New Top 100 Rankings

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As with every year it's great to see how this thread divides opinion. Always good to see debate and how contentious these courses and their positions are. Can't understand how the Brabazon can still be there. As for the Old Course, it's iconic. The back drop to the first hole, with the hustle of the town going on behind, the history and the challenge of the holes, especially the last two. That walk over Swilken Bridge. The layout and cross overs and double greens may be outdated but it's used every inch of available land.

Great to see the likes of West Hill and others we've played on H4H days doing well. Can't wait to see where we end up in 2019

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brabazon from the whites and further back has some great holes and is always good condition.

Don’t understand how Sunningdale Old is so high up as it’s really just a pitch and putt (especially with a 210 yard 5 iron).

The Old Course, however, is simply the best. Factually correct opinion (as usual).

D

Deleted member 15344

That explains a lot, I did wonder as to why Loch Lomond wasn't on the list but I guess the GM Panel were denied access to the course

Any club that doesn’t allow visitors doesn’t get including

Same with - Bearwood Lakes , Beaverbrook , Wisely , Centurion , Queenwood and any other club where you can’t book at tee time without being with a member

D

Deleted member 1147

That explains a lot, I did wonder as to why Loch Lomond wasn't on the list but I guess the GM Panel were denied access to the course
No courses on which the general public cannot play get on the list.
Hence no Wentworth West, Bearwood Lakes, Renaissance or Loch Lomand

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't get why St Andrews old course, has gone up and is now number 2 tbh.

Don't dispute that as an experience, it is top 3 and is a must play but as a course, test/design, challenge, visual appeal and conditioning and crossovers, some really poor holes in my eyes, just cant see why it is top 2, when compared to the other courses I have played on the list. But aren't opinions great.

True, one man’s wine is another man’s poison. For me, The Old Course at St Andrews is the best course I’ve played in nearly 40 years of golfing. So many different ways to play every hole, it’s utterly unique and I loved it.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
if you think so, all I'm doing is showing up that it's all subjective, if I say something is based on my opinion doesn't mean I'm right does it ? No of course it doesn't so by that token, any top 100 devised by anyone doesn't mean they are right.

Whilst there is an element of subjectivity to it, the rankings are devised by people who have experience playing a lot of these courses, with criteria that are consistent throughout. Their scores for each of these are averaged to find a position where they place in a rankings list.

If you have other ideas on how this could/would/should be devised then fire away (but please not on here, save it for the unfortunate people who land in the back of your cab)

True subjectivity would be something like my opinion that you were rejected a lot by the opposite sex in your younger years, even though I (thankfully) don't know you. FACT 👍🏻

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you think so, all I'm doing is showing up that it's all subjective, if I say something is based on my opinion doesn't mean I'm right does it ? No of course it doesn't so by that token, any top 100 devised by anyone doesn't mean they are right.

You say anyONE, but its not based on an individual, its based on a collective.

I totally agree, its subjective, but then why say that your OPINION (which is subjective) is a fact?

The GM top 100, which is subjective, but is also done by many reviewers and over a 2 year period, and is on occasion subject to 3-15 reviews and with a format to it has a little bit of formula to it. Maybe not perfect, but has been honed over 15 years.

It isnt classed as definitive/absolute and is probably more of a guide.

You know what, I MASSIVELY disagree with some of the final rankings, as well. I would have Wallasey as top 100 and I would have Tralee as no.1 (above Turnberry and RCD), and I wouldnt have Royal St.Davids/Aberdovey and Lundin links highly rated or top 100, either.

Have you played many of the courses yourself, and have you played Surrey heathland, Welsh links, Irish links and inland, and god-forbid some English courses as well, or do you just have a Gaelic bent on it all?

Enter into the debate, formulate an opinion, rate the TOC compared to others but dont bang on about the 1 course you feel is under/over-rated for the 500th time, as gets a bit drab.

Can you compare Scottish courses to all that this great Kingdom (and Ireland) provide, or are you just insular?

On another level - how would the Cabbyworld ratings apply, based on 100+ courses over 5 different countries? Markings, criteria, length of time etc

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't get why St Andrews old course, has gone up and is now number 2 tbh..:p

Me neither, never played there, or ever likely to, but I can't fathom why it would overtake other top courses. That's where i struggle with the subjectivity. These movements suggests inconsistency too, i.e. different criteria, or different interpretations, being used, year on year.

I see the criteria is quality of test and design (35%). Conditioning and presentation (30%), visual appeal, internally and externally (15%), and finally the club’s facilities and the overall visitor experience (each 10%).

So, to jump in ranking a course itself must either have been improved/redesigned in the last year (not for TOC as far as I am aware, but may be wrong), be in a better condition, relative to peers (again unlikely given all these courses will be impeccably maintained and have investment in facilities, decor etc.) or potentially (but only accounting for 10%) have poorer facilities or less welcoming staff etc, than they did a year ago.

I can't see this being the case for many of the top courses to be honest so am struggling to understand why there are as many movements as there are.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why St Andrews is now a better course than it was 12 months or so ago?