New Rules - thoughts?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tried to read it all....looks & reads like an attempt to trim the fat from existing rules rather than take a fresh look at the whats needed to play the game keeping it simple, fair and minimalistic which I think would make for a far better approach

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tried to read it all....looks & reads like an attempt to trim the fat from existing rules rather than take a fresh look at the whats needed to play the game keeping it simple, fair and minimalistic which I think would make for a far better approach

Had a quick look and that's exactly what I thought. Bit of trimming and tidying rather than simplifying.

I was expecting something covering a couple pages!

The idea (in code 2) of golf being a points based game (effectively a modified stableford) just seems wrong. How is that simpler than counting how often you hit the ball?

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a quick look and that's exactly what I thought. Bit of trimming and tidying rather than simplifying.

I was expecting something covering a couple pages!

The idea (in code 2) of golf being a points based game (effectively a modified stableford) just seems wrong. How is that simpler than counting how often you hit the ball?

Their justification is that they can then remove a number of rules by ruling that a ball lost or OOB means no points. No three of the tee, no provisional balls. Most importantly of all, it would prevent endless threads about whether a ball can be declared lost or not; what happens if I don't want to find my ball and my opponents insist on searching for it; and can I go back and play a provisional or not. For that last reason alone, it seems worthy of consideration. (Only joking!)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Their justification is that they can then remove a number of rules by ruling that a ball lost or OOB means no points. No three of the tee, no provisional balls. Most importantly of all, it would prevent endless threads about whether a ball can be declared lost or not; what happens if I don't want to find my ball and my opponents insist on searching for it; and can I go back and play a provisional or not. For that last reason alone, it seems worthy of consideration. (Only joking!)

Not had chance to read it all yet but are you saying that if I hit a ball OOB, I wouldn't be allowed to put another one into play? How do I then complete my medal round?

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Not had chance to read it all yet but are you saying that if I hit a ball OOB, I wouldn't be allowed to put another one into play? How do I then complete my medal round?
In the version they refer to as code 2, there are no medal rounds; all scoring is done on a stableford points basis. Even match play holes are determined by the person who scores most points on a hole, rather than no of strokes taken.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tweaking imo, so not orthwhile.

Unless we go back to something like the original rules, there's too many situations and conditions still possible for these to be truly 'simple'.

The actual 'trouble' that I see with the current rules is access and speed of location of the relevant rule. Easy to do at home, but not while out on the course!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the version they refer to as code 2, there are no medal rounds; all scoring is done on a stableford points basis. Even match play holes are determined by the person who scores most points on a hole, rather than no of strokes taken.

Then I'm out, absolute nonsense of a suggestion that I'm not even going to bother reading

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even match play holes are determined by the person who scores most points on a hole, rather than no of strokes taken.

I'll find time to study them soon, but first reaction to that is to query what happens when neither player scores a point? Is the hole halved? Are we to lose these tensely dramatic moments when we settle to a winning putt in 8?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Closed mind then.

Because I don't agree I have a closed mind? Interesting.

Frankly, I find any suggestion the eliminates medal as a format, and penalises 1 bad shot in such a way as just a bit daft. Why should you score no points just because you hit your tee shot OOB. Surely the skill is in scoring points despite hitting a ball OOB?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because I don't agree I have a closed mind? Interesting.

Frankly, I find any suggestion the eliminates medal as a format, and penalises 1 bad shot in such a way as just a bit daft. Why should you score no points just because you hit your tee shot OOB. Surely the skill is in scoring points despite hitting a ball OOB?
Seems as if you read that part though.

The suggestions don't come as a package. There could well be other points that you might have greater regard for if you read it all.