New sheriff in town

Sean 64

Visit site
Dear Sirs

Can you help me?

For a number of years I've been the "big hitter" in our group. "The Daddy”, “ Big Kahunas”, "The swinging dick” they call me. I've taken a lot of macho pride from this and have rammed it down my mates’ throats at every opportunity like a french pate farmer with his prize geese.

However one of the group who has been our perennial "loser", weakest hitter and eternal butt of jokes has improved so dramatically that I have recently found myself walking up to the furthest ball on the fairway a number of times assuming it was mine only to find out that it is his and mine is 30 or 40 yards further back.

As well as the embarrassment that this has caused me I have also ended up holding up groups behind as I trudge back to my ball.

This came to a head on Saturday when I hit, what was probably, my best ever drive on the 17th and was already counting my “longest drive” winnings in my head when this smaller, lighter, older but, evidently, way more powerful co-player hit one 12 yards passed mine.

Have you got any tips on how to deal with the emasculation and collapse in confidence when your game and power is declining with age whilst one of your older, smaller, lighter friends is actually improving and getting stronger?

Please help me.

Sean

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dear Sirs

Can you help me?

For a number of years I've been the "big hitter" in our group. "The Daddy”, “ Big Kahunas”, "The swinging dick” they call me. I've taken a lot of macho pride from this and have rammed it down my mates’ throats at every opportunity like a french pate farmer with his prize geese.

However one of the group who has been our perennial "loser", weakest hitter and eternal butt of jokes has improved so dramatically that I have recently found myself walking up to the furthest ball on the fairway a number of times assuming it was mine only to find out that it is his and mine is 30 or 40 yards further back.

As well as the embarrassment that this has caused me I have also ended up holding up groups behind as I trudge back to my ball.

This came to a head on Saturday when I hit, what was probably, my best ever drive on the 17th and was already counting my “longest drive” winnings in my head when this smaller, lighter, older but, evidently, way more powerful co-player hit one 12 yards passed mine.

Have you got any tips on how to deal with the emasculation and collapse in confidence when your game and power is declining with age whilst one of your older, smaller, lighter friends is actually improving and getting stronger?

Please help me.

Sean
Do what he is doing.
There must be a reason he’s improved.
The other option is take up Bowls.

Sean 64

Visit site
Thanks clubchamp. I never thought of that (Do what he is doing). I have probably been over confident over the last few months that the world order will be restored and he will become rubbish again.
I think he's had a couple of lessons and heard he's got a simulator in his office but I've played with lots of other people who've had lessons and practiced but never seen this sort of improvement before.
I'm playing ok myself but his distance and consistency are messing with my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The simple answer is don’t play with him anymore!
Could be he is like me , hits it mostly carry no roll.
If this is the case you may have lost yardage by getting no roll if you don’t carry it mostly in the air.
So you will catch him in summer.

I have lost about 25yds over the years but was never the “ swinging dick “ so it dosnt matter.
Just enjoy your golf and forget him.

Last edited:

Sean 64

Visit site
The simple answer is don’t play with him anymore!
Could be he is like me , hits it mostly carry no roll.
If this is the case you may have lost yardage by getting no roll if you don’t carry it mostly in the air.
So you will catch him in summer.

I have lost about 25yds over the years but was never the “ swinging dick “ so it dosnt matter.
Just enjoy your golf and forget him.

I have thought of that but I it would be like admitting defeat and I actually enjoy his company. So it's like a love / hate thing.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Dear Sirs

Please help me.

Sean
Let him hit his ball a few steps beyond yours and concentrate on recording smaller numbers on your scorecard.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Congratulate him. ! He's done well, and you are a better man for wishing him well than being upset that he can now get the satisfaction that you get from hitting it big.?