New Top 100 Rankings

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Subjective nonsense

I would agree.

I haven't played many 'top 100' courses, but even if there's a lot of people who have played them all - it would be hugely difficult to rank things on any kind of consistent marking scheme.

For me, if it's a top 100 in Scotland, in England, in GB & Ireland etc. then it will clearly be a great course, well maintained and a great experience to play.

While I will get into doing a bit of golf tourism and playing more courses, it is a very expensive business - assuming you can even access some courses such as Muirfield, the Renaissance etc.

Plus for me it would be very frustrating to play a course only once as you would always think you could play it a bit better when you know your way about.

D

Deleted member 15344

From the New and Re Entry I want to know who lost there place in the top 100.

Can anyone remember.

I thought that The Machrie might go in higher than what is has.

I have now played 54 from that list.

41 for me with a few to tick off next year

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see Trump Aberdeen slip. Not surprising though. It has the opportunity to become a great course, but it isn't yet. It doesn't sit well in the landscape and the greens need some more time to knit properly. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10 years..

D

Deleted member 15344

why comment then? its a good point of discussion that a number of us enjoy.
It’s the same every year - you always get the same members ( well under different names this year ) with the same moans about it being meaningless etc etc but as you say it’s a good discussion point for the people that do enjoy the list

D

Deleted Member 1156

Bad day at the office for me, I've dropped from 85 to 82.

Oh well, time to get planning for next year 🙂

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s the same every year - you always get the same members ( well under different names this year ) with the same moans about it being meaningless etc etc but as you say it’s a good discussion point for the people that do enjoy the list

Also, Its important for the clubs as they derive much revenue from being on the list. I'm sure that Tandridge green fees will have taken a hike after appearing on the list last year.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
absolutely but what does your comment add to the thread? all you're going to get is people (like me) responding with what i did.

not interested in it, don't comment

You see that list is being taken as gospel, so it's purely subjective....i say number 1 should be 9th, 25th should be first, what does that bring to a discussion.

D

Deleted member 16999

You see that list is being taken as gospel, so it's purely subjective....i say number 1 should be 9th, 25th should be first, what does that bring to a discussion.
It brings reasoning and debate, your comment brings..................

D

Deleted member 21258

I don't get why St Andrews old course, has gone up and is now number 2 tbh.

Don't dispute that as an experience, it is top 3 and is a must play but as a course, test/design, challenge, visual appeal and conditioning and crossovers, some really poor holes in my eyes, just cant see why it is top 2, when compared to the other courses I have played on the list. But aren't opinions great(y)

Saunton west and blairgowie and royal north devon are the big droppers. Was really looking forward to playing both Sauntons and RND next year, hope the three courses are still grand now they have dropped.:p

D

Deleted member 17920

I don't get why St Andrews old course, has gone up and is now number 2 tbh.

Don't dispute that as an experience, it is top 3 and is a must play but as a course, test/design, challenge, visual appeal and conditioning and crossovers, some really poor holes in my eyes, just cant see why it is top 2, when compared to the other courses I have played on the list. But aren't opinions great(y)

Saunton west and blairgowie and royal north devon are the big droppers. Was really looking forward to playing both Sauntons and RND next year, hope the three courses are still grand now they have dropped.:p
Has Cabby stolen DRW's account :eek:

D

Deleted member 16999

Interesting list, always will be subjective, played 11.
Nice to see The Queen’s Course at Gleneagles take a decent jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21258

Has Cabby stolen DRW's account :eek:

Honest its me;), it is a must play course just for the double greens & experience. As an experience its as good as it comes equal to Sunningdale old and loch Lomond for me. But course it would below quite a lot of the ones I have played.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sparks debate as always. I like talking about the merits of one course versus another and its all subjective. That's what makes for good discussion. Irrespective of where any courses sit , the top 100, and the next 100 are great lists and its fun to try try and tick a few off each year.

I've done 29 of the top 100 and 19 of the next. Already planned to tick off a few on both lists next year......Royal Lytham, North Berwick, Gullane, Enville, Conwy.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played 3 in the top 5 this year and only one them should be that high up.....FACT.

What's good about the one you played and bad about the others that they should be further down the list ?

I'm not a fan of the man made links. I much prefer say Dornoch or Carnoustie to Trump Aberdeen and Castle Stuart. I also think that the likes of Hankley and Swinley should be higher up the list.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What's good about the one you played and bad about the others that they should be further down the list ?

I'm not a fan of the man made links. I much prefer say Dornoch or Carnoustie to Trump Aberdeen and Castle Stuart. I also think that the likes of Hankley and Swinley should be higher up the list.

The Old is over rated, Carnoustie was shocking state when I played there recently, not long after the Open as it happens, Trump Turnberry on the other hand is magnificent.....FACT !