Nil Returns and WHS

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We really need to have a specific acronym for types of NRs, simply to determine what kind of NR it actually was " no card returned " or "no score returned.
NCR or NSR seems simple enough :geek:o_O
What about the variants of NSR -
Hole not started HNS.
Hole not finished HNF.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Obviously committees need to understand the nuances of the new rules/guidance (the latter having more discretion) but there seems to me we may be over-egging the paranoia re players manipulating their handicaps. There are one or two exceptions, but 99%+ of players stand on the first tee hoping to have a good round. WHS recognises that and so did the old system, but precious few understood it. I doubt the majority of handicap secretaries are as yet up to speed on all the nuances of WHS and 99%+ of players don't have a frigging clue. Most of our members are still struggling to understand the process of converting their HI into their playing handicap.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Obviously committees need to understand the nuances of the new rules/guidance (the latter having more discretion) but there seems to me we may be over-egging the paranoia re players manipulating their handicaps. There are one or two exceptions, but 99%+ of players stand on the first tee hoping to have a good round. WHS recognises that and so did the old system, but precious few understood it. I doubt the majority of handicap secretaries are as yet up to speed on all the nuances of WHS and 99%+ of players don't have a frigging clue. Most of our members are still struggling to understand the process of converting their HI into their playing handicap.
I think you are right. However, in the same way most (if not all) members understand they need to return a card in a competition which is correctly completed with the minimum requirements to protect the integrity of the competition. The need to return a score is in the same ballpark and members will get used to this - hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm more in the C*** up vs Conspiracy camp that believes most reasonable people try to do the right thing. We all have a bad day / round, but the disciplin of WHS just requires you to keep going for handicap purposes rather than pack in when disaster strikes. Not a major issue and I hope Committees will handle it in a positive way to help people understand that the integrity of the system is worth the effort.