New Open Championship venue?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well if you wont budge then I wont say :p

(I'd like one heathland / moorland style course on the rota. Just the one, for now :LOL:. Sunningdale is the stand out one I suspect)

Non links courses are used for all the other European Tour events -The Open is a links event , there are already lots of comps played at boring bland parkland coirses already - the Open provides the real test

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Non links courses are used for all the other European Tour events -The Open is a links event , there are already lots of comps played at boring bland parkland coirses already - the Open provides the real test

The real test of what? Surely it can only be the real test of who the best golfer is on a links course?

It's no more of a test of golf than any other tournament that has a field made up of the best players in the world, which the European Tour never otherwise manages. I suppose if that's what you're getting at then I agree, but that's not because it's a links course in my opinion.

Boomy

Visit site
Kingsbarns for me

What might be an interesting idea is to double the entry and play it over three adjacent courses.

North Berwick, Gullane No 1 and Muirfield
Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and St Andrews
Dundonald, Royal Troon and Turnberry Ailsa.
54 hole cut with final round on the 'main' course.

Love this idea!!

peld

Visit site
Trump Aberdeen- would love to see the pro's play the 18th off the back tee in to the prevailing wind

sunshine

Visit site
- North Berwick for the quirkiness
- Dundonald for the test (although there are already enough venues in the area)
- Porthcawl for the Welsh
- Princes because the south east needs more Opens
- The Stadium Course (hasn't been built yet) because it would be fantastic if the R&A built a new championship links course, 8000+ yards long, designed for galleries, accessibility and future technology advances (because most of the current rota are a nightmare to get to and can't be lengthened any more). And then kept it as a public pay and play with an accessible green fee (none of this Muirfield snooty nonsense with women changing in the broom cupboard and banned to the kitchen etc).

sunshine

Visit site
Great call!
How about the PGA National at the Belfry?
We know the Belfry can host big events, it’s central and has good communication links?

???

The Open should be located wherever Coca Cola has its EMEA headquarters to make it easier for sponsors. Somewhere like Uxbridge :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

The real test of what? Surely it can only be the real test of who the best golfer is on a links course?

It's no more of a test of golf than any other tournament that has a field made up of the best players in the world, which the European Tour never otherwise manages. I suppose if that's what you're getting at then I agree, but that's not because it's a links course in my opinion.

yep the real test of golf in the way the sport was created, in the raw format on the links open the weather and natural landscape , that for me is the true test of a golfer and it’s the type of golf that brings out the whole wide range of skill expected from the “Champion Golfer of the Year”.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Realistically I'm not up on the requirements of Open venues and how much they would have to be altered to take into account modern equipment but Dornoch is a. fabulous course in a great setting.