No more Winter Rules.....

RichA

Visit site
As they say in the sport. Rub of the green

I can remember once over the last year were someone has gone into a old divot
Yep. Don't expect much agreement but I'd happily see PL ditched in winter, never mind allowing discretion all year round. So many people faff about marking, picking, wiping and placing because they can, rather than because it's actually necessary.
As for divot replacement, around us there are so many rooks turning them over, even when they're really stamped down, that it's difficult to appoint blame to any particular group of humans that use the course.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yep. Don't expect much agreement but I'd happily see PL ditched in winter, never mind allowing discretion all year round. So many people faff about marking, picking, wiping and placing because they can, rather than because it's actually necessary.
As for divots, around us there are so many rooks turning them over, even when they're really stamped down, that it's difficult to appoint blame at any particular group of humans that use the course.

PL will imo always be dependant on the course you play - links then it’s rare to be needed but then most go onto mats , Heathland will depend on the the severity of the weather but a parkland will most of the time suffer with the winter weather and PL is a sensible option

I hope the new rule isn’t abused by clubs and is really only used when it’s deemed necessary

Whilst this summer has been wet imo it’s only been the last week where it’s needed - before it’s been fine for the main

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely members are to blame and have a longer term investment so should be doing their utmost to keep the course in order but I still argue a lot of socieities are culpable especially given the evidence I saw for myself as above

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As for divot replacement, around us there are so many rooks turning them over, even when they're really stamped down, that it's difficult to appoint blame to any particular group of humans that use the course.
Most of the time I only use it when I'm hitting a fairway wood so I can perch it up on a nice tuft of grass. 😁

RichA

Visit site
The courses around me in east Herts are mostly parkland on heavy clay. I actually feel I'm more likely to get an unforgiving lie in the summer, when the ground is baked like concrete and the grass is a bit thin. I don't love playing in the rain and cold but the fairways actually play a little easier for me in winter.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite keen on play as it lies as a general principal. Obviously some course conditions render alterations necessary but if it was done regularly I'm sure golf would slow up further.

Half the course would be copying the pros and carefully look for a nearby tuft to place their ball
If my ball goes into a divot it's my own fault for hitting it there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite keen on play as it lies as a general principal. Obviously some course conditions render alterations necessary but if it was done regularly I'm sure golf would slow up further.

Half the course would be copying the pros and carefully look for a nearby tuft to place their ball
If my ball goes into a divot it's my own fault for hitting it there.
You must have astonishing eyesight if you can see divots down a fairway, over a hill, hump, or around a corner. If you hit a shot down the middle of the fairway, should you really be punished? I get the 'play it as it lies' concept but I think stating it is your own fault if it is in a divot is stretching it a bit too far.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You must have astonishing eyesight if you can see divots down a fairway, over a hill, hump, or around a corner. If you hit a shot down the middle of the fairway, should you really be punished? I get the 'play it as it lies' concept but I think stating it is your own fault if it is in a divot is stretching it a bit too far.
Well it's me that hit it there and there are common places for divots to exist.
But I was really speaking metaphorically and it's no more unlucky than a great drive down the middle that cannons off a small lump into the rough which happens at least as frequently on links courses.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well it's me that hit it there and there are common places for divots to exist.
But I was really speaking metaphorically and it's no more unlucky than a great drive down the middle that cannons off a small lump into the rough which happens at least as frequently on links courses.
Rub of the green - always been a key thing within the sport

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely. As per my example, two drives 250 yards in middle of fairway, one in a deep divot the other not. How is that fair? If its rub of green, play off paths and other areas where relief is currently given. That would be a rub of the green trying to hack it off a cart path

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

It’s just part of the game - you could hit a great drive that hits a sprinkler or a yardage marker or gets an awful bounce into a bunker etc - always that element of chance

It is very rare that someone lands in a divot that extreme that it causes issues

Springveldt

Visit site
Should just be preferred lies all year round for amateur golf anyway. Would solve the issue of having to play out of a divot, plus weather is trash all year round now anyway. We play for fun anyway so what's the harm?

bait.gif

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not following. I thought yesterdays announcement meant clubs couldn't do this anymore?
The opposite. They can do it any time they like now. In the past it was only within a certain period, otherwise they had to ask for permission. Now, there is no need to ask for permission, it is up to each individual club.

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm not following. I thought yesterdays announcement meant clubs couldn't do this anymore?
Looks like it but I got the email 2 days ago, before this new announcement. Not sure if the club are going to change it or if they are just going to leave it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The opposite. They can do it any time they like now. In the past it was only within a certain period, otherwise they had to ask for permission. Now, there is no need to ask for permission, it is up to each individual club.

That's not how I read it. They have removed the ability for any club to put a semi-permanent PL for 6 or 7 months and instead clubs can use PL on any date but must remove it when its not needed

"Golf clubs can utilise Model Local Rules throughout the year, but ONLY when it absolutely necessary to do so. Any Model Local Rules MUST be removed as soon as practicably possible."