New Top 100 Rankings

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wha
When I first played the Brabazon I thought it was a superb course. It’s still decent, but having played a whopping 7 of the top 100 now. It for me is certainly the weakest of those that I’ve played.

I think it’s prestige is raised by its history. That for me is reason enough for it to be in a “100 courses to play” list. I’ve not played enough of the rest on the list to compare, but atm I still think there are more than 2 good holes, and as has been mentioned, it’s always in superb condition.

On a side note, if it wasn’t for this place (the forum) I’d never get have been on anymore of the top 100. Hopefully I’ll add to that if we stop play the same paces every year.....;):LOL::LOL:

What did you think of Wallasey?

For me its definitely a top 85 course, never mind top 100.

D

Deleted Member 1156

[QUOTE="Liverbirdie, post: 1920271, member: 11620"!]

For me its definitely a top 85 course, never mind top 100.[/QUOTE]
I heard the next rankings will be top 80 😉

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fat fingers mate!

Plenty have taken the money off me though, was about time I had my one good round. Must have been the company. That or Birchy cursing you on the 10th.......
You played beautifully fella. I would have had to shoot around level par to beat you. As soon as Birchy talked me into going for the green in 2 on the 16th I knew I was a goner. No shame in coming second to that score on an Open course mate...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As you say, discussion of the merits or demerits of the Old Course rarely include new points.... Apart from the history, the significance in the game, the idiosyncrasies, the great seaside turf, the views of beach and town, the massive double greens, the vagaries of the weather and the topography…. It’s pretty bland!

But loving it isnt universal, or compulsory.;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Wha

For me its definitely a top 85 course, never mind top 100.

I’ve not played enough to guesstimate a proper rating for it. That being said, it’s easily in my 10 for golfing experiences.

I’d probably order the top clubs I’ve played, as follows;

Turnberry
Sunningdale Old
RSG
Royal Liverpool
Wallasey
RCP
Dundonald
Sunningdale New
Brabazon
New Zealand
Robert the Bruce
Princes

I’m sure both Sunningdale New and New Zealand are better courses than that suggest, but I played both so poorly that o can’t remember them with much favour. Same for RCP, whilst the experience was memorable when we played there. I’m still struggling to remember too many of the holes.

D

Deleted member 21258

I think if you worked on an average green fee of £120 you wouldn't be too far off the mark. Lots of clubs around £200 but also lots in the £75-100 bracket. Based on that it would be £12k :eek:

Really sad man here, just totalled up the lower end of the GF quoted in the paper version of the list received today. It was about £14k. That said I did spot that you can play some of the courses for less in winter or twilight than the fees quoted. If you wish to play all of them you need a lot of friends :LOL: or a big wallet.

Good guess sir(y) If only there was a gold star top of the class award ;)

There is a picture of a pretty boy PH on page 5:devilish::devilish:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Showing yourself up there, lad. :LOL:

if you think so, all I'm doing is showing up that it's all subjective, if I say something is based on my opinion doesn't mean I'm right does it ? No of course it doesn't so by that token, any top 100 devised by anyone doesn't mean they are right.

D

Deleted Member 1156

if you think so, all I'm doing is showing up that it's all subjective, if I say something is based on my opinion doesn't mean I'm right does it ? No of course it doesn't so by that token, any top 100 devised by anyone doesn't mean they are right.
So why do you keep saying everything is FACT?

Wolf

Visit site
Well I've played a grand total of 5 of those courses.. Guess I've a lot of catching up to do, though with the exception of maybe 5 other of the courses on that list I really don't feel like I've missed out on anything. There also a lot on the that I don't have may desire to play with the main culprit being TPC, absolutely no desire at all.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Lowest green fee is £55 for Silloth, and highest is £375 for Turnberry. Silloth is stunning value. (y)

There are 59 links, 27 heathland, 11 parkland and 3 clifftop courses in top 100.

Top architects are Harry Colt (17) James Braid (14) and Old Tom Morris (12)

50 in England, 24 Scotland, 22 Ireland and 4 in Wales.

Most of the courses in the top 20 are £200 plus. Cheapest is Woodhall which is always good value, especially if you know a man there.:whistle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I've played a grand total of 5 of those courses.. Guess I've a lot of catching up to do, though with the exception of maybe 5 other of the courses on that list I really don't feel like I've missed out on anything. There also a lot on the that I don't have may desire to play with the main culprit being TPC, absolutely no desire at all.
I've been through the list and I can't work out which course is TPC. Go on, put me out of my misery.