Ping fitting at Gainsboro

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the other week I was blinded by the natural beauty of the Ping 525i. Just happened to coincide with my birthday so after having a few quid in pressies and the thought of selling my Ping G Max I thought I am going back to Ping Gainsboro for another fitting. I have been before, loved the experience and off I went.
So I was met by Adam who measured me and off I went hitting a few looseners. Suffice to say I was proper bogged off hitting a 7 iron into a 20-30 mph head wind. I few I hit well by my standards and a few quite frankly were rammel. I then picked up the Ping 525i and what was quite apparent was the difference in forgiveness. A bad shot really was a bad shot. After hitting a few more with different shafts there was not much difference. I hit a few with the 425 and the thing that struck me straight away was I never really noticed the difference at address between the 525i and the 425G. The main difference being the forgiveness.
What was blatantly obvious was my swing was rammel. On all the clubs and shafts I used, my swing speed. Angle of attack, swing path, club face, hitting out of the toe was nigh on identical. It was shocking. The difference between my current clubs and any new clubs was 4 yards further with a pocket nigh on £1,000 lighter. I didn’t need telling, but Adam told me. Contrary to Forum opinion ? new clubs are not the answer.
I mentioned about how I had had a few lessons over the last couple of years yet both pros showed me a different swing.I tried showing him an older swing and ironically hit my best of the day. We had a play with my driver and exactly the same.
Suffice to say but I was proper bogged off. But more to do with my shocking swing than the experience.
That said, once more I loved the 75 minute session. For £25 it was a fantastic one on one. As Adam said “ sort out your swing, hit it in the middle and the effort you are putting in will increase your distance”. It was the truth.Far better than get these for £1,000. Finally he did say find a pro you like for lessons and stick with him.
The hunt for a decent swing goes on.
Many Thanks Adam and Ping.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is the very thing that I have found out, after many wasted and truly frustrating years seeing various pros.
What I have learnt is that they teach based on their OWN swing. They merely teach a method and NOT the golfer. A good pro will be able to teach a method for your unique physique.
However to be fair things have changed in recent times, whereas when I saw a few it seemed to be based on Leadbetters method.
I truly believe that Leadbetters methods do not suit recreational golfers and has been detrimental for any improvement.

Tashyboy

Visit site
This is the very thing that I have found out, after many wasted and truly frustrating years seeing various pros.
What I have learnt is that they teach based on their OWN swing. They merely teach a method and NOT the golfer. A good pro will be able to teach a method for your unique physique.
However to be fair things have changed in recent times, whereas when I saw a few it seemed to be based on Leadbetters method.
I truly believe that Leadbetters methods do not suit recreational golfers and has been detrimental for any improvement.

What I couldn’t understand was with a basic club and a rammel swing my launch angle was high. He said that also is killing distance ? How do you tell a pro you are hitting across the ball and it’s a high trajectory ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely sound advice by Ping rep!
If you want to score better, keep the 425Gs and have lessons. If you want to swing better, there might be an argument for the 525is either as part of, or after swing changes, but is it 'cost effective'?!
525is are the best looking Ping clubs I've seen though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty much agree with this. When I first joined a club, I had a couple of 'review' lessons with the Pro. After 2 swings, he stopped me and said 'You're a hockey player aren't you!' which was correct (30-ish+ years of it!). So he adapted his teaching to suit my 'natural' style as oposed to the Leadbetter (and others) approach of completely rebuilding! That might work for professional players, but not for recreational ones!

Tashyboy

Visit site
You shouldn’t need to, he should be able to see that with the naked eye ?
I have to have a serious think about where I go from here. One guy is £50 a lesson an hours drive away. The other is £25, 20 minutes away. Both I can conect with. Not wanting to muddy the waters, there is a guy at our place who the lads like. ? gonna have a think on holiday.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty much agree with this. When I first joined a club, I had a couple of 'review' lessons with the Pro. After 2 swings, he stopped me and said 'You're a hockey player aren't you!' which was correct (30-ish+ years of it!). So he adapted his teaching to suit my 'natural' style as oposed to the Leadbetter (and others) approach of completely rebuilding! That might work for professional players, but not for recreational ones!

Don’t tell me, you’re more of a one plane swinger where you swing the club around you ?

Springveldt

Visit site
What I couldn’t understand was with a basic club and a rammel swing my launch angle was high. He said that also is killing distance ? How do you tell a pro you are hitting across the ball and it’s a high trajectory ?
A pro will notice instantly the problem, especially if they have a launch monitor like Trackman or GC Quad that measures the club face. Sounds like you have too much dynamic loft, it's easy to hit across the ball with a high trajectory, it's the most common amateur fault.