New Top 100 Rankings

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just seen the new rankings released. Generally not too much change.

I have no idea how Swinley can be ranked so low.

I love being a member at Burnham and Berrow, but it is not better than Swinley

Fortunate to have played both courses a few times and loved them both but I don't see how a links course can be compared to a heathland course, they're completely different. Have played a few links courses now and have always been really impressed with B&B.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fortunate to have played both courses a few times and loved them both but I don't see how a links course can be compared to a heathland course, they're completely different. Have played a few links courses now and have always been really impressed with B&B.
It's easy to compare different types of courses, it is done against a fixed set of criteria.

D

Deleted member 21258

Thank GID for link, really interesting listening, surprising good for a GM video, enjoyed that (y)

Good to hear that they are considering the experience a reasonable amount. Whether that is views, welcome, clubhouse, changing rooms and car park. We have had some bad welcomes like at Delamere and RSG from the pro and the starter at TOC was right grumpy. When paying top money its not suitable. I am almost dreading playing at Muirfield next April as expecting the welcome to be poor and I don't need that before teeing off. Had some brilliant welcomes like at Sandiway, the shop at TOC, North Berwick and Ganton.

When paying a lot of money to play this courses, it needs to be top notch on every front. You need to enjoy it on good or bad days, on and off the course. I think there is so much more than just playing the course and ranking the course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank GID for link, really interesting listening, surprising good for a GM video, enjoyed that (y)

Good to hear that they are considering the experience a reasonable amount. Whether that is views, welcome, clubhouse, changing rooms and car park. We have had some bad welcomes like at Delamere and RSG from the pro and the starter at TOC was right grumpy. When paying top money its not suitable. I am almost dreading playing at Muirfield next April as expecting the welcome to be poor and I don't need that before teeing off. Had some brilliant welcomes like at Sandiway, the shop at TOC, North Berwick and Ganton.

When paying a lot of money to play this courses, it needs to be top notch on every front. You need to enjoy it on good or bad days, on and off the course. I think there is so much more than just playing the course and ranking the course.

Really good post DRW. I was lucky enough to play Turnberry earlier this year and was a little intimidated by the thought of a starter, not experienced them before on the whole. Luckily for us, perhaps helped by it being a quiet day, he walked towards us with a smile on his face, hand out stretched. We relaxed, we had a little chat and then he wished us well. He got it spot on.

The pro, a starter, they are all front of house and set the tone for the club. If they are not welcoming then they put you off straight away, get you on the wrong foot. A happy, welcoming face is so important and so ridiculously easy to manage.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i doubt the starter at Muirfield would be anything but that welcoming. Ive been lucky enough to play there quite a few times as a punter and as a members guest and he has always been very professional and welcoming, the rest though apart from the lady in the office Rude, but they are not there for you and the clubs doesn't really care if you play or not I've found, but none the less a fantastic course

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Muirfield (if you are booked in) has always been very welcoming. I once tried to nip in the day before in order to have a quick look and was politely, but firmly told (in that wonderful accent) "we'll look forward tae welcoming ye back in the morning sir!!" Never have I enjoyed being told to "naff off" so much! :D I didnt get past the gate!

Once inside the follwing day, blooming lovely!!

Swinley too... very nice and friendly... I guess if you turn up without being expected... a bit different

D

Deleted member 15344

Have had a number of poor welcomes at clubs as well as good welcomes but it never puts me off the course and certainly doesn’t put me off my round ? I’m not sure why it would. Some clubs just aren’t welcoming but that’s life - I can understand why it’s part of ratings but a poor welcome would never stop me playing a course - I’m there to play golf not get a friendly hello from the pro or starter or office etc

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Have had a number of poor welcomes at clubs as well as good welcomes but it never puts me off the course and certainly doesn’t put me off my round ? I’m not sure why it would. Some clubs just aren’t welcoming but that’s life - I can understand why it’s part of ratings but a poor welcome would never stop me playing a course - I’m there to play golf not get a friendly hello from the pro or starter or office etc

True enough, it's certainly better to get a cheery welcome but if a club is not going to give that I would normally play then not stay around in the clubhouse too long

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had a couple of cold welcomes and it does live a sour taste but as long as I enjoy the course and the company I tend to let it lie. If its poor when I get to the 19th I tend to vote with my feet and go elsewhere for a drink and a bite to eat. Fortunately clubs are pretty savvy towards visitors these days. There was a great welcome from my old Irish friend Pat Quaid who acted as starter last year at Sunningdale and hopefully will be back on duty next year. He was a shining example of how to do it

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just watched the video that Gaz posted up, should help a few people understand the process a bit better (y)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Ormskirk a few years back with some kind gents from here over Christmas.

The course was frozen in the morning, but the welcome we got from the Secretary and pro - including a couple of free teas/coffees whilst the course thawed out - still makes me think of the place fondly.

Similarly, played at Hoylake as part of a bit of a dream trip last year which also included Birkdale, Lytham, West Lancs, Wallasey & The Belfry. The reception and welcome we got at Hoylake was exceptional and as a result, enjoyed that whole experience more than any other during that week.

D

Deleted member 21258

Was looking at some irish golf clubs and noted the K club was previously 88 on the list I had saved, that's now in the top 200, a big drop.:eek:

The new entry Adare Manor website, the green fees are euros 375 plus you have to have a caddy euros 75, so 450 euros. :eek::eek::eek: Must make it the most expensive green fee in the top 100 ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was looking at some irish golf clubs and noted the K club was previously 88 on the list I had saved, that's now in the top 200, a big drop.:eek:

The new entry Adare Manor website, the green fees are euros 375 plus you have to have a caddy euros 75, so 450 euros. :eek::eek::eek: Must make it the most expensive green fee in the top 100 ?

I've always wanted to do a West coast Ireland trip but the prices in the Summer for the likes of Ballybunion and Tralee (EUR 230 & EUR 210) put me off.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've always wanted to do a West coast Ireland trip but the prices in the Summer for the likes of Ballybunion and Tralee (EUR 230 & EUR 210) put me off.
Andy, look a bit further up the coast as it's cheaper. Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Co Donegal, Rosapenna and Ballyliffin are all top quality but not as expensive.
I did all the SW courses earlier this year and as you say, all Euro200+ per round.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Andy, look a bit further up the coast as it's cheaper. Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Co Donegal, Rosapenna and Ballyliffin are all top quality but not as expensive.
I did all the SW courses earlier this year and as you say, all Euro200+ per round.
Played Ballyliffen Glashedy in an Open last year and it was sensational. Got on for 50 odd Euro if I remember correctly. Then played the Old later that day. It is a fantastic 2 course venue and the area around it is stunning too. Well worth all the effort.

D

Deleted member 17920

Its just ridiculous now.

Totally geared up to the American market.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Its just ridiculous now.

Totally geared up to the American market.

Cheers fellas, I've been across the North as far as Ballyliffin, but just fancied the South / South West as i've heard such good things......but its crazy expensive.