatsoever (you are handicapped to stableford anyway) but a club should aim to provide a realistic number of Q competitions though the year consistent with the conditions and resources available.
It's probably also relevant to highlight that clubs should run competitions as Q if they can ie the default position should be that it's a Q comp unless there are unavoidable reasons why it can't be.
I have a lot of sympathy with those committees that err strongly on the side of the principle that Q comp conditions should always ensure that results reflect true handicaps; but there's no doubt that some are a little unrealistic in only wanting to run Q comps in almost perfect golfing conditions!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Rulefan and Liverpoolphil have posted; there is no requirement to run any medal competitions in a year whatsoever (you are handicapped to stableford anyway) but a club should aim to provide a realistic number of Q competitions though the year consistent with the conditions and resources available.
It's probably also relevant to highlight that clubs should run competitions as Q if they can ie the default position should be that it's a Q comp unless there are unavoidable reasons why it can't be.
I have a lot of sympathy with those committees that err strongly on the side of the principle that Q comp conditions should always ensure that results reflect true handicaps; but there's no doubt that some are a little unrealistic in only wanting to run Q comps in almost perfect golfing conditions!

I have to agree completely with this.

It is really quite interesting to see the numbers fall off and a good number of drop outs when it is a little inclement.

Trouble is, our club suffers really badly when there is any frost. The course is naturally quite wet leading the the greens freezing easily then we are on temps and non-qualifiers. I really struggle to understand the 'Must have a medal' point.

The point we were making today was the lack of social activity at the club and we were discussing events to try to improve this especially through the winter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to agree completely with this.

It is really quite interesting to see the numbers fall off and a good number of drop outs when it is a little inclement.

Trouble is, our club suffers really badly when there is any frost. The course is naturally quite wet leading the the greens freezing easily then we are on temps and non-qualifiers. I really struggle to understand the 'Must have a medal' point.

The point we were making today was the lack of social activity at the club and we were discussing events to try to improve this especially through the winter.
We have just introduced a winter order of merit played as non qs (regardless of conditions as long as the course is open) but handicaps are adjusted as per CONGU). When it finishes, all handicaps revert to original CONGU handicap).
It is proving very popular

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have just introduced a winter order of merit played as non qs (regardless of conditions as long as the course is open) but handicaps are adjusted as per CONGU). When it finishes, all handicaps revert to original CONGU handicap).

So if someone plays brilliantly over the winter and makes significant improvement to their handicap it is wiped out in March?

That doesn't sound right to me.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why are they non qualifiers? choice or forced

Ours are because of the non regulation holes

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why are they non qualifiers? choice or forced

Ours are because of the non regulation holes
Mixture of on the day conditions. Too many temps, too many bunkers out of play, differently mixed tees from week to week, all 18 holes not in use.
Historical lack of interest in playing qualifiers in winter. Hardy souls simply playing their own better balls.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

So you are saying that due to course adjustments and conditions you are not playing of the measured course?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
If your fortunate enough to able to play a full course in winter, it should be qualifiers IMO.

Best to ask the membership and put to a vote what kind of competitions they’d like throughout the year.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our medals are strokeplay and through the year, the last weekend of each month. We also have various comps many of which are qualifiers (stroke or stableford) but they are mainly in the "normal playing season". We also have many non-qualifiers through the year, but a larger number in the winter months

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your fortunate enough to able to play a full course in winter, it should be qualifiers IMO.

CONGU have a slightly different view.
Providing the clubs run sufficient qualifiers so that members have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year there is no specific requirement to run them through the winter.
Without checking the fixture diary, I guess we run 40/50+ a year plus 9 hole qualifiers we don't have in the diary.

Best to ask the membership and put to a vote what kind of competitions they’d like throughout the year.
That's exactly what we did.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Little confused. Surely the times that you play of the normal measured course in the winter providing conditions allow then it's a qualifier unless your playing BB or fun comps with fun rules thrown in.
There is no 'it is' about it.
The committee has designated them not to be. That is their prerogative. As I have said twice now, there is no compulsion from CONGU to make every conforming competition a qualifier. The regulation makes that clear.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no 'it is' about it.
The committee has designated them not to be. That is their prerogative. As I have said twice now, there is no compulsion from CONGU to make every conforming competition a qualifier. The regulation makes that clear.
My understanding, and looking at DMs post his to, the default position of any comp played of a full handicap on a measured course should whenever possible be a qualifier. This has also been the advice I have received from county and E.G. in the past.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding, and looking at DMs post his to, the default position of any comp played of a full handicap on a measured course should whenever possible be a qualifier. This has also been the advice I have received from county and E.G. in the past.
The book says: A Member must have the opportunity to compete in a reasonable number of Qualifying Competitions in a calendar year and to submit Qualifying Scores in accordance with Clause 21.

Subject to the above, as the County Handicap Adviser, I have had it confirmed many times by EG, that clubs have the right to deem competitions as non qualifiers, those which might technically satisfy the rules but because of conditions and circumstances, are felt not to be appropriate.
Remember, a very high proportion of CONGU affiliated clubs are in the north and western parts of the UK & Ireland on typical parkland ground.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remember, a very high proportion of CONGU affiliated clubs are in the north and western parts of the UK & Ireland on typical parkland ground.

I have no problem with that, my only issue is in the different advice I appear to get from my county advisor and E.G. and the advice you are able to give. I'm not suggesting either is wrong but it's not very consistent.