New Top 100 Rankings

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You've probably heard it lots of times, it's a FACT (y)

You're welcome
I just find it extremely strange how the Old Course is so highly ranked in ALL major golf course rating lists?

I am going to side with the experts on this one chief as I happen to agree with them that it is indeed a magnificent course.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes very much so. For example a list of trains stations ordered by footfall is a factual list.
The top 100 golf courses as decided by
Golf monthly, golf magic, today's golfer , golf digest , golf wrx etc etc etc is made up
All golf lists are opinions, but those giving the opinions have played a huge number of courses, and I would take more notice of this collective, than one forumer who may have only played a few of the courses.

Makes for good debates, and a shame that some seem to want to be totally negative and use it as an excuse to regurgitate their opinions about certain courses, even if under a new forum name.:eek:

D

Deleted member 21258

Its a shame these discussions turn into someone derailing the thread, as I think it is interesting to hear peoples thoughts on certain courses and the proper reasons why they believe X, rather than just sweeping statements.

Shame:(

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you think hole crossovers, being able to play rubbish and play from a different fairway and lots of short playing holes, conditioning certainly not up there with the best, makes for a top ten course in the world ? I personally think no way

Grant85 I think has hit the nail on the head, TOC is very desired.

Anyway all the best:coffee:

Yep I think it’s more than just the location

I can how some will thing some holes are the same - like the first and 18 but for me they are different quality holes in their own right , yes you can be a wild of the tee and still have shots into the green but not as much as suggested. The times I have been there it’s been immaculate, the bunkers are superbly placed and immense , greens are just brilliant and full of subtle breaks. Just 18 great holes for me.

D

Deleted member 1147

Its a shame these discussions turn into someone derailing the thread, as I think it is interesting to hear peoples thoughts on certain courses and the proper reasons why they believe X, rather than just sweeping statements.

Agreed, for example I'd like to know why the Brabazon is in the top 100 when so many people don't seem to like it?
Is it just conditioning, which has always been excellent whenever I've played it? Is it history (Ryder Cups) or design (which many people seem to think is flawed, save for 2 or 3 holes)?

D

Deleted member 15344

Agreed, for example I'd like to know why the Brabazon is in the top 100 when so many people don't seem to like it?
Is it just conditioning, which has always been excellent whenever I've played it? Is it history (Ryder Cups) or design (which many people seem to think is flawed, save for 2 or 3 holes)?
For me it’s in there because of the Ryder Cup and those two holes - take that away and it’s not a stand out course, I think that impact will start to lessen over the years

D

Deleted member 15344

The Top 100 thread is one I normally look forward to because we have lots of different members who have played lots of the courses and some see the courses from different angles and it’s usually one of the best threads of the year - but it’s a shame that the returning poster is attempting to derail it with age old Old Course stuff that he has posted before

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For me it’s in there because of the Ryder Cup and those two holes - take that away and it’s not a stand out course, I think that impact will start to lessen over the years

When I first played the Brabazon I thought it was a superb course. It’s still decent, but having played a whopping 7 of the top 100 now. It for me is certainly the weakest of those that I’ve played.

I think it’s prestige is raised by its history. That for me is reason enough for it to be in a “100 courses to play” list. I’ve not played enough of the rest on the list to compare, but atm I still think there are more than 2 good holes, and as has been mentioned, it’s always in superb condition.

On a side note, if it wasn’t for this place (the forum) I’d never get have been on anymore of the top 100. Hopefully I’ll add to that if we stop play the same paces every year.....;):LOL::LOL:

D

Deleted member 1147

On a side note, if it wasn’t for this place (the forum) I’d never get have been on anymore of the top 100. Hopefully I’ll add to that if we stop play the same paces every year.....;):LOL::LOL:

Same here, I'd barely heard of any of them (save for Open rota, Sunnigdale etc from the TV) before coming on here. Now I'm playing them :cool:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bloody hell Dave. You're not driving and posting are you? That's barely English!!!

FWIW, If this guy wants to play you for money on any of the Top 100 courses, then run.. Run fast... ;-)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Bloody hell Dave. You're not driving and posting are you? That's barely English!!!

FWIW, If this guy wants to play you for money on any of the Top 100 courses, then run.. Run fast... ;-)

Fat fingers mate!

Plenty have taken the money off me though, was about time I had my one good round. Must have been the company. That or Birchy cursing you on the 10th.......