old irons or new.....

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Hi all, great forum, as a beginner I am after some advice, and apologies if this topic has been done to death…..
I started playing in March this year as a laugh with mates but have truly been bitten by the bug…
Range twice a week plus a round or two, also had four lessons and being 48 im rearly disappointed I did not try Golf earlier…..

I have been using a cheap second hand Wilson box set (£100) that whilst its been fairly ok, I know they are not something I can proceed with.
I went for a fitting this week with the intention of buying new clubs.
I was interested in the Cobra F9’s and the Ping G410’s.
The fitting based on me being 5.11 etc showed I would need 2 degree up (green dot) and my swing speed with a 7 iron was 85-89 mph so probably a stiff shaft.
The Wilsons are a cheap graphite and soft and I already new they were not the best for me…..

So, the F9 irons I loved more so than the G410’s however the G410 5 wood and driver I preferred over the Cobra . The G410 5 wood was fantastic to hit compared to the Cobra (I think the rails on the bottom of the Cobra compared to the flat bottom of the G410 had something to do with it in my head lol) the G410 driver was half inch shorter shaft and I hit that straight far more consistently than the Cobra BUT not as long…..

I came away with what would be a F9 iron set and G410 5 wood – driver undecided.
This little lot was not so little price wise…. and here after thinking overnight about it is my question….at last lol

I can buy a mint set of SECOND HAND green dot stiff shaft Ping G30 iron set and a new G410 5 wood and under a third of the price… a driver I would love some cheap alternative suggestions.

Part of me is saying the second hand G30’s are still a good club, and whilst they may not feel as nice as the Cobra F9 new clubs I should be more concerned with developing my game and forget about new shiny stuff for now…… I am also making a presumption on how the G30’s feel as I cannot try them…..

I know alot of people will say no way a beginner should start with new clubs etc etc but buying once is more important to me than cost if it helps me enjoy the sport….

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry for such a long post 😊

Last edited:

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
If cost isn’t a barrier then crack on with the new set. If this expenditure gets in the way of affording lessons, then second hand all the way.

I must admit I wasn't expecting that answer lol,,,,, do you think I should go for a second fitting and hit some other brands and try again the f9's through the whole bag to be rearly sure..... or do most just try it the once....

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The G30s ARE a good club.
Current irons will offer the tiniest of improvement (if any) over previous models.
All clubs are 2nd hand after a month in the bag.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't splash out too much until you've playing for a while and your swing has 'settled down'.
Go with the mint second hand set would be my advice
Yeah this 100%. I think even doing the fitting within your first year of playing was a bit of a waste. A good quality second hand set of gear will be more than fine.

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Yeah this 100%. I think even doing the fitting within your first year of playing was a bit of a waste. A good quality second hand set of gear will be more than fine.

I understand what your saying, I think the fitting is me trying to step out of my box set clubs and whilst i appreciate I have a long way to go my swing was pretty consistent and i viewed it worthwhile if nothing else but to make sure whatever i do at least shaft flex and lie angle would be in the correct realms..... please keep in mind also that I have not hit any other clubs other than my Wilson box set (and a couple of ping zing 2's my brother had) so at least i got to see how different they did and did not feel....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand what your saying, I think the fitting is me trying to step out of my box set clubs and whilst i appreciate I have a long way to go my swing was pretty consistent and i viewed it worthwhile if nothing else but to make sure whatever i do at least shaft flex and lie angle would be in the correct realms..... please keep in mind also that I have not hit any other clubs other than my Wilson box set (and a couple of ping zing 2's my brother had) so at least i got to see how different they did and did not feel....
Length and lie angle could still change if you start swinging with a more upright posture for example, or vice versa. If it was a free fitting just to try out some different clubs though, that's fine, you might as well. I just wouldn't have paid for an in-depth fitting, is what I meant.

Still, you get far better value for second hand clubs anyway. In my bag only the putter and driver were bought brand new because I did fittings for them, everything else is second hand.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Custom fitting is a pretty tenuous subject on this forum. Some claim that it’s an absolute must. Others think that it’s a waste of time. I tend to ascribe to the latter view. I can probably change the dynamic lie of a club 20 times during a round if I tried. Also, as you’re going through a series of lessons, your once perfectly fit clubs might need adjusted etc.

Bob is bang on. Get a nice forgiving set of 2nd hand clubs which you like the look of and go enjoy your golf. Or, buy brand new top of the range- it’s your dollar.

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
Length and lie angle could still change if you start swinging with a more upright posture for example, or vice versa. If it was a free fitting just to try out some different clubs though, that's fine, you might as well. I just wouldn't have paid for an in-depth fitting, is what I meant.

Still, you get far better value for second hand clubs anyway. In my bag only the putter and driver were bought brand new because I did fittings for them, everything else is second hand.

Yes it was a free fitting and I did feel bad not purchasing BUT I did go with that intention of buying in mind so I can live with that.... i have seen that the g30's have the distance shaft which correct me if wrong is half inch longer ? that may not be worth me doing as i preume i have only used standard length to now....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it was a free fitting and I did feel bad not purchasing BUT I did go with that intention of buying in mind so I can live with that.... i have seen that the g30's have the distance shaft which correct me if wrong is half inch longer ? that may not be worth me doing as i preume i have only used standard length to now....
I don't know mate, shafts can vary when you're buying second hand anyway. That's something to watch out for I'd say.

OLDGIT ST

Visit site
I have also seen a set of G25's 4-SW for £250 all standard except loft of 3 up (im supoosedly 2 deg up) which may fit as even the fitter said after a strike matt i was still slightly toeing the club ... im seriously tempted at that price to try em, they surely have to be better than the box set i have regardless and will see me through as a beginner....

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm with Virtuocity, if money is no object go with the new, at least you'll know the suit you for now. If your swing changes they will still fit and work for you