New sheriff in town

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
If he's hitting it further than you consider playing smarter rather than trying to compete with him on distance. Plus, at the end of the day, its a game so have fun, be gracious in defeat.

If it gets to a point where not being the longest hitter anymore effects your enjoyment maybe it's time to take a break and re-asess?

Robin Hood

Visit site
So a new sheriff in town.
Is it Nottingham ?
I must get the merry men together and sort it out.
No-one can out-drive Little John.
Where are my green tights ? And are they allowed on the course of golf ?

Chico84

Visit site
This is a bizarre OP if you ask me, but I’ll bite. Go and get some lessons and ask to focus on your driving if it bothers you that much.

GolfOwl

Visit site
-------- Original

The interesting story here is your "friend's" improvement. How fantastic for him to turn his game around like that. I'd love to know more about that.

But let’s assume that having the longest drive is important.
The distance you hit the ball is a combination of a number of factors. Technique, contact, speed, mobility to name a few
Get these checked out and work on them. I've seen a 3 foot 75 year old dwarf in Thailand hit a ball 250 yards with a house brick tied to a bit of bamboo. There will undoubtably be improvements you can make unless you are perfect in all those regards already.

Why does having the longest drive mean so much to you to you? The game is about having the lowest score isn't it? This is where your focus should be.
It's time to let go of this "macho" thing that you attach to driving (not sure why you have this - might be a question for another professional).

How to deal with this loss of confidence?

Confidence comes from doing things well and believing you can repeat it.
I’m guessing you do some things well?
If you don't - learn and practice.
If you do - remind yourself about these. Say to yourself I am a phenomenal putter / chipper / 2nd best driver / whatever it is 10 times a day in front of the mirror – and mean it. This works. Trust me. Do it.

As you re-build your confidence you will worry less about others and hopefully you can be at peace with whatever the status quo happens to be....

See someone about that macho thing though...

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
-------- Original

The interesting story here is your "friend's" improvement. How fantastic for him to turn his game around like that. I'd love to know more about that.

But let’s assume that having the longest drive is important.
The distance you hit the ball is a combination of a number of factors. Technique, contact, speed, mobility to name a few
Get these checked out and work on them. I've seen a 3 foot 75 year old dwarf in Thailand hit a ball 250 yards with a house brick tied to a bit of bamboo. There will undoubtably be improvements you can make unless you are perfect in all those regards already.

Why does having the longest drive mean so much to you to you? The game is about having the lowest score isn't it? This is where your focus should be.
It's time to let go of this "macho" thing that you attach to driving (not sure why you have this - might be a question for another professional).

How to deal with this loss of confidence?

Confidence comes from doing things well and believing you can repeat it.
I’m guessing you do some things well?
If you don't - learn and practice.
If you do - remind yourself about these. Say to yourself I am a phenomenal putter / chipper / 2nd best driver / whatever it is 10 times a day in front of the mirror – and mean it. This works. Trust me. Do it.

As you re-build your confidence you will worry less about others and hopefully you can be at peace with whatever the status quo happens to be....

See someone about that macho thing though...
What a well written first post. Welcome to The Forum. You talk far too sensible to be on here for long!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's really important to you...

Dramatically change the numbers on the bottom of your clubs and be seen to hit 2 clubs less than him into the greens anyway...

As he strives to hit his irons even further (than he is now) his swing will eventually meltdown....and you will be back to your exalted position off every tee.

Or you could just compliment him on his play, and enjoy the game.

D

Deleted member 23270

Why don't you get him to play off the tips and you play off the reds? :devilish:

D

Deleted member 1147

Dear Sirs

Can you help me?

For a number of years I've been the "big hitter" in our group. "The Daddy”, “ Big Kahunas”, "The swinging dick
Sean

Maybe he has let his loose, and in so doing has increased his own swinging power!

Sean 64

Visit site
Dear all

Thank you for all your suggestions and advice.
They have helped me understand that my issue is purely a mental struggle with myself as opposed to any malevolence towards my friend, so letting his tyres down and changing my club numbers, although great ideas, are not the solution I think I need.

I've gone through denial - there have been a couple of occasions over the last few months where we have been looking for his ball and I've almost scolded him for looking in, what I thought, was the wrong place. "You would have never hit it this far" I've said sternly on more than one occasion. Maybe if we had looked where he thought he’d driven we would have found his balls. Sorry mate.

I think this current stage is confusion. Why is this happening? It can’t be? It doesn’t make sense and all that.

With your help I can now move on to acceptance.

YeOldeBoomer
Clubchamp
Swinglowandslow
RussD
Chico84
DaveR
GolfOwl

you hit the nail on the head

I will work on my game, my confidence and will focus on what matters.
I will take encouragement from that little Thai chap and work to improve.
But as part of acceptance phase I think I have to accept that my mate is now a golfer and, without doubt, a better one than me

I will then stand in front of that mirror every morning in full golf regalia, or maybe naked, and say “I AM a phenomenal whatever it may be but I will also take pride in saying “I am the second / third /hundredth best driver / golfer in my group and enjoy the rest of my golfing days as I should do……

Thank you

D

Deleted member 23270

But as part of acceptance phase I think I have to accept that my mate is now a golfer and, without doubt, a better one than me
There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. Out chip and out putt him every round and you'll be picking up the winnings every week (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dear all

Thank you for all your suggestions and advice.
They have helped me understand that my issue is purely a mental struggle with myself as opposed to any malevolence towards my friend, so letting his tyres down and changing my club numbers, although great ideas, are not the solution I think I need.

I've gone through denial - there have been a couple of occasions over the last few months where we have been looking for his ball and I've almost scolded him for looking in, what I thought, was the wrong place. "You would have never hit it this far" I've said sternly on more than one occasion. Maybe if we had looked where he thought he’d driven we would have found his balls. Sorry mate.

I think this current stage is confusion. Why is this happening? It can’t be? It doesn’t make sense and all that.

With your help I can now move on to acceptance.

YeOldeBoomer
Clubchamp
Swinglowandslow
RussD
Chico84
DaveR
GolfOwl

you hit the nail on the head

I will then stand in front of that mirror every morning in full golf regalia, or maybe naked, and say “I AM a phenomenal whatever it may be but I will also take pride in saying “I am the second / third /hundredth best driver / golfer in my group and enjoy the rest of my golfing days as I should do……

Thank you
There’s a picture in my head now that I can’t Unsee.