Rules secretary

Mickh12

Visit site
I have been asked id I'd like to be nominated for the post of rules secretary at my local club. Having an interest in the rules I'm tempted to agree but no-one seems to be able to tell me what I'm likely to do. The rules are the rules with the addition of a few specimen local rules, breaches of the rules result in penalty strokes or DQ's. Can any rules secretaries out there enlighten me? Also is it time consuming?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been asked id I'd like to be nominated for the post of rules secretary at my local club. Having an interest in the rules I'm tempted to agree but no-one seems to be able to tell me what I'm likely to do. The rules are the rules with the addition of a few specimen local rules, breaches of the rules result in penalty strokes or DQ's. Can any rules secretaries out there enlighten me? Also is it time consuming?
1) It shouldn't be time consuming
2) Have you got (or have access to) a copy of the Rules of Golf and the Clarifications?
www.randa.org/rules/rules-of-golf-home

Personally I prefer the USGA manual
www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-and-clarifications.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1

Last edited:

Mickh12

Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes I have access to those, and thanks for the links, but so does everyone else. I suppose my question is what does the role actually do?
I wouldn't be so sure, I've never been at a club who has a Rules Secretary.

I can't imagine it is time consuming. I suspect the primary role is to simply be the key person on Committee to refer to if anyone at the club has a rules query. Also review any periodic changes to the Rules of Golf. And to keep an eye on Local Rules, and how they can be used specifically at your own course.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't say I've ever heard of such a position officially, though I guess I fulfill the role at my club all be it without the title.

It shouldn't be very time consuming with the role limited to Annual Review of Local Rules and Terms of Competitions, advising members of periodic changes to the rules, and providing advice to the competition committee on rules quiries from memebers as they arise.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The rules are part of of our competitions sub committee responsibility.

Having been responsible since 2011 the things I have done over the years

Alter the local rules to ensure they are R&A conforming.

Done the in house advertising of the Rules changes, main ones being somewhere in the mid teens, 2020 and 2023.

Ensure our LRs are compliant with the changes.

I have dealt with queries from members and managers when needed.

Where I pay our sub committee is also responsible for handicap issues.

Mickh12

Visit site
The rules are part of of our competitions sub committee responsibility.

Having been responsible since 2011 the things I have done over the years

Alter the local rules to ensure they are R&A conforming.

Done the in house advertising of the Rules changes, main ones being somewhere in the mid teens, 2020 and 2023.

Ensure our LRs are compliant with the changes.

I have dealt with queries from members and managers when needed.

Where I pay our sub committee is also responsible for handicap issues.
Thanks