New set of Sticks

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good evening all,

I'm new here so please be nice.

I am seriously considering a new set of clubs, I have just retired from saturday football and have started geting alot more involved in golf I played alot when I was younger.

I have an old set of hippos and feel an upgrade is required, I have been looking at Wilsons Di9's or maybe Di7's for a bit until I get my game sorted, currently I am playing to 19/20 handicap.

Anyone have any ideas I have about £400 max?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Try before you buy and shop around. If you wait a few weeks everyone will be bringing out 09 ranges and so you'll get some good deals on last year and 07 models. Where in Hampshire are you (and do you fancy a game with the forum? ;))

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm in New Milton right on the edge of the New Forest. About 20 mins from Bournemouth.

Yes I would be interested, thanks for asking

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Di7 are good sticks mate and will do you grand, The in laws are in Andover so im also up for a game when im down your neck of the woods.

Should get a good price on them these days with the Di9 being out, I part exchanged mine 4-sw with Dh6 rescue club for £130!!!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cavity back, any of the better known brands, plus some of the 'lesser' known (except on here), MacGregor, MD, Orka.

Don't neglect older models, they don't suddenly go off because a new version is around (there's a set of MacGregor 565's on another post for about £150)

Don't know your build, swing speed etc but you should expect custom fitting to be included in the price, however check first.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome Harry.
I could be boring and say spend half the money on a decent second hand set of Pings and spend the rest on lessons.....
But I imagine the £400 is burning a hole in your pocket.
As a qualified custom fitter, here are a few things to consider when buying new clubs
1 Your height
2 Your hand size
3 The plane of your swing (affects the lie of the club at impact)
4 Your swing speed
5 Your strength
6 Graphite or steel
7 Does the club look nice
8 Does it feel nice
9 Cavity back or blade
10 High ball flight or low
11 Offset or not
etc etc etc
As you can guess, it would be difficult to advise you without seeing your swing, but here's my tip.
Go and see your local pro and have some lessons. THEN ask his advice on custom fitting
There's absolutely no point buying the clubs first, then having lessons.