New Top 100 Rankings

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Me neither, never played there, or ever likely to, but I can't fathom why it would overtake other top courses. That's where i struggle with the subjectivity. These movements suggests inconsistency too, i.e. different criteria, or different interpretations, being used, year on year.

I see the criteria is quality of test and design (35%). Conditioning and presentation (30%), visual appeal, internally and externally (15%), and finally the club’s facilities and the overall visitor experience (each 10%).

So, to jump in ranking a course itself must either have been improved/redesigned in the last year (not for TOC as far as I am aware, but may be wrong), be in a better condition, relative to peers (again unlikely given all these courses will be impeccably maintained and have investment in facilities, decor etc.) or potentially (but only accounting for 10%) have poorer facilities or less welcoming staff etc, than they did a year ago.

I can't see this being the case for many of the top courses to be honest so am struggling to understand why there are as many movements as there are.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why St Andrews is now a better course than it was 12 months or so ago?

It potentially needs to do nothing if the course it overtook let its standards slip a little, and it will be fine margins at this level.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone who plays The Old Course rather a lot, I think I can say it's improved in the last couple of years. I'll give some examples why.

1. Three years ago we had some poor weather conditions; a mild January followed by some prolonged hard frosts in March&April. That knocked back early growth in a lot of of the East Fife courses severely, the difference being St Andrews Links had/have the resources to deal with it whereas other local courses struggled for most of the year following. Moving onto now, 2018 has been the best condition I've seen it in since I've been playing it in the last 8 years (which is personally infuriating because I've been too busy to actually play the darned thing in the last six months!)

2. The staff and facilities managed by the Links Trust are continually improving. This is largely a result of the fact that the Links Trust has more money than it knows what to do with and being a charitable trust it has a duty to continually reinvest back into facilities that reach further than just the course. The learning academy, range and practice facilities, the hospitality, toilets, beach(!), restaurants, cafes, shops, roads, shelters... They all continue to improve.

3. The course is the same but better. By that I mean the stripping of gorse/whins, and maintenance of bunkers to return small but significant parts of the course closer to 1890's photos and keep the "maintained but natural" links has made big differences in places. The boundaries between the Old and New are shifting slightly, and despite many people being nervous about all these type of changes when first proposed the results are undeniably making it better. For me one of the obvious improvements to stripping back the growth is from the 7th tee, which used to be a challenging, awkward and unsighted carry to the fairway short of Shell bunker. A lot of people were nervous about this change when proposed but the same people (myself included) have been proven wrong in play this year as it's improved the hole significantly.

So that's just 3 reasons it's improved in the last couple of years BUT I still don't think it's a better golf course than the likes of Muirfield, RCD, or even Carnoustie in the nearby rankings.

Anyway, lists are great, they continually stimulate debate and interest. They'd be pointless if they stayed the same and were considered fact all the time. ;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've only played the Old Course once two years ago and considering how heavily played it is, it was in absolutely immaculate condition. I loved the course and experience from the moment I arrived to the applause my approach shot to 18 received from the public watching.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As someone who plays The Old Course rather a lot, I think I can say it's improved in the last couple of years. I'll give some examples why.

1. Three years ago we had some poor weather conditions; a mild January followed by some prolonged hard frosts in March&April. That knocked back early growth in a lot of of the East Fife courses severely, the difference being St Andrews Links had/have the resources to deal with it whereas other local courses struggled for most of the year following. Moving onto now, 2018 has been the best condition I've seen it in since I've been playing it in the last 8 years (which is personally infuriating because I've been too busy to actually play the darned thing in the last six months!)

2. The staff and facilities managed by the Links Trust are continually improving. This is largely a result of the fact that the Links Trust has more money than it knows what to do with and being a charitable trust it has a duty to continually reinvest back into facilities that reach further than just the course. The learning academy, range and practice facilities, the hospitality, toilets, beach(!), restaurants, cafes, shops, roads, shelters... They all continue to improve.

3. The course is the same but better. By that I mean the stripping of gorse/whins, and maintenance of bunkers to return small but significant parts of the course closer to 1890's photos and keep the "maintained but natural" links has made big differences in places. The boundaries between the Old and New are shifting slightly, and despite many people being nervous about all these type of changes when first proposed the results are undeniably making it better. For me one of the obvious improvements to stripping back the growth is from the 7th tee, which used to be a challenging, awkward and unsighted carry to the fairway short of Shell bunker. A lot of people were nervous about this change when proposed but the same people (myself included) have been proven wrong in play this year as it's improved the hole significantly.

So that's just 3 reasons it's improved in the last couple of years BUT I still don't think it's a better golf course than the likes of Muirfield, RCD, or even Carnoustie in the nearby rankings.

Anyway, lists are great, they continually stimulate debate and interest. They'd be pointless if they stayed the same and were considered fact all the time. ;)

Good post Jim.

Ive only played TOC once a few years ago, but looking forward to going again in the next few years. I think the whole experience can overwhelm you 1st time, and maybe you can appreciate whether a great or just good course a bit more on any subsequent visits.

D

Deleted member 15344

Its not even top 10 in Scotland.

Every single magazine or website etc seems to always have it top ten in the Uk or the world with some having it top 5 ?

So what are they all missing ? There must be hundreds of course raters all having it up there as one of the best - are they all wrong ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Every single magazine or website etc seems to always have it top ten in the Uk or the world with some having it top 5 ?

So what are they all missing ? There must be hundreds of course raters all having it up there as one of the best - are they all wrong ?

Parrot reply.

D

Deleted member 15344

Parrot reply.

And that’s a reply avoiding the question really isn’t it - people rating courses from all over the world keep rating it so highly - what do you know that’s different ? You could provide the substance if you wish

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And that’s a reply avoiding the question really isn’t it - people rating courses from all over the world keep rating it so highly - what do you know that’s different ? You could provide the substance if you wish

When you can come back with either a standout hole or a brilliant designed hole on TOC I will listen. Anyway, I'm not really interested in turning this into a debate about TOC. It's been done to death now. Therefore I will politely end my debate with you.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Have you played the new Machrie.

Surprised it only went in at 90.

No I have not. Just going by reports from people who I respect and from what I know about Machrihanish. hopefully I'll be on the ferry from Kennacraig within the next few months with golf clubs.

D

Deleted member 17920

No I have not. Just going by reports from people who I respect and from what I know about Machrihanish. hopefully I'll be on the ferry from Kennacraig within the next few months with golf clubs.
Let us know your thoughts, I fancy it at some point. Looks magnificent.

Will combine it with a trip to Machrahanish 👍

D

Deleted member 16999

Stayed on Islay for a month, working, back in 2010 and played the course 3 times in that period, been following the redesign closely and it looks stunning.
As LQ says please let us know how it goes if you do get a cross.
Certainly on my bucket list to go back to Islay.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Same here - need to try and scratch the mach/mach itch in the next 2 years, maybe Dunaverty, also.
I played Mach Old and Mach Dunes but cancelled the trip to Islay to play the Machrie when a big storm rolled in off the atlantic. I am deffo going out there as it does look something extra special

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I played Mach Old and Mach Dunes but cancelled the trip to Islay to play the Machrie when a big storm rolled in off the atlantic. I am deffo going out there as it does look something extra special

All reports I've heard from friends, professional golfers and a "blogger" is that it gets it's big fat member out and wee wee's all over both Machrihanish courses.

Unless you're a national golf magazine wanting to maximize advertising that is.